UKC

Leschaux, Argentiere Huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Nuttall 20 Aug 2022

Last summer mountaineering trip to Chamonix was 12 years ago. Going there on solo trip first two weeks September, now aged 77, still very happy on exposed rugged terrain and dry glaciers but about 1000m of ascent is quite enough. Want to be in the mountains, revisit huts and spend the night there. Comments on going (solo) to Leschaux and Argentiere huts welcomed. What's the score on getting onto the Mer de Glace nowadays. Any ideas on peaks, happy to solo PD+ rock. Will have crampons, ice axe.

PJ2398 20 Aug 2022
In reply to John Nuttall:

Hi John,

interested in replies to your post too. My climbing partner and I are heading out in a couple of weeks but he has an injury which will prevent him carrying a heavy bag or doing long days. Maybe just as well given current conditions! 

Just been looking at options and we are possibly looking at the Aiguille de La Berangere above the Conscrits hut, which is easily doable solo and no glacier crossing. 

Also just been looking at a day route from the Montenvers station, which is the Fretes des Charmoz on L’Aiguille de lM.

It sounds like the Crochues Traverse may also tick your boxes, with a stay at the Refuge de Lac Blanc?

It looks like the Argentiere hut is closing on 8th September. 

TonyM 20 Aug 2022

Glad to hear you're still going strong, John. Voyaging the Royal Traverse of Mont Blanc with you remains a treasured memory of one of the most aesthetic ways to spend a few days in the high mountains. Tony

monkey man 20 Aug 2022

Just left Cham. Conditions poor for snow stuff following heat wave, depending on objective may be worth keeping an eye on. I Think the Argentiere lift is closed if that influences things. Still lots to do, have a great time. 

OP John Nuttall 21 Aug 2022
In reply to monkey man:

Thanks very  much to everyone for their replies. Will certainly look into suggestions made and am following weather and conditions. Hi Tony, the Domes de Miage, Aiguille de Bionassay, Mont Blanc, Mont Maudit multi day traverse was absolutely up there with my best ever Alpine excursions and the way it occurred to us on the last minute and we made it happen adds a special magic.

Post edited at 10:47
 jon 21 Aug 2022

The difference between the Mer de glace 12 years ago and now is frightening. I hope you're not disappointed!

profitofdoom 21 Aug 2022
In reply to jon:

> The difference between the Mer de glace 12 years ago and now is frightening....

It's being renamed the Mer de Gravier*

*gravel

philipjardine 21 Aug 2022
In reply to monkey man:

> Just left Cham. Conditions poor for snow stuff following heat wave, depending on objective may be worth keeping an eye on. I Think the Argentiere lift is closed if that influences things. Still lots to do, have a great time. 

Plan Joran lift from Argentière is running 8.30-4 at the moment

BruceM 22 Aug 2022

I caught the Plan Joran lift and walked in to Argentiere Refuge area for a bivvy recently. It is a great trip without too much up and down. Good for the knees, which I think is what you are after. Easy walk on/off glacier access. 100 m or so of easy ladders chains rails to get up and over the section below the old Grand Montet top lift. 3-4 hour trip to Refuge depending on how fast you want to make it.

Not sure about Mer du Glace access. Lots of signs in Chamonix showing all the routes around Montvers that are closed. Including the normal ladders. Haven't worked out what is open.

Ag. Genepi above Albert Premiere Refuge is always a good solo trip.  Berangere also although longer walk. Ag. Rouge awesome if lifts still running.

PJ2398 22 Aug 2022
In reply to BruceM:

I’ve just been trying to work out which paths are closed around Montenvers and, having looked at the latest decree I can find (below- if the link works!), it looks like the ladders down to the Met de Glacé are closed, along with the path to them. It says you can access the ice caves via the gondola only and I’m not sure if that gives direct access to the glacier itself. Obviously you can walk up from lower down the glacier.
https://www.chamoniarde.com/images/files/arr%C3%AAte%20de%20fermeture%20sen...

I’m not clear from the map whether the path to the Signal Forbes is open- does anyone have local knowledge on this? If not, I’ll call in at the Guides bureau when we arrive.

OP John Nuttall 22 Aug 2022
In reply to PJ2398:

That's really useful, thanks for all replies. The link worked for me. I exited the Mer de Glace from the ice cave and used the gondola after skiing the Valle Blanche about 4 years ago. This was straightforward and a pleasant surprise - I was expecting an uphill slog carrying skis.

jon 22 Aug 2022
In reply to PJ2398:

> It says you can access the ice caves via the gondola only and I’m not sure if that gives direct access to the glacier itself. 

No, there's another 462 steps down go the glacier. And of course, back up...

Yes, they try to make you use the lift, saying that the path down is dangerous. It's not.

Post edited at 15:00
 tcashmore 22 Aug 2022

> That's really useful, thanks for all replies. The link worked for me. I exited the Mer de Glace from the ice cave and used the gondola after skiing the Valle Blanche about 4 years ago. This was straightforward and a pleasant surprise - I was expecting an uphill slog carrying skis.

In my experience it still is a hell of a slog even with the gondola as the Glacier has shrunk by 100's of meters since the gondola was built !

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...