UKC

Peak bouldering with good landings and transport links

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NessMM 26 Jun 2022

Hey there! I live in Sheffield and was wondering if people had suggestions for boulders in the Peak that are easy to get to by public transport (1 bus or train ride away) that also have good landings as I'm planning on heading out alone —ideally looking for things in the high 6s/low 7s that can be done with one pad. Thanks  

deepsoup 26 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Burbage South is probably the most obvious suggestion for starters - bus to Fox House.

Offwidth 26 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Can you outline your experience outdoors so we can help? You probably  know this but outdoor grades are often a good bit harder than indoors, especially in the summer warmth, and the range of styles will be different. Things might be closest to indoor style on grit roofs but you could do with more than one mat with a partner who knows how to spot on those.

Burbage South valley boulders have a great range of problems across the grade ranges but you might need more shade and less rounded holds.

Post edited at 12:39
 Cake 26 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

New Mills Tor by direct train from Sheffield will entertain you for an afternoon and even has some problems that stay dry under the bridge.

Kryank 26 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Another vote for Burbage south, however my puntering around on 4’s, 5’s and an odd 6 is abit below your grade. But again as some one has said, if it’s your first foray outside and the grades you state are what you boulder at indoors you may need to drop a grade or 2 outside. 
either way have fun! 😃

Cake 26 Jun 2022
In reply to Kryank:

There are some classic 7s in the boulder field and on the edge at B South. Attitude inspector on the edge and the sheep spring to mind

Cake 26 Jun 2022
In reply to Cake:

Sorry, I forgot about the solo aspect. Don't bother attitude inspector by yourself (horrible block below)! I did they sheep alone

muppetfilter 27 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Bell Hagg

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/bell_hagg-888/

The 51 bus runs up the top past the golf course

Removed User 27 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Burbage valley is the obvious choice as others have said. After that the Secret garden/mother cap and owler tor worth a look if you stay on 272 bus past Fox House and get off before The Surprise. The 274 bus would allow you to access a very nice circuit of back tor, dovestone tor, coach and horses but also Stanage end and bamford edge too. 

OP NessMM 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Quite comfortable climbing outside, and have been climbing around 6b/6c but always with a spotter. Looking for some projects to get on that I can work myself/get to if I can't seem to drag anyone else along with me. 

Burbage does seem like the obvious choice but not the biggest fan of slopers, especially in this summer heat haha! May give the sheep a try tho as suggested by @Cake

Thanks!

OP NessMM 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Cake:

Ah sick never been, will definitely check it out. Probably smart to give attitude inspector a miss but the sheep looks like another good one - thanks!

deepsoup 28 Jun 2022
In reply to NessMM:

Bus out to Deepcar and explore Wharncliffe maybe? A lot of the landings there are horrific but it might well be worth checking out the Tensile Test area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...