UKC

The Queen has died - RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Sep 2022

Very sad news.

Pedro50 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

It is sad. Despite my republican views she seemed a decent person.

In reply to The Lemming:

> Very sad news.

Incredibly sad and if the dislikers are celebrating,  have a long look in the mirror.

Perhaps turn off the buttons for this thread.

Post edited at 18:58
 AukWalk 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Sad news indeed. A remarkable reign, and she represented so many positive personal qualities as well as the country itself. Does feel like the end of an era, personally has got me a bit emotional. 

Tony Buckley 08 Sep 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

+1 for turning the buttons off.

T.

Siward 08 Sep 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Yes Mods treat this as an RIP thread.

It's very sad I had a lot of respect for Liz. 

girlymonkey 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I am at heart a republican, but Queenie was a good lady. 

Bojo 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I am currently on Toulouse prior to flying home tomorrow. I was having a meal in a restaurant when I saw the news. The waiter sensed my sadness and gave me a consoling pat on my shoulder. Later he came and asked "ca va?"

UKC Forums 08 Sep 2022
In reply to everyone:

The voting has now been removed on this thread, but please keep posting respectful - irrespective of your views on the monarchy.

plyometrics 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Just rewatched the jubilee sketch she did with Paddington. A lovely reminder she was as human as the next person. 

RIP Liz. 

OP The Lemming 08 Sep 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

> Just rewatched the jubilee sketch she did with Paddington. A lovely reminder she was as human as the next person. 

> RIP Liz. 

And in Number Two spot

youtube.com/watch?v=xW5abat5NEU&

I never met the Queen however I have met quite a few who have been in her company and they all said one thing, which she was a happy person who put everybody at ease.

Post edited at 19:33
 Tony Buckley 08 Sep 2022
In reply to UKC Forums:

Well done for turning voting off.  

T.

Dax H 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably the last great royal we will ever have.

Rest in peace Liz, you deserve some time off. 

65 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> Very sad news.

Yes.

As a republican and Scottish separatist, I'll be doing something tonight which I've never done: toasting her. RIP to The Queen.

An incredible life of humanity, dignity and commitment to a role she was born into, which many other leaders would do well to note. A profoundly significant world moment whatever one's views on the monarchy, she has been with us for all of our lives. I'm quite surprised at how bereft I feel, and the dark and lashing rain seems appropriate for this evening.

Post edited at 20:17
 ExiledScot 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> I never met the Queen however I have met quite a few who have been in her company and they all said one thing, which she was a happy person who put everybody at ease.

Being in the military our paths crossed, yeah whilst I wouldn't say she was grounded like average joe, but she was extremely well briefed, learnt it and good when out on the ground meeting people. Far far better than some of the side show hanger on royals who generally haven't a clue about the real world.

To echo Dax's comment, she deserves the rest, working until 2 days ago aged 96! 

RIP

In reply to 65:

> Yes.

> As a republican and Scottish separatist, I'll be doing something tonight which I've never done: toasting her. RIP to The Queen.

It was a shame that your last comment was deleted, because I was trying to reply to you. I too am glad that Boris was not the PM when the Queen died. I do not want to bring this thread into politics however I genuinely thought that our new PM showed genuine empathy for such a solemn occasion.

65 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

<Like>

Tony Buckley 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

My wife and I have just done something out of character; raised a glass to toast the Queen, then raised it again to toast the King.

And it felt like exactly the right thing to do.

T.

Bottom Clinger 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Same here. 

ExiledScot 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

>  I genuinely thought that our new PM showed genuine empathy for such a solemn occasion.

I think it's probably quite thoughtful knowing you're one of the last few people she met and were there with her just a day prior. It's bound to have an impact on anyone with a soul.

Mike Stretford 08 Sep 2022
In reply to 65:

> I'll be doing something tonight which I've never done:

I was listening to Radio 6 when it stopped and they made the announcement. I turned the radio up for the anthem and had a reflective couple of minute listening to it. Thought of my own long gone grandmother who adored the royals.

RIP.

CantClimbTom 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Have raised a glass (of whisky) to the Queen. She seemed a decent down to earth person.

montyjohn 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Rip Elizabeth.

I guess we are no longer Elizabethans.

We're now (or soon to be) Charlesions (no idea what the equivalent term is)

In reply to Tony Buckley:

> My wife and I have just done something out of character; raised a glass to toast the Queen, then raised it again to toast the King.

> And it felt like exactly the right thing to do.

> T.

