UKC

Posh paint brands ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 28 Jun 2022

Farrow and ball

craig and rose 

and ……… ?

im sure there are a couple more of a similar ilk but I can’t think of them

ta

Geras 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Little Greene

Earth Bourne

Mylands and

Fired Earth are the ones I know

LastBoyScout 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

I tried Farrow & Ball white gloss once to do interior woodwork, after my uncle raved about them - it was rubbish! Awful stuff to use and dried so quick it left the brush marks in it - never again.

Chatting with a professional painter once, he was telling me that in the trade, if any customer wanted a Farrow & Ball colour, they'd take it to the nearest Dulux paint dealer and get them to mix it instead!

Ridge 28 Jun 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I tried Farrow & Ball white gloss once to do interior woodwork, after my uncle raved about them - it was rubbish! Awful stuff to use and dried so quick it left the brush marks in it - never again.

> Chatting with a professional painter once, he was telling me that in the trade, if any customer wanted a Farrow & Ball colour, they'd take it to the nearest Dulux paint dealer and get them to mix it instead!

Dulux?

Johnstones Trade Paint surely?

elliot.baker 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Paint is one of those things like hotels in far off countries that I think most people get to use so infrequently (or once) that they can get by with being crap because you use it, realise it's crap and regret buying it, but then don't need paint again for years or ever. Word of mouth reputation clearly isn't strong enough with paint.

Edit: I'm not saying all hotels in far off countries are bad, I'm saying if you pick a crap one, by the time you realise it's crap it's too late because you're already there and have paid!

Post edited at 15:07
 gethin_allen 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> Dulux?

> Johnstones Trade Paint surely?

Depends what you want I guess. While doing a lot of painting renovating the house I found the Dulux gloss to have a much deeper smoother gloss than Johnstone's but their eggshell finish was better. Wilko colour emulsion was excellent and really good value.

As far as posh paint goes, I'm far too tight to buy such stuff but, a former work colleague who worked as a paint formulation technician for a manufacturer would spit every time farrow and ball were mentioned.

Ben Callard 28 Jun 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

We have done a lot with Little Greene, they have a nice colour palette, and it goes on so nicely. It's also very thick so it goes much further than you'd expect. It's more expensive than some paint, but then how often do you decorate? 

I think the National Trust use it on all their properties.  

LastBoyScout 28 Jun 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

The one I really regret buying once was a Valspar one from B&Q - bought as it was a very good colour match for a pair of curtains.

Once the room was painted (2 coats), any little knock and it started peeling off in sheets! Walls were properly prepped and sugar soaped, etc, before painting, so shouldn't have been a prep issue.

When we moved house, we actually left the curtain rail and tie-back hooks in that room, as I was worried that removing them might take large amounts of paint off the wall and I didn't have time to fix it if it did!

Babika 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Why? Are you tendering for 10 Downing St?

Crown professional everytime for me 

Neil Williams 28 Jun 2022

I've used it and found it OK.  It's at the better end of water-based glosses/eggshells.  I won't use oil based any more because the modern oils yellow too much and it looks awful after a relatively short time.  Whereas while it took 3 coats to make it look good, the windowsills etc done in F&B eggshell still look as white as new several years on.

I've not used Johnstone's trade version of that assuming it exists, so it could well be better.

I'd not bother for emulsion, anybody can mix that in the desired colour.

I hate painting anyway...

Post edited at 17:12
In reply to mike123:

Farrow and Ball is absolutely shite. Colours are great but all of their products lack durability. Little Green however is brilliant. Like paint use to be. For interiors; Intelligent Emulsion on the walls and oil based eggshell for the woodwork. Okay, it's wickedly expensive but it'll outlast anything else on the market. Also the coverage is excellent. Every room in our house is painted in Little Green.

Dax H 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> Dulux?

A couple of my mates are decorators and both swear by Dulux gloss. 

Rob Parsons 28 Jun 2022

> When we moved house, we actually left the curtain rail and tie-back hooks in that room, as I was worried that removing them might take large amounts of paint off the wall and I didn't have time to fix it if it did!

Would you normally remove curtain rails etc. when you are moving out a house? Seems a little weird to me. Did you remove all the curtains as well? The light bulbs? ...

nniff 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Windsor & Newton, but you'll be there a while....

