UKC

Whitehouses - JCB, whatever next

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FactorXXX 30 Aug 2022
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

> BMC, please go back and renegotiate.

The BMC would probably be better off using the whole situation to show what happens when climbers can't follow some simple requests from locals, farmers, etc.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks for that pointless contribution.

• Farmer is not the land owner.
  • the crag is directly above a public footpath.
  • The farmer made zero requests, just vandalised the crag.

The ship has sailed on this one.

Dynamite?

In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

constructive, to say the least. 

FactorXXX 30 Aug 2022

> Thanks for that pointless contribution.
> Farmer is not the land owner.
> the crag is directly above a public footpath.
> The farmer made zero requests, just vandalised the crag.

Here's the information about the bans from UKC and the BMC:
Pretty conclusive...

EdS 30 Aug 2022

We've had issues with some farmers also blocking RoW..... So much so I now carry a pair of fencing pliers when on that side of the dale

In reply to FactorXXX:

• parking. It’s a lay-by. Walkers park there all the time. As long as the gate is not obstructed there is no problem. Certainly not illegal.
  • Local people. The house opposite enjoyed chatting to climbers. Plus I am a local. 
  • lamping. Never saw it but it would not effect anyone.
  • Footpath is sign posted, always has been.
  • Never ever saw litter.
  • Gate never fully opened and the lock is spring loaded.
  • “Person’s unknown” yeh right!
In reply to all;

Didn’t we once upon a time look up to and respect those of the mass trespass on Kinder in the name of open access to all? 

BMC and UKC look a bit soft toeing the establishment line.

Arms Cliff 30 Aug 2022

The gate opened enough to let sheep out, and the farmer was told to ‘get lost’ in slightly ruder terms by climbers when he came down to the crag to tell them after it had been left open. 

Post edited at 22:08
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Trust me. I would doubt that all your hear is to be believed. 

> In reply to all;

> Didn’t we once upon a time look up to and respect those of the mass trespass on Kinder in the name of open access to all? 

>  

> BMC and UKC look a bit soft toeing the establishment line.

Thumbs Down. Lack of militant climbers on UKC.

I have posted a link showing that a crag I know and love could be being destroyed. How many down turned thumbs even realise the importance of this tiny crag, not to mention that we as a community should strive to protect our crags. 
I feel the BMC have not done enough. It’s above a public right of way. Don’t take the BMC reaction / line as being the right answer. In my opinion they are wrong.

Nothing more to say.

Goodnight.

Arms Cliff 30 Aug 2022

> Trust me. I would doubt that all your hear is to be believed. 

Heard by my own ears from the farmer’s mouth! 

And being near a right of way conveys no access for climbing, only Access Land does that. 

Post edited at 23:13

> parking. It’s a lay-by. Walkers park there all the time. As long as the gate is not obstructed there is no problem. Certainly not illegal.

> Local people. The house opposite enjoyed chatting to climbers. Plus I am a local. 

> lamping. Never saw it but it would not effect anyone.

> Footpath is sign posted, always has been.

> Never ever saw litter.

> Gate never fully opened and the lock is spring loaded.

> “Person’s unknown” yeh right!

If climbers behaviour was never a problem and never affected anyone, and local people only enjoyed climbers being there, why was the crag vandalised? What do you think the real issue was?

Although arguing back to “please close the gate” on a public forum won’t win climbers any friends.

ianstevens 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> If climbers behaviour was never a problem and never affected anyone, and local people only enjoyed climbers being there, why was the crag vandalised? What do you think the real issue was?

> Although arguing back to “please close the gate” on a public forum won’t win climbers any friends.

Honestly I just think the OP is upset about the loss of a crag that’s special to them and needs a vent. 

Offwidth 31 Aug 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Yet if we want to re-negotiate access it's harder if we deny the bad behaviour happened.

This is what I said here in 2018

"The UKB thread:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,28660.50.html

All looks a bit like the 4 stages of grief. In particular pushing blame on the BMC local volunteer access rep is pretty low but if there are problems with the RAD Ap thats serious and needs fixing fast... everyone should check RAD before climbing in such places (small venues on private land). Having said that, I don't buy this was really about a communications failure. Climbers should never do things like block gates, leave gates open, lamp near private residences (unless this is known to be OK) or be rude or aggresive to landowners (however much they 'deserve' it) if we wish to retain access on private land. As others point out on UKB this is a story that repeats agian and again.. stupid selfish climbers may be a small minority but do exist. A predominance of ranting on any public record on the web about farmers who do something like this when riled makes life more difficult for recovering access in this case and for access negotiations in similar cases in the future. Landowners who are pissed off with climbers can also use social media and can link evidence of past bad behaviour."

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/whitehouses_chipping-678712?v=1...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...