UKC

Wet rock and fell running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 27 Sep 2022

Had a lovely day out on the fells at Langdale this weekend. 

Only fly in my ointment was that the weather came claggy earlier than forecast and that meant the path down from Pike o Stickle to Stickle barn had a lot of wet steps on it which didn’t mix well with my fell running shoes. 

How do other folks deal with wet rock when out fell running?

No catastrophe here - still had a grand day out, just ended up steadily walking downhill when my plan had been to pin my ears back and enjoy the gradient assisted, long, downhill run. Rock and shoe combo was simply too slippy (not my imagination- tested it out!). I know I could chose a different route - I’m curious as to how others deal with this issue. 

My detail was wearing inov8 mudclaws. They’re my go to on the fell routes I choose as mud is usually my limiting factor regarding surface. 

Thanks in advance. 

DamonRoberts 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I've got a pair of Inov8 Roclites, the graphene sole sounds like nonsense but they are good at sticking to rock, whilst seem to do a good job everywhere else I've used them as well. 

Otherwise its just a case of picking a line that gives you the right angled places to put a foot down on, and using a bit of momentum. This works for well for me on rocky paths, but not as well on flat steps and slabby things unfortunately. 

OP The Fox 27 Sep 2022
In reply to DamonRoberts:

Thanks. 
yeah I’ve gone for the graphene soles on the mudclaws. 
I could manage the bits where I could pick a rougher surface or pick a different line. Just the long stretches of flat steps or slabs as you say. 

Garethza 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

All shoes are crap on wet rock, some are just a little less crap than others. As above, choosing the right line is generally more helpful than what shoes you are wearing.

Shoes with a softer rubber generally sticks a bit better but they are all much of a much. I have Hoka Speedgoats which I find work pretty well, and La Sportiva Mutants which are probably my go to for that kind of terrain / weather combo. 

Tyler 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I can’t help but would warn anyone off using On Running shoes. It seems ridiculous to complain about shoes being sloppy on sloppy rock but these seems noticeably bad. 

OP The Fox 27 Sep 2022
In reply to Garethza:

Thanks. 
I suspect I’m hoping someone has a magical Goldilocks solution but the reality is just as you say, running shoes slide on wet rock!

helpful to confirm I’m not missing something though. 
thank you. 

Ridge 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

Yep. My saucony peregrine's didn't like the polished, wet rock on Catbells one bit.

Levy_danny 27 Sep 2022

I’ve stacked it a few times on wet rock in roclites but I am awful at picking lines. Wet stiles and wooden bridges are also awful. 

tlouth7 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

Orienteering shoes with small spikes (dobbs) are excellent on wet rock, and the only thing that will reliably grip wet logs.

petemeads 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I've got Rocklite G275s, they grip as well as anything on clean wet rock, as do my Scarpa Crux approach shoes. Slimy wet rock is another matter, nothing will grip. I have a pair of Asics fell shoes, red sole and pyramid studs like a Walsh, which will not grip on anything damp except soft grass, really lethal on mixed terrain..

NobleStone 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I've found the rubber on VJ shoes to be stickier than Inov-8, including on wet rock. I found the VJ XTRM to be a good compromise between mud and rock, as they're sticky but still have aggressive lugs.

The Potato 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

Salomon...... 

Ha! No

Inov8 X talon is about as close to perfect as I've found, VJ are similar, best grip is 5.10 stealth but then that's no use for running

Dark-Cloud 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

La Sportiva Mutant are pretty good on wet rock

The Norris 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I had some haglof trail shoes that were absolutely terrible, slipped on my ar*e many times! My solution on a particularly long slopey stepped descent was to take them off - Socks were great! Possibly not good for those with expensive socks, but I guess carrying a cheap pair could be an option. 

jk25002 27 Sep 2022

+1 for Inov8 roclites (and inov8 more broadly). I didn't know they had graphene in the soles (or maybe my pair doesn't) but I've not found anything else with nearly such good grip on rock. My go to for scrambling runs, and were faultless on a wet Cuillin ridge.

bouldery bits 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

> Had a lovely day out on the fells at Langdale this weekend. 

Great, it's the best and I love it up there! Dartmoor wasn't too bad tho. 

> How do other folks deal with wet rock when out fell running?

I usually fall over.

greg_may_ 27 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

Fast feet and proactive running. It'll help.

VJ Sport and to an extent Vibram used by La Sportiva appear to work well on Lakeland rock.

Avoid dobs on rock, they're for in the forest, they work fine on rock - but when you decide to go off-piste and scramble a nice route...well, we all know what happens then

climb41 27 Sep 2022
In reply to Garethza:

Agreed… wet rock? Another vote for Hoka Speedgoats…I find them pretty good, defo way better than my previous Salomon Speedcross….

Street 27 Sep 2022
In reply to climb41:

Another vote for Roclites here, I've never had much of an issue with them. I've just bought myself a new pair of X-Talons though for hopefully a bit more bite when things are muddier!

wbo2 28 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:This is an area everyone has to compromsie.  Pyramid stud and similar aggressive soles are great on mud, but less surface area so slippy on rock slabs.  Soft rubber is better forgrip but doesn't last so long..

morpcat 28 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I think you're already in some of the best shoes for the job.

