UKC

More of the alps falls down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 31 Aug 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Sugar honey iced tea.

Bob Aitken 01 Sep 2022

From the account in the 'Dauphine' it sounds like an extraordinary stroke of good fortune that (as far as is known) nobody on or below the arete at the time was wiped out: https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/08/22/l-arete-des-cosmiques-s-...

At this rate of degradation it won't be long before your best prospects for a claim to fame in the Alps won't be for making a first ascent or traverse but for making the last recorded ascent before the mountain fell down.  Alas: 'ou sont les neiges d'antan?'

philipjardine 01 Sep 2022

Rob isn't there some sort of geological fault running through the arete that makes it particularly susceptible to these recurrent rock falls?

jon 01 Sep 2022
In reply to philipjardine:

How long before the Midi téléphérique meets the same fate?

philipjardine 01 Sep 2022
In reply to jon:

funny you should say that - I thought the cables were looking a bit slack this week

MG 01 Sep 2022
In reply to jon:

> How long before the Midi téléphérique meets the same fate?

I have wondered this  - the summit is almost hollow with tunnels etc I assume it's being monitored......

jon 01 Sep 2022
In reply to MG:

The tension on the vallée blanche télécabine balances up that of the téléphérique. It's what holds the whole thing in place...!!!

65 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Quite. A friend's son was along it on Saturday or Sunday. I haven't spoken to him since but I suspect he is currently in a reflective mood.

In reply to MG:

That's right, a chilling thought. Because one day (sooner rather than later in geological terms) it will fall down.

But I have huge problems with the geological time scale. My brain really can't do it, can't see the fantastically (million times?) speeded up image of what actually happened. I was thinking about this recently when I visited Black Rocks again: that the eastern gritstone edges were once part of a huge gentle dome that covered all the limestone scenery that you can see to the west. Yet Black Rocks is so hard, almost like granite - which is why mill wheels could be made from gritstone - that almost nothing, except in the minutest way, has changed on the crag for over a 100 years, as testified by many old B&W photos.

Offwidth 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It may be hard but it has fault lines and will fall down in time if undercut by softer rock eroding below... hence so many scarp edges.

blurty 01 Sep 2022

Entropy innit

gravy 01 Sep 2022

Can someone rescue this video from behind the privacy paywall that is insta?

Dave Todd 01 Sep 2022

I must be tired.  I read the headline as 'Most of the alps falls down'...

jon 02 Sep 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

> I must be tired.  I read the headline as 'Most of the alps falls down'...

Probably more accurate!

Well, we all knew that section was going to go the season. But god that was massive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...