UKC

2 man 3 season 1.5kg tent options?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 29 Aug 2022

So I have a Terra Nova Laser competition for mountain marathons which fits two (just) and an MSR Elixir for single overnighters where weight isn’t an issue. Looking to fill the gap between the two for something to use when fast and light multi days, bikepacking etc something around 1.5kg freestanding better, looked at the MSR Hubba Hubba but the pack size seems quite big, any thoughts or recommendations?

CantClimbTom 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

A mate of mine has a Nordisk Telemark 2. I was skeptical that it was too light and would be too flimsy for real use (e.g. in any wind) but I kipped in it recently and it was ******** good! Changed my opinion that ultralight tents were always rubbish.

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/telemark-2-lw-tent/

932g excluding pegs, pitches easily in rain because the poles go in the outer and you put the outer up first. The inner tent goes up second under shelter of the outer, you could even bivvy camp with just the outer, but it's so light you may as well get the benefit of the inner. Nice 2/3 season tent. Space for 2 people and kit, can cook in porch

Post edited at 08:55
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

MSR freelite 2. 

ben b 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have mentioned the Durston X-Mid 2P many times before, but will do so again as there is more stock coming in soon. https://durstongear.com 

They generally sell out within a few minutes of being released to market, the demand is huge and supply constrained. Fortunately they are getting better established these days and so can have a bigger order run than before, but it's still a bit of a lottery actually getting one. 

I have an original 2P, with mesh inner. It's very strong and very light, very well made, and the design is fabulous in terms of liveability. When I bought it there was no solid inner option which would be my preferred style - but there is now. Also if you are bikepacking the designer (Dan) has an adjustable carbon fibre pole design coming out which sounds to be an excellent design and worth waiting for if you don't take trekking poles with you on the bike

Inner tents can be mesh or solid but can't yet be purchased separately (sadly). There's also a pretty remarkable 2P DCF version that's only 600g - you could sell the Laser Comp!

Reasoned review here https://www.adventurealan.com/durston-x-mid-2p-tent-review/

hth

b

spenser 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Sierra Designs Studio 2 has been great for me, decent amount of space for 2 I would think. Otherwise maybe one of the Big Agnes bikepacking tents? 

ben b 29 Aug 2022
 Dangerous Dave 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have the Nordisk Halland 2 LW which ticks all your boxes.

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/halland-2-lw-tent/

MischaHY 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

You're pretty much describing the Hubba Hubba exactly. Pack size is not bad IMO. 

OP Dark-Cloud 29 Aug 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Cheers, never considered Nordisk, seems a few have been mentioned, the Telemark looks very similar to the TN Laser

In reply to ben b:

Thanks, I have seen similar shapes to these, they look good, is it specific to them? Wondering what the other one I saw was, had a full mesh inner

In reply to MischaHY:

Cheers, they do look pretty good, been very impressed with the Elixir 2 so far.

galpinos 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have a Big Agnes Tiger Wall 2. Really like it, very light and roomy for the size. New/current solution dyed version has more mesh so maybe less warm for three season. Only semi free standing. No idea if better/worse then Hubba Hubba/Freelite/Sierra designs or Nemo equivalent as haven't used them. Infinitely better for size and livability than a Laser competition though!

Nordisk Telemark beats it for "sturdiness in wind" but you will be drenched in condensation. Take your pick!

TobyA 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm reviewing an MSR Freelite 2 for UKC currently. I was originally meant to do the Freelite 1, but they sent me a 2 as they don't have any 1s in the country currently! I held off using it for sometime but as the supply situation doesn't seem to be improving in the end decided I might as well start using it. Amazingly it is lighter than the 1 person Macpac which was my lightest tent. All bagged with 2 additional pegs added it weighs 1147 grams. It's not full free standing but close to it. I've only used it on my own so far, it won't be palatial for two but there are doors and alcoves on both sides. I've not used it in poor weather yet, but it kept me dry in overnight rain the other day. I've not reached any conclusions yet, but so far so good and impressively light. Worth considering at least!

OP Dark-Cloud 30 Aug 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers, i think it was maybe your review of the Elixir that made me buy that!

What's with he Freelite end that has the inner exposed, not to sure about that as a design if i'm honest, what's the thinking behind that?

