UKC

Winter Races

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 07 Sep 2022

Are there any shortish winter races in the Lakes/Snowdonia that are recommended? Ideally looking for something in the mountains 15-30miles over the winter to keep me inspired for next summers big runs.

had a quick look through some of the entry sites but nothing was really jumping out 

plyometrics 07 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

In classic UKC style, I’m afraid I can’t provide an exact answer, but proffer some alternatives which may tick the box.

Tour de Helvellyn. 38 miles 17th Dec

Full Tour of Pendle. 17 miles 19th Nov

Not done the TDH, but know the route and am contemplating it this year. If you’ve not done it before, TOP is a classic end of season arse kicker.

In reply to echo34:

I'm going to do the exact same thing as plyometrics and suggest something completely different to what's actually been requested. That said, having lived in Snowdonia for 10 years I couldn't think of that many organised events within the parameters you were after. Not sure about the Lakes...

Tangents aside, the Marsden - Edale Trigger Race is definitely worth looking into if you'd be up for something within the Peak District. I'm hoping to do it again next year, so maybe see you there.

http://www.marsdentoedale.co.uk/

tjhare1 07 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

A couple below are within your constraints, others stray…

Late Nov: Kong are running a 4hr score course in N wales, should be about right length?

Early Dec: Peak Raid 3hr score course in… the peak!

Early Dec: moors the merrier from Hebden bridge, 21 mile

Jan: trigger as above

Feb: Wadsworth trog

March: Edale skyline

Post edited at 13:49
 Tom Briggs 07 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

I can't see many RDs having the appetite to run mid-winter races in the Lakes/Snowdonia where folks are going to be about for 4+ hours. The Trigger is full-on enough (good article in the latest Fellrunner by Jeremy Windsor about his mate getting hypothermia). Whilst there's a fair bit on the Pennine Way there's also a lot of rough stuff and tricky nav, which, when combined with the weather (it's been pretty grim all three times I've done it) makes for a memorable day out. It says a lot that folks travel from all over to do it.

plyometrics 07 Sep 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Agreed. It’s a big ask for RDs, as well as a risk from a cancellation point of view if serious weather causes that. 

Suppose alternatives for the OP are picking good weather days to knock off some of the classic race lines or challenges, e.g Wasdale, County Tops, Cumbrian Traverse etc. The Tea Room Round would be a very respectable winter tick. 

Post edited at 16:25
 elliptic 07 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

Helm Hill run the Kendal winter league race series around south Lakes & Yorkshire.

https://www.helmhill.co.uk/index.php/races/kendal-winter-league

They're short and sharp though - nothing like 15 miles but do come with a good social scene.

Nic Barber 07 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

The OMM is in Langdale this year. 2 for the price of one?

No idea about any traily stuff. There might be some going on but not my scene.

In reply to echo34:

Kong also run a winter series of races between December and early March with a race each month in the north Lakes. From memory they are High Rigg, Stybarrow Dodd, Clough Head, Outerside and Barrow and then lastly Latrigg. You can sign up for all of them on SIE and get a discount or individuals, about a tenner each I think. 

SD was absolutely great, and included running through a respectable amount of snow about 600 m asl. Fair play to the Marshalls on the summit, it wasn’t a just a happy dance they were doing whilst counting runners through! 

Post edited at 06:58
 wbo2 19 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34: Go find a cross country league

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...