Over the years I have used:

• Inov8 Roclite (can't remember number, these are about 12 years old)
  • Inov8 X-Talon 212
  • Inov8 Mudclaw 265 (pre-graphene model)
  • Inov8 X-Claw 275
  • Inov8 X-Talon Ultra 260 v2

I haven't tried any with the graphene soles, but I hear good things. I tend to stick with Inov8 because they fit me reliably and seem to be grippier across the wide variety of wet UK terrain than anything else I've tried (Merrell, Salomon, Sportiva).

Of the above, for a wet downhill run I would pick the X-Claw, which unfortunately they don't make anymore, followed by the Mudclaw. That's why I think you're already using the right shoes for the job.

Running on wet rock is always tricky and there's no silver bullet. I currently have a hand full of holes from up-ending on some wet rock a week ago. Some rock types are worse than others, and smoother stone slabs used in tracks and steps will generally be worse than naturally lumpy and bumpy formations. Over time you can improve your technique and pick up speed but I'd recommend starting slow and being very careful about pushing for speed on wet rock - it's a recipe for injury. An alternative - run parallel to the side of the track (where not restricted by the route and not likely to tear up and erode the ground).

Post edited at 08:11
 Michael Hood 28 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

Although I can see the need for the constructed paths in the Lakes to limit erosion, they are basically complete bastards to run down, especially those with smooth flat tops and a slight downslope.

Wet just makes them completely untrustworthy requiring high levels of concentration to successfully negotiate even at much reduced pace.

What's on your feet has I believe little impact on the above ☹️

Post edited at 08:15
In reply to The Fox:

All the cool kids seem to be raving about VJ shoes, although unfortunately for me I've not found them to fit my feet, so can't comment personally.

My personal vote goes for the La Sportiva Mutant, which is - at least in my opinion - one of the best all-round shoes on the market. Works well on a wide variety of terrain, including wet rock (or at least as well as anything works on wet rock)!

ianstevens 28 Sep 2022
In reply to The Potato:

> Salomon...... 

> Ha! No

Honestly no worse than any other shoe on wet rock. (Except for speed cross, i.e. the worst shoes ever created by anyone for anything).

> Inov8 X talon is about as close to perfect as I've found, VJ are similar, best grip is 5.10 stealth but then that's no use for running

5.10 rubber sticks to wet rock? Great, I can go climbing in the rain without my feet constantly popping off. Oh. Wait. 

OP The Fox 28 Sep 2022
In reply to all;

thanks all for the collective wisdom

much as I thought but good to confirm

couple of shoe options I’ll give a try 

thank you!

Ryan23 28 Sep 2022
In reply to The Fox:

+1 for La Sportiva Mutants. Best shoes I've used for wet rock, confidence inspiring running downhill and the least foot roll in any shoe I've used.

greg_may_ 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Ryan23:

I'm on my second pair of Mutants, really good shoe. But still, not as sticky as VJ, or as precise on technical ground.

I'll probably wear my Mutants for the two days of slog that is the OMM in Langdale though.  Comfortable, why yes, yes they are.

Denning76 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Tyler:

I know loads of people who who tried Ons. I don't think I know anyone who bought a second pair.

S Ramsay 02 Oct 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I used to be a competitive fell runner and just wore road shoes the majority of the time, on rock they were better than the fell shoes that I owned and most runs/races have some sections of hardpack or road anyway.

wbo2 03 Oct 2022
In reply to The Fox: I've been using Ribelle Runs this spring, summer, and they are pretty good on rock, wet and dry.  This comes at a price tho' as the sole is getting pretty flat, before the upper or cushioning shows any sort of damage at all, and that's pretty unusual i.m.experience.

BUT they have a lot of cushioning, as they're a trail not fell shoe, so likely not what you want.

samuel_w 03 Oct 2022
In reply to The Fox:

I tend to opt for Walsh on very rough rocky routes where the rock is often wet (Langdale fell race being an example of this). They are a close fitting shoe - something I prefer for poor conditions. I’ve found X Talons decent on rocky routes too, though haven’t put as much trust in them as Walsh (much of this is psychological on my part). VJ iRock do a good job as well. I’ve not found graphene in Inov8 shoes has made any difference, but that’s just for me personally.  

That said, I agree with comments of others on this thread - nothing is great on wet rock. For me, I’ve run best on wet rock when I’ve had plenty of practice at it - lots of volume at low speed, then reps at pace over that sort of terrain & sussing out what worked (& what didn’t) in races. Sounds obvious but knowing where you can weight your foot with confidence definitely helps. 

DaveHK 03 Oct 2022
In reply to The Potato:

> Salomon...... 

> Ha! No

I've found Salomons at each end of the wet rock grip spectrum. 

Jimbo C 04 Oct 2022
In reply to The Norris:

> I had some haglof trail shoes that were absolutely terrible, slipped on my ar*e many times! My solution on a particularly long slopey stepped descent was to take them off - Socks were great! Possibly not good for those with expensive socks, but I guess carrying a cheap pair could be an option. 

I was going to mention socks - but large socks put on over your shoes.

A friend tried socks over his walking boots during a ghyll scramble and was impressed with the grip.

shuffle 04 Oct 2022
In reply to Ryan23:

Do you happen to know how the sizing is on the Mutants compared to Inov-8? Any need to size up?

Thanks

greg_may_ 04 Oct 2022
In reply to shuffle:

Normal shoe size for me. Same as Inov-8.

shuffle 05 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Thanks Greg!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...