OP mike123 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Geras: thanks . Your reply very  helpful and answered my question , heaven forbid . I’m after a small amount to paint a very small chase that I have plastered in . The lady whose wall I have had to make a mess of ,thought it was farrow and ball , and as she is extremely posh I thought it might be too .  Whatever my opinion of the price and quality of their paint , their customer service is faultless . They replied to my email within two hours very politely and with several very helpful suggestions . I think it might be Craig and rose and I have emailed them but so far no reply . 
Edit : I can’t ask her decorator . Unless anybody know a reliable mystic that is ?

Post edited at 22:18
 Maggot 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Paint is only as good as the skill used to apply it, a decent brush does help though.

pec 28 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Just to second some of what has been said above. I've done a lot of painting over the years (I renovate houses) including for other people and often used what they wanted me to use so have used many brands.

Farrow and Ball emulsion is crap and needs 3 coats to get decent coverage. Valspar is sh*te and can leave roller marks (like you get after you've cut the grass), something I've never had with any other paint. Little Greene is beautiful stuff to use but does cost about the same as F&B but then that's posh paint for you!

In reply to Ridge:

> Dulux?

Most of the professional painters in the Derby area use 'Dulux Trade'. 

Alkis 29 Jun 2022

Valspar I find has extremely poor opacity, which is a shame because the finish of the v700 is nice. I've had all kinds of paint peel off, especially if following the British favourite of mist coating rather than using a real primer. Stopped happening once I made the decision that decorators in Greece are not insane after all to actually charge people for primers rather than mist coating and started using stuff like Gardz.

LastBoyScout 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Would you normally remove curtain rails etc. when you are moving out a house? Seems a little weird to me. Did you remove all the curtains as well? The light bulbs? ...

We were moving into a new build house with nothing just after lockdown ended in 2020 and considered taking them all as lots of shops weren't opening fully and we weren't sure about being able to get new ones. In the end, we took the curtains out of the kids bedrooms as temp ones and the dining room curtains are hanging over the front door, but the rest wouldn't have fitted the windows. We had cardboard as curtains in some rooms for a few weeks until we got them sorted out.

Took most of the light fittings for the same reasons - and new owners didn't want them anyway. Some we still use, others we disposed of.

gethin_allen 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Would you normally remove curtain rails etc. when you are moving out a house? Seems a little weird to me. Did you remove all the curtains as well? The light bulbs? ...

Considering that curtain choice is very much a personal thing and good quality curtains are actually very expensive I'd take the curtains with me if I had anywhere to hang them in the new house. A house sale isn't a charity giveaway.

GrahamD 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

According to our local trade centre, the 'filler' used in Farrow and Ball emulsion is the same as used in cheapy emulsions and way inferior to just about any other trade brand.

neilh 29 Jun 2022

I have always been a fan of Crown until we used Farrow and Ball recently . But ours is a 100 year old house, so in a way their colour scheme  matches the house.There can be some cracking offers on Farrow and Ball with B and Q( 3 for 2 and the like)

Crown mixing is very good and I rate the advice you get at their own shops.So I would call in and chat to them, as always find them very helpful about mixing colours etc.

We now use a professional painter- really good- he is fine with F and B.he just says alot of painters are on a fixed price including the paint, so they will always grumble about paying higher prices and look to knock it .Mind you he loves painting older houses ...pays your money take s your choice.

My daughter is always mumbling about lots of other paint brands I have never heard off.

Post edited at 11:32
 elliot.baker 29 Jun 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

yeah we just moved house and they took most of the curtains and a couple of the poles but not all. To be fair I wish they'd taken all the window coverings because I've just been going round changing them and filling holes anyway for months.

They also took the light fittings and did the "mandatory" replacement with basic ceiling roses, but DIDN'T leave light bulbs in every room! So on the first night, whilst trying to put the kids to bed in a new house for the first time, I was walking from room to room with a lightbulb in hand, screwing it in to illuminate the room as and when I needed to.

Stupidly (generously???) I'd not only ensured every single bulb was in place in the house we left, but I actually left the guy about £20 worth of spare light bulbs for various rooms in the house, thinking that I didn't know what light fixtures there would be at the new house anyway so I might not have needed them...

LastBoyScout 29 Jun 2022
In reply to neilh:

> We now use a professional painter- really good- he is fine with F and B.he just says alot of painters are on a fixed price including the paint, so they will always grumble about paying higher prices and look to knock it. Mind you he loves painting older houses ...pays your money take s your choice.

I always remember the lady in B&Q when I just wanted some cheap white paint to do the inside of my garage, which was very dark breeze blocks, to brighten it up.

Asking her advice about a large tin of own-brand emulsion, she just looked at me and said "don't - it's little more than just water"!