Nordisk Halland 2 is currently top of the pile at the moment but i'm not adverse to the MSR as the Elixir is a brilliant tent for the money and they seem very well thought out

OP Dark-Cloud 30 Aug 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Cheers, used to being drenched in condensation with the TN Laser Comp, its utterly ridiculous the  amount it generates, that's even with a few ventilation hacks employed.

The New NickB 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've got a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL2, about 1.1kg or just under 1kg if you dispense with the bags. Only used in benign conditions, but YouTube throws up some videos of them coping well in relativety poor conditions.

Surprising amount of space and good headroom. We use MSR Elixir 2 as backpacking tents for our Scouts / Explorers, so I have tested them out and whilst I think it is a good tent, I prefer the Tiger Wall for comfort.

Relatively cheap as well.

Post edited at 22:25
 TobyA 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> What's with he Freelite end that has the inner exposed, not to sure about that as a design if i'm honest, what's the thinking behind that?

It's a way of making it lighter I think. At that end the bathtub groundsheet just goes up so you need less flysheet. When it rained I saw that bit was wet on the outside but it's obviously it's waterproof so no issue. I've seen the same design on a number of other US tents, Big Agnes in particular I think it was.

RedFive 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I’ve been using this all summer (Lakes and Cheviots, 600m altitude wild camps generally) and extremely impressed with it. 

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/tents-tarps/lightweight-backpacking-...

You need a few quid in the bank though. 

RedFive 31 Aug 2022
In reply to RedFive:

‘Reduced’ at the moment in Cotswold Outdoor 

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/sea-to-summit-telos-tr2-plus-tent-D131413...

Solid, loads of space especially height (I’m 6 ft 2 and missus is 5 ft 7) good ventilation. Really well designed but of kit. Being able to split the load very useful. 

Steve5543 31 Aug 2022
In reply to RedFive:

Second vote for the telos by sea to summit . Handles high wind well. The “roof” bit made snow a bit of an issue but the poles bounced back. Condensation seemed manageable with 2 people in it. Decent amount of space and the addition of the shelf made that even better.

Post edited at 08:01
OP Dark-Cloud 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Steve5543:

Thanks, will take a look

Ramblin dave 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

We've got a Lightwave g15 raid. 1.7kg, feels solid, reasonably hefty fabric for better UV resistance / longer life, takes two people fairly comfortably.

outdoorstu 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I generally like my tents to be safe havens that I know are going to hold up in bad weather so I tend to go a little heavier.

My Hubba Hubba NX 2 down to just under 1.5kg if I take titanium pegs and leave all the stuff sacks at home. Plenty of space for you and your kit in the porch. I really enjoy cooking in this tent, even in bad weather. So much room and ventilation. Definitely not for winter though, it’ll be full of snow I reckon.

I also have a Terra Nova Voyager which is bomb proof 4 season and only about 1.8kg. Heavy gales, snow, sheep scratching post - I’ve abused it and it’s still great condition. I believe the ultra lightweight version does down to 1kg but you’ll need a mortgage to buy it.

In reply to outdoorstu:

> I generally like my tents to be safe havens that I know are going to hold up in bad weather so I tend to go a little heavier.

> My Hubba Hubba NX 2 down to just under 1.5kg if I take titanium pegs and leave all the stuff sacks at home. Plenty of space for you and your kit in the porch. I really enjoy cooking in this tent, even in bad weather. So much room and ventilation. Definitely not for winter though, it’ll be full of snow I reckon.

> I also have a Terra Nova Voyager which is bomb proof 4 season and only about 1.8kg. Heavy gales, snow, sheep scratching post - I’ve abused it and it’s still great condition. I believe the ultra lightweight version does down to 1kg but you’ll need a mortgage to buy it.

Ive also got the voyager which is utterly dependable and easy to pitch. Ive had this on mountainsides blowing hoolies of epic proportions. 2 people though? It claims to be 2 man but I would restrict that to my wife or someone I know very, very well. 

Snug for two, I would say.

outdoorstu 18 Sep 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Yea you’re right - it is snug. Great to stay warm though

cardingmill 19 Sep 2022
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

Big fan of this myself, has never let me down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...