UKC

Nichelle Nichols RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 65 31 Jul 2022

Aside from a groundbreaking role in a groundbreaking series, she was probably my first crush, albeit when I was too young to understand why I was mesmerised. Always came over as a lovely person too. RIP to a television giant.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jul/31/nichelle-nichols-lt-uhura-s...

Offwidth 01 Aug 2022
In reply to 65:

I think it gave a great many people hope for a better future where racism and sexism were less prevalent than around us in our lives, alongside the end of capitalism and toxic nationalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols 

wercat 01 Aug 2022
In reply to 65:

“Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from and draw inspiration.”

what a marvellous thing to write

OP 65 01 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Seemingly the direction for the 'interracial kiss' scene was to shoot two versions for the studio bosses to review for approval as they had cold feet over it. One scene had the kiss implied but not seen and the other, which Roddenberry wanted and of course which we all saw, has the kiss centre stage. So Nichols and Shatner deliberately and repeatedly fluffed the non-kiss take so they had to use the history making one. 

Trangia 01 Aug 2022
In reply to 65:

> Aside from a groundbreaking role in a groundbreaking series, she was probably my first crush, albeit when I was too young to understand why I was mesmerised.

You and Barack Obama too!

In reply to 65:

Known in certain circles as "lieutenant uhura you would, wouldn't you"

Ground breaking actress RIP.

Offwidth 01 Aug 2022
In reply to 65:

Wasn't  the first though. The impact on such a show was the historic bit and it's telling that the show plotted the kiss as being forced.

OP 65 01 Aug 2022
In reply to Trangia:

> You and Barack Obama too!

Ha ha, yes I read that last night. He can get behind me, I'm older than him.

Edit, just checked, he's older than me. He can still get behind me, I'm bigger than him

Post edited at 11:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...