UKC

University of Sheffield mountaineering club Freshers climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Rowland 13 Sep 2022

Hi everyone, on the 25th of September the University of Sheffield Mountaineering Club will be running our annual Freshers' Climb at Lawrencefield.

We expect the crag to be exceptionally busy, so suggest avoiding it if possible on this day. We will have topropes down the gingerbread slab area ( Gingerbread (VS 4c) to Tyrone (VS 4c)), so expect that part of the crag to be especially busy. If you do come to Lawrencefield, we will try our best to not get in your way, but be aware there will be loads of beginners around. Cheers  

Post edited at 16:19
 smithaldo 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland: popcorn at the ready and student bashing bingo card ready to fill in……..

Cusco 13 Sep 2022
In reply to smithaldo:

Ah, it’s that time of year on UKC…

Based on seeing UKC reaction to similar posts over many years, the reference to top ropes, the double use of “exceptionally busy”, in this context, for a crag like Lawrencefield, with the suggestion to avoid the crag if at all possible should go down well with some. 

To the Op - I hope you all have a great day. It sound’s a darn sight better than the first and last Uni club meet I went on - to Snowdonia one freezing November weekend, where some bright spark suggested we climbed Soapgut on Milestone Buttress because it looked like Cenotaph Corner…

Offwidth 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

Cheers Ben. I've been there a rew times during your clubs previous fresher trips and been  very impressed. Have a great day.

blurty 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

I hope it goes well and you get some folk interested (hooked)

In reply to smithaldo:

> popcorn at the ready and student bashing bingo card ready to fill in……..

I think we've been over all the various approaches to this over the years and come to the conclusion that what the OP has done here ("we'll be at [crag] on [day]. Don't be put off asking us to share. Sorry for any bother.") is about the best of them. So you might be out of luck.

peppermill 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

Good on you, also good to see the yearly Lawrencefield freshers climb is still going strong despite the old High Peak Club being dissolved a good few years back!

It was a yearly occasion 15 years ago when I was a student in Sheffield and about as good as a crag can be for this type of thing, top ropes in the roadside area keeping the numbers away from the main crag etc etc.

Have fun!

peppermill 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Cusco:

> To the Op - I hope you all have a great day. It sound’s a darn sight better than the first and last Uni club meet I went on - to Snowdonia one freezing November weekend, where some bright spark suggested we climbed Soapgut on Milestone Buttress because it looked like Cenotaph Corner…

Always thought that was kinda the idea.

Wait till all the yearly fees have cleared into the club account then do a freshers weekend at Gogarth or similar, put 80% off for the rest of the year and end up with a load of cash and just a couple of dozen members ;p

In reply to Ben Rowland:

SCUM no more?

GrahamD 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

Freshers meets.  That usually heralds the end of the Summer weather !

smithaldo 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder: Ha… totally agreed! Was just waiting for the bingo points of :

1) how dare you go somewhere one weekend day and tell me beforehand so I could go anywhere else but now want to go there.

2) top roping…. How very dare you. I started off leading hvs with a swami belt and machined nuts.

amongst others…..

given that the peak (imho) is about 10% as busy with people leading routes as it was 20 years ago, introducing people outside ain’t gonna be a problem.

hope everyone enjoys it.  

Offwidth 15 Sep 2022
In reply to smithaldo:

Are you playing reverse Yorkshire childhoods? I'd say overall numbers leading in the Peak are pretty much the same as they ever were.

heleno 15 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

I was at Lawrencefield yesterday and many of the Gingerbread Slab routes were sandier than usual (presumably due to long dry spell followed by heavy rain).

If someone from your club was to spend some time brushing the routes  beforehand (with a soft brush!) it would reduce the potential damage to the holds by scrabbling feet, as well as making it a more enjoyable experience for your freshers.

OP Ben Rowland 15 Sep 2022
In reply to heleno:

I'll be there an hour or so earlier than everyone else, so that I can set up topropes and stuff. I'll bring my brush and make sure everything is clean, cheers for letting me know  

OP Ben Rowland 15 Sep 2022
In reply to smithaldo:

I've got my bingo card ready but haven't managed to tick anything off yet, people have been too nice, very disappointed 

Graham Hoey 15 Sep 2022
In reply to Ben Rowland:

Crikey  how standards have slipped. I remember in the late 70s when the SCUM Freshers' Meet was at Gogarth 😉 Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...