UKC

Wharncliffe Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dax H 01 Sep 2022

Anyone know the situation at Wharncliffe Crag, Google says its temporarily closed but there are no details. 

I looked at the crag database on here and nothing is mentioned. 

Luke90 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

I wouldn't worry what Google says. There's another listing right there in your screenshot which doesn't say it's closed anyway. There's no telling who adds those listings to Google Maps.

The crag database on here hooks up with the BMC RAD, which is as close to a definitive source on access as you can get. Certainly better than random Google Maps listings.

OP Dax H 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Luke90:

That's what I thought but it never hurts to ask. 

Offwidth 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Chances are someone would have posted if the crag was closed but I'll ask someone who lives within walking distance ....(Edit they have heard nothing)

It's not so much of a backwater these days as people realise how good the trad climbing is and with the explosion in bouldering possibilities there. Also a fair few climbers mountain  bike there as well.

Post edited at 14:19
 mrphilipoldham 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Possibly a hangover from then CRoW land was closed a few weeks ago during the heat wave/sunny couple of days (delete as you feel appropriate). I wouldn't rely on Google user submitted data for shops, let alone outdoor spaces. Check RAD

Ian Carey 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

I cycled below & above Wharncliffe on Tuesday and it looked very open to me.

ro8x 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Am planning on going up there tomorrow so will report back if its closed and swarming with wardens to keep me off the crag  

Edshakey 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Dax H:

I went last Sunday. No indication of closure of any sort, all looked normal to me. Quiet enough that I can't imagine they'd be anyone enforcing a ban, it was just us and one other pair on a beautiful sunny day!

Parked at the north end and went through the tunnels, if that makes any difference.

Post edited at 14:07
OP Dax H 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

I went on Saturday, no signs or anything. I assume its just Google being out of date.

Surprised me that there were no climbers at all, me included because I was there with an RC Rock Crawler rather than my climbing gear. 

Offwidth 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

Good point about approaches... has anyone checked the woodland  path down from the road to the east or the southern approach ( both commonly used for Whancliffe woods stuff)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...