UKC

Avalanche in the Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 03 Jul 2022
In reply to PaulW:

Just picked up on this, a massive avalanche and a huge portion of the glacier gone. Ascents have been banned so please be forewarned. Terribly sad for the families of the climbers. Be careful out there with these warm temps!

https://www.facebook.com/lfvsuedtirol/videos/2463768940432571/

In reply to PaulW:

Last time I descended down the glacier it was super warm, and snow soft. Not surprised that what looks like one of the seracs above broke away. The glacier is retreating year on year. 

Trangia 04 Jul 2022
In reply to PaulW:

That's awful. 

jon 04 Jul 2022
In reply to beardy mike:

That footage was truely awful. So much bigger than I imaged it could be from such a dead little glacier. I saw a drone shot of where it broke off (which I can't find now) and it was enormous.

beardy mike 04 Jul 2022
In reply to jon:

It's grim - no doubt this will now destabilise the remaining ice cap at the top of the mountain and will hasten the demise of the rest of the glacier. I give it 10 years at the rate it's going...

aostaman 04 Jul 2022
In reply to PaulW:

There are 3 pages of detailed coverage in today’s Corriere della Sera. This is truly grim. 6 known dead, 8 recovered injured, 2 gravely. The agonising discussion is what to do next. The collapse took huge volumes of rock, indeed it describes the total volume of the material as mostly this. There are clearly a number of people unaccounted for.

The Italian benchmark for Alpine temps is the level at which it is 0 degrees, The zero therm. It was above 4000 metres at the time.

In Aosta they have had huge afternoon storms one of which produced golf ball sized hail and the 4000m zero therm is forecast for the next 5 days.

jon 04 Jul 2022
In reply to beardy mike:

>  I saw a drone shot of where it broke off and it was enormous.

Or helicopter, here it is:

https://gripped.com/news/deadly-glacier-collapse-in-italy-at-least-six-kill...

Toerag 04 Jul 2022
In reply to jon:

>  So much bigger than I imaged it could be from such a dead little glacier.

The scary thing is that there are a number of these little glaciers scattered all over the place waiting to calve onto unsuspecting people below.  The one south of the Bocca Del Tuckett on Cima Brenta(?) looked particularly menacing - not big, but just waiting to shed all over the paths below from a great height.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...