UKC

'Pop in the Shop' Bike Lock for Bikepacking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 27 Aug 2022

I'll be heading over to Corsica for 10 days of bike packing in the mountains next month and I am looking into getting a tiny 'pop into the supermarket quickly' type lock.  Nothing to deter actual thieves, but just stop opportunistic scallywags from half inching my bag-ladden carbon gravel bike while I pop into a village shop quickly for some snacks.

I'll be doing close to 20,000m of ascent, so needs to be super light.  Looking at either the Hiplok Z Lok (very cheap and light... would get 2) or the Ottolock which seems a tad beefier but 10x the price (not sure it would actually be any better in its intended use).

Any recommendations of these two locks (or others) for very light duty while bike packing/touring?

tehmarks 27 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I have a couple of the Hiplok Z locks for that exact reason. They can also do double-duty cable-tying things to the frame if your bikepacking setup is a bit...improvised...like mine, and so I rate them quite highly.

Dave B 27 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

ABUS WEB 1200/60

But you can't change  the combination on mine. Not sure if it's been updated 

OP crayefish 27 Aug 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks mate.  How do you find the durability of the head?  I read quite a few reports about needing to bend the teeth back in place after light use.

Had looked at the Abus too, but reviews weren't great and I think it looks too flimsy even for a shop-lock (as a visual deterrent).

tehmarks 27 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I haven't used them extensively, to be entirely honest, and I haven't ridden my bike in about 18 months. I didn't have any issues with them over probably a couple of weeks of total use, but I could imagine them potentially suffering from that sort of problem.

spenser 27 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I have been very happy with my Hiplok Spin, it is a bit heavier but I use it as my only lock when bikepacking. 

supersteve 27 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

For ultra cycling I have a Dakine snowboard lock. Super small and light. Wouldn't stop a proper bike thief, but is enough to ensure someone doesn't just take your bike whilst you grab a sandwich. 

Sam W 28 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I use a PlanetX Cafe lock for this, compact, light and very cheap.  It is only intended to put off the opportunist, I wouldn't trust it to hold up for more than a few seconds if somebody really wanted to steal your bike.

This looks like a slightly higher security alternative that would do a similar job

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessorieslocks/safeman-compact-pocket-cable-l...

Dave B 28 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Thing is, if you are looking at something that will work to prevent someone just walking off with your bike, then you want something reliable in terms of function.

I would not trust a z lok to still be working every time, like I would the abus. The advantage of the zlok is significantly lighter, but not any more secure 

Neither will stop someone with a leatherman tool, or wire cutters. Nor will most/any  cafe locks.

Avoid the zlok combination. It's awful. The combination drifts. 

GrahamD 28 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

The Decathlon light weight locks.  Wraps round any standard saddle bag for easy stowage.

OP crayefish 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dave B:

Of course on UKC, 7 different people, 7 different suggestions. 

I can see your point about reliability of Z-lok.  I guess its the convenience and having 2 for the price that is appealing (if one fails, the other should hopefully work).  And also Tehmarks point about them doubling up for strapping duties.  Though... what does one do with the strapped items when the lock is in use?  🤔

I've heard bad things about the combo version indeed, with the drifting, and would stay well clear of it.

The more I look into this online, the more I actually lean to the Ottolok.  Obviously more expensive, but I suppose small fry compared to bike and gear.  But I like that it seems very strong against leatherman type pliers/wire cutters which I would guess are tools that folk might have on their person casually.  Wraps up small and has a seemingly reliable combo.  Would really like feedback on that one but so far no UKC folk seem to use it.

Dave B 29 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Of course, we all have different ideas. The otto lok was just too expensive for me to consider for a cafe lock.

I guess you've read this.. 

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/bike-lock/otto-designworks-ot...

I have used a long cable with padlock before when using panniers. The braided type of cable with the loop at the ends, with keyed abus lock, or a 4 digit combination (not masterlock) . Much heavier than a cafe lok, but more secure... But still not as heavy as a u lock 

Stenton 29 Aug 2022
In reply to supersteve:

> For ultra cycling I have a Dakine snowboard lock.

I had one of these. Once I couldn't find anything to lock the bike to so locked the rear wheel through the frame. Of course, I forgot when I returned and went to set off - cue the lock exploding in a flurry of plastic, dials and wire. It didn't even ping the spoke. I don't think these would stop anyone prepared to get physical with a bike even if locked to something immobile.

Safeman lock linked to above was my next purchase - but with the downside of keys

Neil Williams 29 Aug 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Those look like you could release them with a couple of bradawls.  Not sure I would trust an expensive bike to them for any length of time.

tehmarks 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

I'm only commenting on the basis of the OP: 'nothing to deter actual thieves, but...'. If someone wanders past with a pair of bradawls and deploys them on a notionally locked bike, I'd have to assume that they are actually a thief.

TobyA 29 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Funnily enough I read this thread earlier sat in a cafe in Dent, (it took a LONG time for them to make one latte!) towards the end of a 3 day bikepacking trip. So took the following photo when I went back out to my bike. The lock is an Abus that I've had for years but is about the right size for me to carry while not worrying that someone could cut it with a Leatherman's pliers.

I've been using campsites so have been wondering about bike security on campsites. There was an American (maybe Canadian actually from the accent - but said he had lived in Florida ) on the campsite this morning who had bikepacked from Portugal on this amazing Surly. I asked about his dynamo, the hub gears, his amazing homemade bikepacking bags, but didn't think to ask if/how he locked his bike!

nniff 29 Aug 2022

iIn reply to TobyA:

Z-locks for me.  One if i'm in a group - lock two pedals together, with bikes facing in opposite directions. On my own - one or two locks depending on paranoia and perceived risk.  key fits on the lock, but i keep mine on a piece of string - harder to lose.

Mine show no sign of wear despite regular use

Dark-Cloud 31 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

What i have done in the past is just take the front wheel out and take it in the shop with you, bike can still be lifted but it's not as appealing, and the getaway will be slower.

These are easily defeated but stop it being wheeled away too easily

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLJOLO/jobsworth-retractable-cable-lock

top cat 31 Aug 2022

If you have disc brakes, just a padlock on the rotor will work for the level.of security the OP wants.

But no good if you want to fix the bike to a post etc.

OP crayefish 13 Sep 2022
In reply to crayefish:

So, in the end I decided to buy a pair of Z Loks as they were so cheap, light and convenient.  I am still considering to buy an Ottolock as well, but might start to be overkill for the purpose.

If I can find shops in the smaller Corsican villages, I'll probably feel fine about leaving the bike outside for a couple of minutes.  I'm actually doing a couple of one way car rentals (I buggered up my flights, being the tool that I am) so it means I can at least do the initial shop (including buying camping gas) without fear as the bike will be in the car.

Will report back how they fair over the 10 days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...