UKC

Which mountain bike to buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 21 Jul 2022

Advice needed on which bike to buy.

I need something for pootling around the New Forest, the odd foray into woodland trails, and even rarer play-days on tracks like Ashton Court MTB Trail  (Bristol), oh and some small use around town. I initially had a budget of around £500 but someone has pointed out that I would need to go 2nd hand with that amount. Therefore I've upped it to £650

Is something like this suitable? https://tinyurl.com/Trek-MTB

If not, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

echo34 21 Jul 2022
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I got a Planet X Jack Flash, seems to hold its own on most trails, for bigger stuff I would hire a downhill. 
probably get a hard tail

In reply to echo34:

I probably won't get involved in any 'proper' downhills.

I agree about the hardtail.

Thank you

wbo2 21 Jul 2022

Apparently a Voodoo Braag from Halfords

In reply to wbo2:

> Apparently a Voodoo Braag from Halfords

The spec isn't as good as the Trek though and at only £75 cheaper I think I prefer the Trek.

The Voodoo Bizango Pro is the closest in terms of spec (Forks, brakes, drivetrain etc) and that's coming in at £950

Many thanks

MisterPiggy 21 Jul 2022

And you wouldn't like to buy a used one? Seems like you could get a better bike for the same money.

j

mondite 21 Jul 2022

Decathlon have some well equipped for the price bikes.

In reply to MisterPiggy:

> And you wouldn't like to buy a used one? Seems like you could get a better bike for the same money.

I did think about it, but decided I don't know enough about bikes to be confident of getting a deal.

If I buy new then there is back-up in the fact I can take it back or demand repair etc.

Thank you

In reply to mondite:

> Decathlon have some well equipped for the price bikes.

Yep, my roadie is a BTwin and I love it.

I liked the look of this, similar price and spec, but sold out haha

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/27-5-inch-mountain-bike-rockrider-st-900/_/R-...

ChrisJD 21 Jul 2022

This recent thread was covered most of this: 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/biking/entry_level_mountain_bike-749683

jt232 21 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-frontier-sx-eagle-rigid-ex-display-bike-...

it’s got a rigid fork but for what you describe shouldn’t be a deal breaker

climber34neil 21 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

I was just about to say that, obviously I'm far from having any clue whatsoever,  but what I can say is ( cue the craig david music ) that I picked up my trek roscoe on Monday, took her for a ride on Tuesday,  practiced some jumps on Wednesday and smiled on Thursday Friday and Saturday!!

Post edited at 21:17
 ChrisJD 21 Jul 2022
In reply to climber34neil:

> .... smiled on Thursday Friday and Saturday!!

Welcome - you've passed the MTB entry level requirement.  A roadie would never smile !

In reply to jt232:

>  

> it’s got a rigid fork but for what you describe shouldn’t be a deal breaker

Ilike the look of that, I'm away for a week tomorrow but will definitively pay Alpkit a visit if its still available when I get back. 

Thank you

Edit: and at that price I could squeeze to buying Rockshix Judy as an extra. 

Post edited at 22:32
 mondite 21 Jul 2022

> I liked the look of this, similar price and spec, but sold out haha

My initial comment was going to be "whatever is in stock in roughly the right price range and size" but decided that was a tad negative.

I've just seen a Marlin 7 in a bone shed at a station. Looks great, I might just bite the bullet. 

Mini Mansell 25 Jul 2022

For your intended use you will be fine,  but consider that if you turn into a "mountain biker".  you will soon outgrow that bike.

There is a term.  BSO.     it stands for Bike Shaped Objects.

Many things look like a bike.   but when put to use. let the owner down.

you would be far better using your £650 to by a used calibre bossnut.   brill bikes.   and they wont let you down.

magma 06 Aug 2022

did you get anything? my latest impulse purchase is a little used  https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/avalanche-expert-3091 - not light and i'm no mtb expert but i like it for £500. thinking of an electric conversion maybe..

65 07 Aug 2022

For that budget I'd go secondhand, eBay is generally good and my most used bike shop.

Brand etc isn't really important. Unless you are short, get a 29er, it will be more versatile. Suspension forks make a huge difference off road but aren't essential unless you want to predominantly go 'mountain biking.' You can ride rough stuff without the, you'll just be slower and it will be a lot more tiring. This may not matter.

I'd look at Planet X/On One, Sonder and Canyon. You might find an On One Inbred 29er on eBay, a brilliant bike (I had one) if slightly crude and heavy but very cheap. Otherwise there should be no end of Specialzed Rockhoppers or their Trek/Kona/Giant equivalents at your price point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...