UKC

Regular fitting soft shell trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 04 Sep 2022

Evening all,

is there such a thing? I can’t abide all the ones I’ve googled, they all seem to be very close fitting.

Looking  for regular fitting ones, closest I used to have (and liked) were Mammut Base Jump pants so if anyone has a pair of size 54 long they’d like to sell, let me know or recommendations please.

Cheers, Den 

Guy Hurst 04 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

The Rohan Fjell Trousers look pretty normal for softshell trews, although they do have the obligatory tough patches in a different shade, just to make it obvious they're serious bits of kit.

OP Denni 04 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Cheers Guy, will have a look.

nathan79 04 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Haglofs aren't too bad. I've a couple of pairs of the Rugged Mountain Pants and they're not leggings.

Marmot Scree pants are another option.

Bapti_climb 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Hi, I cant stand slim fit trousers either - I use the North Face Apex softshells, best trousers ive owned they are a regular fit even quite loose at the legs I would say; copped a couple pairs on ebay for 30quid. I also find patagonia softshells to be quite loose too, and around the same sort of price on such sites (although not sure on extact model names for what i own)

Post edited at 11:37
 99ster 06 Sep 2022
In reply to nathan79:

> Marmot Scree pants are another option.

And Marmot Highland - they're great.

CantClimbTom 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Montane Terra Pants  (TROUSERS!!!!!) are good cut for normal proportions not just people with chopstick legs and no glutes, you can regularly train barbell [parallel] squats and still manage to wear them! Available in both ladies and gents cuts.

They have an elastic waist which means I have no need for the supplied belt (I find belts conflict with harnesses). Lightweight and hard wearing too, almost perfect.

The only downside used to be that it left a slight sour taste in the mouth is they made you look a Bear Grylls wannabe. However you can now get them in a single colour, not just grey with black patches, so they even fixed that too

LastBoyScout 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Always regret not buying a pair of the original Base Jump pants when I was working in an outdoor shop.

Try Decathlon - the Quechua ones I got from there aren't bad for the money.

Pedro50 06 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

My newish Montane Terra pants are nothing like the 15 year old ones they replaced. They're a much closer fit, they look much more stylish but I couldn't possibly walk up a hill or climb in them.

Andypeak 06 Sep 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Decathlon have the slimmest fit I've ever tried. I have to get a 40 inch waste in order to get my legs in. I'm normally a 32. 

Keela scuffers might be worth a look?

DamonRoberts 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Alpkit have a regular fit softshell option (Chilkoot), as well as some climbing jeans and canvas trousers in a relaxed fit. I've a pair of the jeans and they're great. Definitely a looser fit that most things you can buy nowadays and super comfy. 

Post edited at 19:01
 oldie 06 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Being of a certain age I have to mention Buffalo trousers. I only have their high altitude salopettes (the braces mean they are OK if loose at the waist) but the full length zips mean they can be worn even in hot conditions. I think they sell several models of actual trousers.

VictorM 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Dunno if you can get them in the UK and they might be too wide at the leg endings if you want to use them for ice climbing, but the Tierra Lite Track pants are not tight at all, to the point that they are loose for my skinny 29" waist but developed upper legs. 

Post edited at 06:21
 Fraser 07 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Montane Terra Pants  (TROUSERS!!!!!) ....

I've got an ancient pair of these but they're not soft shell, which is what the OP was looking for.

The Decathlon ones are really good value and I have a pair, but only because I've got spindly, sport-climber's legs - they are very slim fitting!

Rory Shaw 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Not sure if they are still made but ME mission pants might work for you

OP Denni 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Denni:

Hi all,

many thanks for the replies, loads of good suggestions so will check them out.

Den

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...