UKC

Batu Cave - partner or guide this Thursday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy healey 30 Aug 2022

Hello!

I'm in KL this week and am free on Thursday and would love to climb at Batu

Would anyone like to partner up for some routes? I'm out of route shape so probably climbing in the 6's, happy to lead or second. (Caveat, I have shoes and chalk bag with me, would need to borrow or rent harness and kit).

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a guide? 

Thanks!

Post edited at 13:24
 Alex Riley 30 Aug 2022
In reply to andy healey:

I haven't seen him in a while but my friend Rhodri is an outdoor instructor based there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/byhoutdoors

OP andy healey 31 Aug 2022
In reply to andy healey:

Appreciated, thanks 👍

Bobling 31 Aug 2022
In reply to andy healey:

I have family in KL and have never climbed at Batu (though I've been up the steps to the temple many times) so take this with a pinch of salt but the word has been on previous threads like this that you might be best served popping into the wall at Camp5 at 1Utama Mall and asking about.  Even if you don't hook up with anyone you can still climb at camp 5 and then eat delicious Malaysia mall food so win/win!

As I said with a pinch of salt...or a spoon of sambal : )

OP andy healey 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Bobling:

Wise words, I went out in the heat and humidity this morning and came to the same conclusion - go for the sightseeing, stay for the food

Bobling 31 Aug 2022
In reply to andy healey:

Yeah everything I have read about the routes at Batu says things like "Take mozzie coils to put under them as you climb" doesn't sound like a lot of fun in the heat!  Hope KL is feeling relatively back to normal after COVID restrictions? 

Morty 31 Aug 2022
In reply to andy healey:

I asked my butler Alfred if he could guide you but he is too busy cleaning guano off the car.

OP andy healey 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Bobling:

> Hope KL is feeling relatively back to normal after COVID restrictions? 

My frame of reference is limited, but it's definitely busy. Most folks still wearing masks outdoors, except for the Westerners

Post edited at 12:11
 apache 02 Sep 2022
In reply to andy healey:

Hi AH- drop me an email and I’ll see how I’m placed for climbing either at Batu Caves - Damai or indoors. I’ve my own gear and know the place well. 
just a word- masks are compulsory in indoor public places- we’re not as relaxed about non masking as the UK

Offwidth 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Bobling:

I most commonly stayed in the hotel next door to 1Utama on my business trips to Malaysia. The wall, Camp5, is very friendly and has amazing views. It held quite a bit of information on climbing in Malaysia last time I checked (pre covid).  The wall is good for bouldering or roped climbing and I've climbed there many times but never climbed at Batu Caves. I have jungle trekked quite a few of the biggest mountains out there. Malaysian food is superb in quality and variety and even on price if your not nervous about hawker stalls.

https://www.camp5.com/

Post edited at 09:37
OP andy healey 03 Sep 2022
In reply to apache:

Thanks, that's super-kind of you. Unfortunately it was only a flying visit and I'm now in Indonesia - next time...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...