UKC

Cheddar access - temporary road closure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 16 Sep 2022

Apparently according to the Cheddar Gorge website there is a road closure from 20th Sept until the end of October. It is total - no cars, bikes or pedestrians so I'm sure that includes climbers too. Tourist facilities in the gorge still open so I assume that that means The Remnant & Lion Rock can still be reached? No map or further info on how far up the closure goes though so no idea if crags at the top end of the gorge might still be accessible by driving down the road from the top.

smbnji 16 Sep 2022
In reply to hms:

I spoke to Cheddar Caves and Gorge about the missing map on their page, hopefully it'll be updated soon:

https://www.cheddargorge.co.uk/visitor-info/temporary-road-closure

From the information I could get over the phone, the road will be completely closed from Landslip Quarry up to the entrance to the gorge (where the walkers normally park and start from). I wasn't able to get anything more specific than that unfortunately, though I think Owen WG (Cheddar Warden) will hopefully be along with some more info!

Also, N.b. Cliff Road is also completely closed tomorrow (Sat 17th) for a running race. Maybe there's scope to walk down and climb, but I imagine there'll be a lot of spectators moseying around so common sense will be needed.

OP hms 18 Sep 2022
In reply to hms:

This is the answer I got back from emailing cheddar caves info:

We have been informed that there will be no accessible climbing from High Rock to Black Rock. Currently, climbing will be accessible at High Rock downwards and from LandSlip Quarry downwards. However, can I suggest you call to double check accessibility on the day before making your journey.

Which is helpful but I'm not sure it entirely answers the question.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...