UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Em - A profile of Emilie Pellerin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Sep 2022

This week's Friday Night Video is a profile of Emilie Pellerin, a Canadian climber and one of only a handful of women to have climbed 5.14 trad. The film takes a glance at Emilie's 'dirtbag life,' her natural ability, and attempts to put right the fact that you've never heard of her!

Read more

Paul Sagar 01 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

What an amazing climber

Someone should tell her about crack gloves though

peter.herd 02 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Well captured with some great shots.  Inspiring.

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Yeah she looks like a noob, she's probably never heard of those...

Maybe you could drop her a line and explain to her how to climb cracks? From the video it looks like she nearly there but would benefit from a good man explaining to her the correct equipment and technique. 

Paul Sagar 02 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

Christ it was obviously a silly joke. But well done for showing how virtuous you are and “calling me out”. God I hate the internet. Back to no more looking at these stupid forums for me. 

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Toys/ pram spring to mind. Wouldn’t count myself as particularly virtuous but it just looked a bit shabby that one of only two comments was someone having what looked like a slight pop - maybe stick a winky face on or whatever next time and it’ll be clear you’re being satirical? 

jon 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati:

> Toys/ pram spring to mind. Wouldn’t count myself as particularly virtuous but it just looked a bit shabby that one of only two comments was someone having what looked like a slight pop - maybe stick a winky face on or whatever next time and it’ll be clear you’re being satirical? 

I didn't read it as having a pop. More a compliment, in fact.

In reply to jon and Paul: 

Maybe having a pop was a bit strong. Unsolicited advice, which verges on the condescending was what I meant. An exclamation mark or something at the end would have changed the character of the sentence and made it appear less like mansplaining. Maybe it was just me who read it like that, if so, I’m sorry for taking it the wrong way. 

C Witter 05 Oct 2022
In reply to UKC News:

A great looking line and a big and exciting achievement... very well done. But, despite an engaging protagonist, beautiful environment and stunning rock... the film was a bit poor, I thought.

You get a lot of staged scenes that are only there to advertise (the DMM racking; the visit to the Arctyrex factory). These are interspersed by endlessly dull and meaningless 1-to-1 interviews with men legitimating this woman climber's achievements: "It's so hard", "Like, it's really hard, you know", "When you go out, people are exclaiming, 'like, who is this person climbing so hard?', you know." Then the footage of her actually doing the climb feels really abbreviated and you don't really get to savour the fight... So, it all falls a bit flat. That was my impression, anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...