I will join you

Hooo 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Sad indeed. I despise the institution of royalty, but the Queen was a shining example of how a country 's leader should behave. I don't think we'll see her equal again, at least not in my lifetime.

Duncan Bourne 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Very Sad.

By pure coincidence my Dad beat her by 16.5 hours (2.00 am this morning) I don't think he saw it as a competiton though.

Phil1919 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I like Charles.

65 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Thoughts to you as well. Santé.

Sorry to hear that Duncan.

Bottom Clinger 08 Sep 2022

Condolences. 

john arran 08 Sep 2022

> Very Sad.

> By pure coincidence my Dad beat her by 16.5 hours (2.00 am this morning) I don't think he saw it as a competiton though.

Sorry to hear that, Duncan as I'm also sorry to hear of the queen's passing.

Though of course I didn't know her except via media, Elizabeth may well have been personally and solely responsible for keeping respect for the institution of monarchy alive in the UK in recent times. She played a blinder, and deserves every accolade going.

Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, very sad day I think; shakes our foundations a bit at a very unstable time. I think she was a good un. 

Duncan Bourne 08 Sep 2022
In reply to john arran:

Indeed she did

> Very Sad.

> By pure coincidence my Dad beat her by 16.5 hours (2.00 am this morning) I don't think he saw it as a competiton though.

I am truly sorry for your loss

Tony Buckley 08 Sep 2022

In reply to MarkVinnette:

Mm.  You've not really read the room there.

T.

abr1966 08 Sep 2022

Sorry for your loss Duncan....

The Queen.....I never met her but she did walk past me and look at me on parade once. She has been a great example of duty....... seeing her sat alone, as an old lady in her 90's at the funeral of her husband showed great leadership and dignity at a time when others in power were abusing their position and will be the most prominent memory I have of her....RIP Elizabeth ..

Post edited at 21:55
 girlymonkey 08 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

> We're now (or soon to be) Charlesions (no idea what the equivalent term is)

Charletons?!

balmybaldwin 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm finding this news much harder to deal with than I expected. She was always there. Rest in peace

Pete Pozman 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I was born 3 weeks before she came to the throne, she's gone; that's got to mean something.

"God Save the Queen"  just came on the News. I stood, for the last time.

Pete Pozman 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

God Save the King.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Have raised a glass (of whisky) to the Queen. She seemed a decent down to earth person.

In Scotland so we raised a dram. RIP

John Ww 08 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

69 years of service in a job you didn’t ask for, but did to the best of your ability? I’m no monarchist, but I certainly respect and admire her for her dignity, sense of duty and loyalty. If ever there was a gilded cage, she was definitely a lifetime occupant. 

Robert Durran 08 Sep 2022
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I'm finding this news much harder to deal with than I expected. She was always there.

I think that is going to apply in a national sense. The end of an era if ever there was one.

We've just raised plastic mugs with a dram of Laphraoig on Islay to her.

Clauso 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Can't fault her dedication to her duty.

... Time to clock off shift Ma'am.

ExiledScot 09 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Right bunch of charlies?

plyometrics 09 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

The reign of Charles I was known as the Caroline era apparently. Derived from Carolus, the Latin for Charles. Be interesting to see if that is reused.

Sean Kelly 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

My earliest memory is of the Coronation, standing in front of a shop with a very small flickering b&w screen on New Street in Birmingham, on a very wet day. 

My stamp collection was mainly George VI however, and only had a Coronation stamp of the Queen. New stamps now required.

RIP Elizabeth. God save the King.

montyjohn 09 Sep 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

> The reign of Charles I was known as the Caroline era apparently.

How interesting. I like it.

Doug 09 Sep 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

I thought it might have been Carolingian but apparently that was for Charlemagne rather than  King Charles  I & II

AllanMac 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Much respect for her, especially when she cut through the stifling protocols and conventions to appear with James Bond and Paddington. 

The New NickB 09 Sep 2022
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I'm finding this news much harder to deal with than I expected. She was always there. Rest in peace

Really. I’ve been reflecting on how I feel about the death of people who have reached a great age and have led a full life. I mean people that I have been close to such as grandparents, rather than someone like the Queen, who like most people I don’t personally know.

I didn’t have huge amounts of sadness when my grandmothers died at similar ages to the Queen, much less for example than when a grandfather died at a much younger age.  No less love for the two grandmothers. To me at least, some of the outpouring grief seems odd.

