UKC

Working holidays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 07 Jul 2022

My daughter is in her mid twenties and doesn't really have a circle of friends. She wants to go on holiday but absolutely doesn't want to book onto an expensive pre-planned trip only to find everyone else is in their 60s. She absolutely isn't in to clubs, music, drinking etc either so the Club 18-32 type thing would fill her with utter dread.

I merrily suggested National Trust working holidays, only to find that apparently they don't exist any more. Are there other equivalent things? Or UK based walking holidays aimed at younger people maybe?

kestrelspl 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

If she fancies alpine stuff the Austrian Alpine Club training week holidays are mostly university or just after university age people. We had a great time when we did it.

Harry Jarvis 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

WOOOF might suit if she has an interest in the environment:

https://wwoof.org.uk/

It can be quite hard work, but a friend has spent a couple of years WOOOFing and found it very rewarding. 

mondite 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

RSPB still do them I think but conservation holidays seem to have dropped in popularity in recent years (btcv used to do them as well). Age bands could be tilted towards the older from my memory of several years back.

Graeme G 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Is VSO still a thing?

OP hms 07 Jul 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

I don't know - my memory is that they were interested in long term volunteering abroad whereas she's after a holiday length thing so about a week and would probably prefer in this country.

Graeme G 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Gotcha. What about a course type thing at Plas Y Brenin or similar?

wercat 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Archaeological Dig?

yeti 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

as wercat says, vindolanda do some volunteer digging

anyway I used to think 60 was old, even when i was 59... : (

peppermill 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

No idea if it's her thing but Event First Aid can be worthwhile and a path into other things.

Especially during summer at music festivals or 3-4 day events. The money is often a bit meh at first aider level but I get the impression that's not really a consideration.

Qualifications wise it's similar to First Aid at Work so not difficult and a lot of companies can guide you through the course.

tspoon1981 07 Jul 2022
In reply to yeti:

> anyway I used to think 60 was old, even when i was 59... : (

When I took care of my 86 year old grandmother, she would always complain about old people, even though 90% of the people she was whinging about were younger than her

OP hms 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Many thanks, some good leads there! Much appreciated.

Bobling 07 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Lundy?  No idea of timings or of the typical make up of a group.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/lundyisland/get-involved/volunteering/work...

Further afield the NPS service in the US looks like it may have some opportunities: https://www.nps.gov/getinvolved/volunteer.htm

I still remember the leaflet I picked up in the late 1990s in a London University Careers Service looking for trail maintenance volunteers in Yosemite.  I put it down instead of taking it further...oh if only : )

Timmd 08 Jul 2022
In reply to tspoon1981:

> When I took care of my 86 year old grandmother, she would always complain about old people, even though 90% of the people she was whinging about were younger than her

Quite right too.

Forest Dump 08 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Much Better Adventures seem to pitch their holidays at a younger demographic, also Macs Adventure

Lots of working holiday / volunteer type things will probably want a longer commitment than a week

Martin W 08 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

How about helping to maintain the drystane dyke that keeps the sheep on the beach on North Ronaldsay?

https://www.nrsheepfestival.com/faq

(Me & the missus have been tempted by that in the past but have yet to actually bite the bullet.)

Post edited at 08:51
 Michael Hood 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Wow!

Neil Henson 08 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Not quite what you were asking for,  but I think there are various sailing ships around the country that offer working holidays. Might be worth looking into as an alternative, if that is of interest to her.

Chris Haslam 10 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

Not really what you asked for but I can recommend UCPA which is a French activity holiday provider for young people that is excellent value for money. Accommodation is in small dorms and very sociable, everyone is doing guided activities or lessons so you instantly meet like minded friendly people. It's mainly winter sports but they have quite a few summer locations too. 

I know a few people that have gone there solo and had a great time. There seemed to be a wide range of ages from late teen to early 40s and people just formed their own groups. 

The UK agent is called Action Outdoors 

JoshOvki 10 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

My other half did 2 weeks at a wolf sanctuary in Portugal before covid happened, which she really enjoyed. She would have been about 27 at the time, and said lots of people from all over the place same sort of age. Website is in Portuguese but good translate does a good job on it.

http://www.grupolobo.pt/programa-signatus/centro-de-recuperacao-do-lobo-ibe...

OP hms 10 Jul 2022
In reply to hms:

many thanks for some excellent suggestions - I'll pass them on to her. Should be something which will fill the bill!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...