UKC

Anyone challenged a Roaches parking fine?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 25 Sep 2022

I got a parking fine today at the Roaches. I was at the spot opposite the cafe where there is a layby that has a little dirt layby at one end - I was parked in the dirt layby. There were no "No parking" signs on that bit of road and no double yellows, and there was really no obvious reason not to park there - I was well clear of the road, wasn't blocking any gates, and wasn't even really eroding the verge since it was solid earth. As I see it there were no adverse effects to parking there, and there was absoutely no way that I could have known that this was a spot that they didn't want me parking in - I thought it was an extension of the bay that already had a load of cars in it. If I'd knowingly, or even just idiotically, parked like a nobhead, I would just suck it up pay, but IMO I didn't and I don't particularly want to give Staffs County Council a load of money for no reason - was wondering if anyone here had successfully challenged a ticket in a similar situation, and if so how and whether it was worth the effort.

To make matters worse I'm pretty sure the parking ticket woman came past me as I was getting my bag out of the boot and didn't say a word, but that's by the by.

If anyone reads this and wants to lecture me that I should have just parked in a tarmac layby or in the farmer's field, spare yourself the effort - obviously I will next time, but I also don't think I really deserve a ticket in this case (but then I suppose noone ever does).

montyjohn 25 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

I believe at the opposite end of the layby to where you parked there's a no waiting sign.

What's unfair is they didn't put one at both ends.

You would have to argue that it was too far away from where you parked or that it wasn't clear because of the designated parking between you and the sign.

I've never had a ticket here, but elsewhere if I feel it's a bit unfair I always argue and always won. I've generally found the council don't want to take them to court so back down.

If it was by the police just pay it.

I probably would argue this one if I was you but I'd be a bit nervous because of that sign. I'd want to do a bit of research first.

tjdodd 25 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

Whenever I go to the Roaches there are lots of signs saying only park in the laybys and no parking on the verges (which I would take to include dirt).  I've not been for a few weeks so perhaps the signs are not there now.

I assume you are not a regular visitor as ticketing everyone not parked in tarmac laybys is a regular occurence at the Roaches.

Offwidth 25 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

I think it's a waste of time and money to challenge this, unless you have a lot of time. The cafe warned me last year, when I parked in the same spot, so I moved to the good value paid parking in the field next to the cafe. It's good that you highlighted this daftly unfair situation, so others don't get trapped. A better solution is to complain in writing to the local council about signage: that you have paid the fine but feel the entrapment is grossly unfair for those who may not be able to afford such fines in such difficult times.

Rick51 25 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

Unfortunately there are clearway and no loading signs either side of the road about 150 yards before you get to the tea rooms, so if you weren't in the marked layby you're probably stuffed but give an appeal a try, you may be lucky.

mrjonathanr 25 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

As the previous poster said, it’s a clearway. I get your argument that you weren’t impeding access, but if you parked outside of the bays provided, I expect you have been ticketed for parking on the clearway.

That road gets congested with vergeside parking which could impede access for emergency vehicles. It might feel harsh if vehicles could freely pass your car, but I can’t see what defence you could offer against parking in a restricted  zone. Might be worth checking what offence exactly you received the ticket for.

Offwidth 26 Sep 2022
In reply to mrjonathanr:

The end of the layby is undefined and should be marked in a clearway. That it is not and is being ticketed is dishonest behaviour.

mrjonathanr 26 Sep 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I wonder if that could be open to challenge. From a lay perspective, you’d imagine the offence has to be parking beyond the defined area. If the area is undefined, it’s hard to see how that could be satisfactorily established. You’d need photographic evidence to even begin to challenge though, I think.

Twiggy Diablo 27 Sep 2022
In reply to joeramsay:

I’ve got off way more parking fines by apologetically admitting responsibility (and promising not to do it again if they give me the benefit of the doubt), than by argueing against them.

I even got let off a London congenestion zone fine that way. (I had genuinely not realised they’d changed the times, but i admitted that it was my fault for not checking).

Post edited at 17:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...