I’m not a royalist, so intend to largely ignore it. If you are in to such things, a quiet raised glass, as mentioned by a few on here, is probably an appropriate response.

fred99 09 Sep 2022
In reply to :

I always knew her death was inevitable due to her age. However it still came as a blow.

OP The Lemming 09 Sep 2022
In reply to fred99:

> I always knew her death was inevitable due to her age. However it still came as a blow.

The Queen and her doctors most likely knew how gravely ill she was when the Queen performed her last royal duties seeing out and in new Prime Ministers.

Irrespective of being a Royalist or Republican, Queen Elizabeth showed our nation how a person with gravitas, dignity and devotion to her duties that people such as our last PM should hang their heads in shame.

Offwidth 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

A thing the BBC has done right in the last 24 hours. RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61605149

mbh 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

Good post. A person has died and there is an outpouring of media coverage of the death. None of us asked for this but we cannot help but have a reaction to it. If my mother had died yesterday. I would feel very differently today to how I actually feel. 

I felt much more emotion when Mandela, another person that I did not know, died at a similar age to the Queen. Not grief, since he was 95 and at that age your time is up, but a kind of joy in what he had done with his life.

jkarran 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Well she's served in an institution and role I'd prefer did not exist but she appears to have done so with dignity, decency and dedication to her last days. When we have sorely lacked those traits in our elected leaders they have remained, quietly, on display in the background, a reminder that better is still possible. In a role and at a time where respect could still simply have been assumed or demanded she earned it anyway time and again. A job well done.

Since we're stuck with him I hope I may say the same of Charles when his time comes.

jk

Pete Pozman 09 Sep 2022
In reply to jkarran:

The mood seems to be largely "Ask not for whom the Bell tolls, It tolls for thee..."

As my life is almost exactly contiguous with her reign, that certainly is my mood. It's like a screen flickering through the memories of a whole lifetime. Hers and mine. I have a photo of me at three with my hair combed like Prince Charles's and a double buttoned little woollen coat on. Just like his. I'm standing next to my sister and she looks like Princess Anne... 

où sont les neiges d'antan?

ChrisBrooke 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Rather a nice tribute here from Theresa May.  youtube.com/watch?v=zSxpbWpiXCM&

The New NickB 09 Sep 2022
In reply to mbh:

Maybe I’m more in sync with the populous than I thought. I passed through St Anne’s Square in Manchester at lunchtime, it’s the official spot in the city to leave flowers, the Leader of the Council and Lord Mayor did so this morning. There were perhaps 100 bunches of flowers and a few people hanging about. After the Arena Bombing, at the same spot, you had to queue for half an hour to leave some flowers and the number bunches would have to be measured in the tens of thousands. I know it’s different, but still as loved and respected as she undoubtedly was by many, the communal grief is very different to that of an event as tragic as the Arena Bomb.

pneame 09 Sep 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Well that was lovely. 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Rather a nice tribute here from Theresa May.  youtube.com/watch?v=zSxpbWpiXCM&

A very fitting tribute indeed. 

Hat Dude 09 Sep 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I am against the institution of the monarchy but I don't think it is possible to deny that The late Queen adhered to the oaths that she made in a way that most politicians ignore 

Rob Parsons 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Hat Dude:

> ... I don't think it is possible to deny that The late Queen adhered to the oaths that she made in a way that most politicians ignore 

That seems like a lazy remark to me. In respect of 'most politicians', to which oaths are you referring?

Post edited at 21:05
 Hat Dude 09 Sep 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Apologies

I guess I meant generally in the promises that are made in order to achieve whatever office they are aspiring to

The Queen wasn't presented with much of a choice but stuck to her word 

In reply to Hat Dude:

> Apologies

> I guess I meant generally in the promises that are made in order to achieve whatever office they are aspiring to

> The Queen wasn't presented with much of a choice but stuck to her word 

Indeed. She swore she would serve until she could serve no more. She did exactly that, with the dignity of a thousand politicians. 

I'm luke warm on The Royals but am incredibly sad of her passing. One of her last pictures from just days ago; she was incredibly frail, purple hands with a massive beaming smile, still doing the role she promised to fulfill, is both inspiring and sad at thesame time.

Consider her conduct over 70 years as monarch vs Boris' in three years.

He should be ashamed of what he has turned this country into and security should have told him to feck off when he arrived at the various shindigs over the last 48 hours, as her majesty's dieing wish.

Yanis Nayu 10 Sep 2022

> Very Sad.

Condolences and best wishes Duncan. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...