UKC

Top rope recommendations for kids (South East)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fresh488 01 Sep 2022

I live on the south coast near portsmouth and often take my kids climbing in Dorset, they are aged 6 and 9 and can comfortably top top rope up to 4c. 

I’d love any recommendations for crags where the anchors are easily accessible from above in order to set up a top rope for when I’m the only adult in the group, then you can walk down to the bottom (without abbing) to belay the kids on TR. 

Any recommendations within 2 hours drive of Hayling island (portsmouth) with some low grade routes 3 - 5a would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks 🙏

ivanwindrush 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Fresh488:

Good question.  I was thinking the same when I was down in Dorset earlier in the summer. 

Don't have an answer though.

Lots of easy sport, but top access a bit awkward if no one available to hold the other end of the rope.

GrahamD 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Fresh488:

The obvious option for me would be the lower tier at Dancing Ledges, Swanage.

Iamgregp 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Fresh488:

This is a bit of an off the wall suggestion, but Southern Sandstone is less than 2 hours from you, and is exclusively top rope.  I really rate Harrison's, there's some lovely routes there....  

Robin Mazinke 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

There are indeed some lovely routes at Harrison's (and I'm hoping that having been very dry this year that tonight's/this week's rain will dry off quickly but we'll have to wait and see on that one). 

For the OP they could have a great day at Harrison's but it will depend a bit on their relative height for their age and quite what they want out of the day.  Many of the routes there are quite tricky for the very young, often being reachy for them. There's some good scrambles and chimneys/gullies, and a few holes/passages to crawl through, and if that's what they want they'll have a great day doing those and the routes that do work for smaller children, if they just want 'proper' climbing they might be a bit disappointed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...