UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Kentmere Horseshoe from Kendal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Scaife 29 Sep 2022
There are some walks in the Lake District that everyone with an interest in the outdoors really ought to do, and the Kentmere Horseshoe - or Kentmere Round as it is also known - is one of them. The walking is varied, the views are extensive, and there are numerous summits to enjoy. Walking the route from Kendal turns it into a real challenge, but this is certainly not a head-down test of endurance. The market town gives way to a scenic walk beside the River Kent up into the narrow valley of Kentmere, before joining the classic Horseshoe and including the oft-omitted peaks of Thornthwaite Crag and High Street, both of which are entirely worth the extra effort. Descending into Longsleddale, the walk now follows this tranquil yet rugged valley south, then takes a series of paths across the south-eastern part of Potter Fell back to Burneside and the return into Kendal. [article(14579)]

32.25 miles, 51.90 km, 1,603m ascent, 12 – 18 hours. Kendal

Read more

Norman Hadley 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Chris Scaife:

That's a good, hefty outing, Chris. It wasn't until a few years ago I realised Kendal = Kentdale = Kentd'l so this seems like a logical starting-point.

plyometrics 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Hefty outing with plenty of variety too. It’s a great suggestion.

briansy 03 Oct 2022
In reply to Chris Scaife:

Thanks so much for adding this, Chris. I was looking for a lower down walk one day this summer as the tops were covered in cloud and the walk to Kentmere reservoir and back was thoroughly enjoyable. I hope it's not considered a thread jack to post pics of that here. Just as an added bit of context as to what is available in the area near Kentmere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...