UKC

Hints and tips - walking in Madeira

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnlc 01 Aug 2022

My family and I are off to Madeira for our summer hols.  I have purchased the Cicerone Madeira guide (naturally) but am still at a bit of a loss.  So, two questions:

1.  Do we need to lug walking boots across there, or are trainers etc sufficient?

2.  Any good suggestions for walks to do?  I don't really want to just wander along levadas, pleasant though I am sure it is.

Thank you very much for any advice and suggestions.

Matt Podd 01 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Trainers will probably fine. The Levada’s are great, some quite exciting with surprising exposure. Take torches for the tunnels. 
The guide will tell you about the hill walks. Also very fine with amazing scenery and geology. Seawater swimming pools are good. Enjoy 

annieman 01 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

I went in Feb 2020 and will be going back this Nov. Walking shoes will be fine. There are three bus companies in Madeira and they have apps to help you work out where to go. Finding the pick points, in Funchal I found challenging - will be doing more research before I go again. 

Trangia 01 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

The peninsula sao lourenco

Is a must on a nice day. Fantastic coastal cliff scenery, quite exposed in one or two spots, but protected by cable fencing. The final peak is a steep hike up and down a heavily worn/eroded path.

Go early as it's one of the most popular routes on the island and can get crowded. Well serviced by buses to the start/finish.

http://www.theculturemap.com/peninsula-sao-lourenco-hike-madeira/ 

Good luck with your landing at the airport. We went in February this year with EasyJet, and due to high winds had to be diverted several times once back to Gatwick, once to a neighbouring island where we sat on the tarmac waiting in vain for the wind to ease, then diverted to Faro, and once to Lisbon where we had to stay overnight before finally succeeding in landing in a strong and frightening cross wind. It took us 4 days of attempts to get there, so we lost half our holiday. We have since learnt that Madeira is notorious for failed landing attempts being one of the most difficult airfields in Europe for landing - experiences like ours are quite common. If you do encounter delays, diversions etc. insist on getting proper receipts from taxis, hotels etc. EasyJet tell you that they will reimburse you, but they don't and we have had an ongoing fight with them to get reimbursed. They don't answer correspondence, their customer service is appalling and despite promises made on the flights and airports they do not honour them. We are getting nowhere with them. If any of their staff, particularly ground staff make any promises to you, get that person's name, and record everything.

Also be aware that you could meet similar problems going home if the outcoming aircraft can't land and you have given up your hotel accommodation - fortunately our return flight went ok.

Good luck! It's a fabulous island if you can get there!

rif 02 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

The traverse of the highest peak (Pico Ruivo, 18xx m) and its neighbours is stunning. You can get a taxi (possibly bus?) to quite high up (1500 m from memory) but there still a fair bit of up and down, especally if you return  the same way. We descended on foot all the way to Funchal but that's a real leg-burner unless you are alpine fit.

A quick search came up with this but there's probably better info somewhere: https://www.madeiraallyear.com/en/hike-in-the-highest-peaks-of-madeira/

freeflyer 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Matt Podd:

+1 for the levadas

Gav Parker 02 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Hi Ive been a few times to Madeira…

The traverse of the highest peaks is stunning if you get the views…as mentioned you may need to get dropped off and picked up or walk in and out the same way if you hire a car.

Another shout for the Peninsula walk fantastic coastal scenery…can be busy as mentioned.

The Levada’s are great but can take a little planning if you thinking of using the local buses…

Enjoy whatever you do a fantastic Island…

Treat yourself to afternoon tea at Reids..

Walking shoes will be fine no need for boots.

Post edited at 23:10
 fmck 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

As has been said the airport landing can be quite something. I've been to Corsica a couple of times and found it a pretty rough approach but Madiera was my roughest approach yet. 

Its been a while since there but I did a remote hill that I started from a high pass. I parked at the side of the road on the pass and walked out to it. I never met another sole and it was a normal footpath except the last scramble to the summit that had a wee cable running up. On return I found the pass full of people and my car taped off with police tape. I spoke to the police and they said there was a car rally on and I wouldn't be able to move the car for three hours. I got a seat at the cafe on the top of the pass and expected a long boring wait. I got anything but it was an amazing thing to watch. At the summit of the pass there was a turn with a large retaining wall. I lost count how many cars walloped this thing in spectacular fashion. Fantastic day out.

OP johnlc 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate these personal replies that people have taken the trouble to write.  I am looking forward to it even more.  I have looked up the walk up the Pico Ruivo and it sounds great.

(Might not tell the family about the white-knuckle landing though - they'll find out soon enough...)

annieman 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

From my last trip, Easy Jet made it quite clear that the conditions for a safe landing were always being reviewed. They left me with the knowledge that we may not land on Maderia on schedule.

S11 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Been twice and luckily had great landings/take offs from the airport both times. Personally I took lightweight walking boots rather than trainers and was very glad I did, there is some rough ground at times. Also, don't assume that all levadas are easy, many are, but some are long, exposed with no fencing and big, intimidating drops, also the access to and from levadas can be very steep and hard work. Another recommendation for the Sao Lourenco walk. A real favourite of ours was the Lombada da Ponta do Sol. We were very disappointed with the Cicerone guidebook and used the Rother guide (by Rolf Goetz) exclusively after the first couple of days, much better.

BuzyG 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Lovely Walking in Madeira. Trainers/ Walking shoes will be fine. +2 for the levadas.  Hope you have a great trip.

annieman 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

Walk 10 in the cicerone book, Porto da Cruz to Ribeira Seca. This is an enjoyable airy walk. Study the bus timetable. I took the all stopper that took for ever, but dropped me at the start. The quick bus drops you outside of town.

Cant wait to go back.

annieman 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

A torch if no one has already mentioned it. Some of the walks have tunnels. Great fun and some of them come with en suite showers.

SimonCRMC 03 Aug 2022
In reply to johnlc:

I'm on hols in Madeira atm and did Pico Ruivo today. As well as the comments about torches for tunnels I'd add to take plenty of water. It was HOT up there today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...