Durbs 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Lick is a relative newcomer on the scene, and contrary to other "posh" brands gets very well reviewed in terms of application.

That being said - I could bring myself to pay £86 for 5l of it, so ordered the £1.50 sample and got Duluxe to match it at £40 for 5l.

ChrisBrooke 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Durbs:

Is that the paint equivalent of trying on climbing shoes in-store, then ordering them cheaper online?

birdie num num 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

If you want to rub all your guests noses in it and make them jealous, the plush chalky matt finish of the Paint and Paper Library should fit the bill. Also you can strike a match on the finish anytime you want to light a fag.

NathanP 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Whilst I have no personal experience of this - the staff do all the decorating, my wife likes Farrow and Ball emulsion and claims it covers better and gives a nicer finish than the other brands (Dulux, Crown and various own-brands) she has used,

Moacs 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Expensive, but for white gloss, Bedec Multisurface paint is FANTASTIC.  Not the application (it's a little thin and can take 3 coats), but the result is great and it doesn't appear to yellow ever.

In reply to NathanP:

> Whilst I have no personal experience of this - the staff do all the decorating, my wife likes Farrow and Ball emulsion and claims it covers better and gives a nicer finish than the other brands (Dulux, Crown and various own-brands) she has used,

Me too, we use Farrow and Ball indoors and out. The exterior eggshell seems to weather really well. Just did the new posts and gates at the bottom of the drive, and had all the guttering, soffits and facia renewed last summer. Inside it’s all F&B emulsion, but I think Mrs Paul in Sheffield uses Valspar gloss on the woodwork. We’ve used it on all our renovations and have no complaints at all.

alx 29 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Earthborn paints are really good if you or your house hold suffers from migraines, it’s the slow off-gassing and leaching that adds to the migraine triggers with normal paint and it’s also eco friendly.

Have had it in every room for the last two houses.

Post edited at 21:35
 artif 30 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

> Farrow and ball

> craig and rose 

> and ……… ?

> im sure there are a couple more of a similar ilk but I can’t think of them

> ta

If its available in B&Q it ain't "posh"

SuperstarDJ 30 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Our guy recommended Tikkurila. Not sure if it's posh but it's expensive and Scandinavian so very possibly.

https://www.tikkurila.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk_WVBhBZEiwAUHQCmSha3R7-9oA5tJJc...

Toerag 30 Jun 2022
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

> Our guy recommended Tikkurila. Not sure if it's posh but it's expensive and Scandinavian so very possibly.

As has one of the the local greenhouse businesses - the island was covered with wooden greenhouses at one point which were originally painted with white lead paint. My scout hut is currently being painted with it on the outside, I'll let people know how good it is in a few years. My wooden window guy recommended Osmo Country Colour for woodwork so we used that on our old house windows, but I don't know how it's lasted as we've sold it. A friend says it cracks if subjected to full sun, but we used it on north-facing windows so I can't comment. Osmo oils are great though.

I liked Keim Optil for our old house - Super matt finish suitable for period properties, lets salts through without blistering and can be sanded and touched up easily. It's not so good for high traffic / kids areas as the roughness of the finish picks up dirt easily, but then the affected area can simply be overpainted unlike emulsion which invariably needs the whole wall doing.

Post edited at 21:33
In reply to Ridge:

> Dulux?

If the Derby trade paint centre is an indicator, I think they all have both the Dulux and Johnstones trade paint ... and nothing else

jkarran 01 Jul 2022

> The one I really regret buying once was a Valspar one from B&Q - bought as it was a very good colour match for a pair of curtains.

> Once the room was painted (2 coats), any little knock and it started peeling off in sheets! Walls were properly prepped and sugar soaped, etc, before painting, so shouldn't have been a prep issue.

Similar. I have a room done in B&Q teal over a basecoat of white. Nice colour but the slightest knock and it leaves white spots and streaks. Very annoying, I'll probably re-do it once the toddler has done her worst. Bathroom is similar thinking about it, same paint, different colour, comes off in sheets when masking tape is used and that doesn't have an undercoat of cheap white emulsion.

jk

Jasonic 01 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

If you can find a chip of paint many shops have a scanner that can match it-

A small sample pot would probably do it; 

youtube.com/watch?v=qtJRJVdUFx4&

Bottom Clinger 01 Jul 2022
In reply to artif:

> If its available in B&Q it ain't "posh"

It is in Wigan. 

Edit:  to be fair, paint is considered posh in Wigan. Although vandal prof paint is used by those who can afford it, in their childrens bedrooms. 

Post edited at 21:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...