UKC

Tools that work similary to DMM Rebels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RidEr015 27 Jun 2022

Hey everyone, 
Since it's quite impossible to get Rebels these days, I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with them and can recommend better ones that still feel and work similarly to Rebels. I've heard of the Apex and Swtich models, which are supposed to be pretty good. Another tool that looks promising is the Cassin x all mountain. Considering I want to do mostly alpine climbing and some mixed/ice climbing as well, do you have any recommendations on which tools I should choose?

Rampart 28 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015:

>  Since it's quite impossible to get Rebels these days

Have you tried the Tomb Raider forums?

OP RidEr015 28 Jun 2022

Yes, I've tried everything, but they sell for ridiculous prices like $500-700, which is a bit over my budget, so I'm looking for a good alternative.

DaveHK 29 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015:

Why the obsession with Rebels? Most modern axes will be as good or better. What grades are you climbing?

Mowglee 29 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015:

For Alpine climbing, I'd be looking at something substantially lighter than any of those DMM tools. Why are you using the Rebel as a baseline? It's a pretty old design - almost pre-leashless, and even when new it wasn't considered to be that great to use. Loads of better options depending on what sort of routes you want to climb.

The cynic in me wonders if you're angling after a cheap deal on some secondhand Rebels to flog to the tombraider wierdos for a large profit. It wouldn't be the first attempt on here!

gravy 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Mowglee:

Most modern tools can be made to "perform" as well as rebels by spray painting them bright red and wearing a push up bra under your skimpy crop-top, however, don't forget to max out the lip filler for ultimate performance.

DaveHK 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Mowglee:

> The cynic in me wonders if you're angling after a cheap deal on some secondhand Rebels to flog to the tombraider wierdos for a large profit. It wouldn't be the first attempt on here!

It's not even their first attempt!

In reply to RidEr015:

The obvious answer for the usual stuff is unsurprisingly a pair of recent gen Petzl Quarks/ singing rock Bandits/Black diamond Vipers. I'd wager they all climb better than old rebels. the difference between them is largely personal preference.

What do you like about the rebels that you would like to have in your next pair of tools? 

a crap climber 29 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015:

If you're after slightly outdated and heavy tools in particular, I have a set of Charlet Moser Pulsars I'd be willing to part with.

If only they'd used those in Tomb Raider, could have made some decent money off them. Not as cool looking unfortunately 

Ramon Marin 29 Jun 2022
In reply to a crap climber:

Is this an actual thing? People making money off the old Rebels?

a crap climber 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Yup, if you have some knocking about get them on ebay!

They were changing hands for quite a bit after appearing in a Tomb Raider film a few years ago. Occasionally people pop up on here trying to get hold of them (have a look at the op's posting history, they've tried before).

Just had a quick google and there's someone asking for £1000 for a set, which is pretty mental. Especially as it wasn't a particularly good film anyway.

CantClimbTom 29 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015:

Mehh... Tomb raider is old now. Why not get still-retro, but more recent. Have you seen the caving film "The descent"  (the original one, not the second film)?

There, not just a single Lara but a whole gang of bizarrely dressed for the conditions girls. And of course they take an ice axe with them caving (I mean who doesn't?).

Why not work to identify that axe and see if you can get a second hand one here, you'd be one up on your mates. Tomb Raider is getting a bit passé now, The Descent is an upgrade!

L.A. 29 Jun 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:  Grivel Alp Wings would be the money earner there

ScraggyGoat 29 Jun 2022
In reply to L.A.:

Bugger are my Lightwings close enough for the money.,,,

Second thoughts I’ll keep them, they are still a good tool just need to fit some sliding rests and they make the latest Petzl summits and DMM equivalents look weedy.

TobyA 29 Jun 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Tomb Raider is getting a bit passé now, The Descent is an upgrade!

Isn't that the one where they take Charlet Moser Pulsars caving for no obvious reason?

L.A. 30 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA: You had me thinking that I may have been wrong to suggest it was Alp Wings so I did a google search and found this post by some random who seems to confirm I may have been right (3rd post down)

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/culture_bunker/the_descent_as_%27climbing...

Age eh ? Its a bastard.  

TobyA 30 Jun 2022
In reply to L.A.:

Ha ha! Just one of the many things I'm finding out that I thought I remembered clearly but are proven to have completely wrong. 

Last summer I went to Leeds, up around the university for the first time in over 20 years and it had grown, or more stretched out... Some roads went in different directions to how they were in my memory also. Weird! 😆

CantClimbTom 30 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

It might not be failing memory... Was that the first time you'd walked about there sober? 

Michael Porter 30 Jun 2022
In reply to RidEr015: I have a set of rebels if your interested?

Also have an old teradactyl of my uncles but I don’t think they were in tomb raider, maybe raiders of the lost arc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...