UKC

Petzl Head Torch for getting home from yoga and socials

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

As it gets darker and I am still going to attend yoga and social sessions at walls I am considering buying a Petzl head torch.

It also can be used on walking back from crags and around cities.

Is this a good idea and what model people recommend?

Sav

Post edited at 22:06
 Dave the Rave 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Newly converted from years of Petzyl to Fenix HM65R. 

jmchich 01 Oct 2022

I have one... no wait, two... Petzl Tikkas (long story). I highly recommend them. Used for camping, finishing up routes in the dark, walking to/from the pub and during a power cut. Has, I think, 3 power modes, never needed to use more than mode 2. Batteries seem to last well, and you can get a rechargeable battery pack for it too.

John

Run_Ross_Run 01 Oct 2022

Bindi 👍

In reply to Dave the Rave:

>  Newly converted from years of Petzyl to Fenix HM65R. 

Funny thing. Lol.

Your Username is the same as my cousin's former WatsApp name. 

Sav

In reply to jmchich:

> I have one... no wait, two... Petzl Tikkas (long story). I highly recommend them. Used for camping, finishing up routes in the dark, walking to/from the pub and during a power cut. Has, I think, 3 power modes, never needed to use more than mode 2. Batteries seem to last well, and you can get a rechargeable battery pack for it too.

> John

John. 

Thank you.

You are pretty much the same as me with the uses. I love going for a meal in the evening when I am out of town/in town. My yoga venue is around 10-15 min walk from the bus stop and White Spider climbing is 20 mins walk from Tolworth Station and then a possible walk to my nearest station to my house.  

Sav

In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Thanks. Will have it in mind.

Dave Todd 01 Oct 2022

My first criteria for headtorches these days is 'rechargeable'.  You can always go out with a fully charged torch and you'll save a load of money on batteries.

Current favourite for general purpose, short jaunts (road runs, walks in the woods, mandatory kit on SLMM) is the Black Diamond Sprint 225.  Very small and light and well made.

Reviewed here;

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/lighting/black_diamond_sprint_225_a...

About £35ish

In reply to Dave Todd:

Looks great and interesting

Defo will have it mind.

A great review by Dan Bailey. Love it.

I have a good & close friend who is a BD athlete.

Sav

CantClimbTom 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Dave Todd:

Yeah for uses like OP stated, having a torch you can plug into a normal phone charger and charge or just top up, without having to remove batteries is worth its weight in gold. Many of the small petzl torches, like Tikka, Tikkina, Actik, Tactikka take the (optional extra about £24) core battery - which I thoroughly recommend, which does charge from USB but you have to open the headtorch to do that. Unless you go to the more expensive Swift or  NAO+ , but NAO+  may be over the top and over priced  for OP's uses. Maybe the Swift?? 

Or think broader than petzl. There was a day when petzl was THE go-to company for head torches, but times have changed

Post edited at 08:49
 Pinch'a'salt 02 Oct 2022

Another vote here for the Petzl Bindi, small, light, rechargeable (usb) and bright enough for the uses you mention...

Just get one of the below Sav, cheap and cheerful. Easy

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15986802/eurohike-1w-cob-headtorch-15986802

crayefish 02 Oct 2022

Aktik Core all the way... Great battery life, USB rechargeable, and I've even started using it on my expeditions as my primary torch as its done better at low temps (as low as -40) than my special 'polar' remote battery one.

It's basically an affordable everyday headtorch that can start up to the rigours of expeditions if needed.  Amazing unit.

They're brilliant, very neat and compact. I've got two; don't know what models they are (I have to rush out now so can't get them out to look). Both have about three LED lights, with different settings, brightness, numbers of lights, and flashing.

CantClimbTom 02 Oct 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Until my Dad (could just as easily have been me, but I'm blaming him...) left mine somewhere on Cnicht I had one of those and was impressed by it too. I am considering a Tactikka RGB for climbing and or approach in red light mode (no I don't wish to explain that 😉) but I'm not sure this meets OP's needs though

Edit: maybe this is just me? but I'd pay extra to NOT have lots of 🤬 flashing modes on my head torches.

Post edited at 17:26
 TMM 02 Oct 2022

If you want Petzl then go for some old skool cool vibes by tracking down a Zoom. That dates back to the time when a ‘head torch’ and a ‘Petzl’ where comfortably interchangeable,

In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

> Another vote here for the Petzl Bindi, small, light, rechargeable (usb) and bright enough for the uses you mention...

I am impressed with what I have read about the Petzl Bindi so far.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Great idea Euan! Thanks!

Are you up for training at Depot Sheffield sometimes soon?

Sav

Ye, sounds good.

Get here.

> Ye, sounds good.

> Get here.

Next week I am planning to return to Sheff.

Post edited at 12:39
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> They're brilliant, very neat and compact. I've got two; don't know what models they are (I have to rush out now so can't get them out to look). Both have about three LED lights, with different settings, brightness, numbers of lights, and flashing.

Hi Gordon.

Would you be able to find out which models you have please?

Bye

Sav

In reply to crayefish:

> Aktik Core all the way... Great battery life, USB rechargeable, and I've even started using it on my expeditions as my primary torch as its done better at low temps (as low as -40) than my special 'polar' remote battery one.

> It's basically an affordable everyday headtorch that can start up to the rigours of expeditions if needed.  Amazing unit.

Which one?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:petzl+actik+core/?search=petzl+actik+core&am...

Toerag 05 Oct 2022

Also look at LED Lenser as they are equally good quality and tend to have better focussing ability than Petzls.

Post edited at 14:43
 nniff 05 Oct 2022

I've got several headtorches that I use when i need a torch on my head and both hands free.  However, for dog walking (walking through the dark, wooded but and picking up after them).  Ditto walking down unlit roads. I just use my mini-maglite, which has outlived at least 5 headtorches and now has an LED bulb upgrade.   Fits easily in a pocket, doesn't switch on by accident, or just pack up like Silva headtorches. I think I last replaced the batteries a couple of years ago

In reply to nniff:

I'll check them mini-maglite out.

What is you are walking friends to their cars?

Sav

Another use is doing pull ups on my tower in the dark.

> Hi Gordon.

> Would you be able to find out which models you have please?

I've got them out now. The older one is actually not a Petzl but a Silverpoint one (strange, because I was sure they were both Petzl). The Silverpoint has 3 'bulbs' and four settings. 1 Bright centre light. 2. Not so bright centre light. 3 Two side lights illuminating a wider area 4. the two outer lights flashing.

The Petzl (newer and lighter) has two bulbs, and is called a Tikkina. It just has two bulbs and two settings. 1. Bright, 2. Not so bright. It's fine/good. The flashing light on the other is a gimmick anyway - not quite sure what it's for.

Actually, I suppose the flashing light is useful on a bike on your helmet at night. 

Post edited at 21:14
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I've got them out now. The older one is actually not a Petzl but a Silverpoint one (strange, because I was sure they were both Petzl). The Silverpoint has 3 'bulbs' and four settings. 1 Bright centre light. 2. Not so bright centre light. 3 Two side lights illuminating a wider area 4. the two outer lights flashing.

> The Petzl (newer and lighter) has two bulbs, and is called a Tikkina. It just has two bulbs and two settings. 1. Bright, 2. Not so bright. It's fine/good. The flashing light on the other is a gimmick anyway - not quite sure what it's for.

> Actually, I suppose the flashing light is useful on a bike on your helmet at night. 

Hi Gordon.

Thank you very much for this - you are a top guy.

Very helpful info. 

Bye 

Sav

> John. 

> Thank you.

> You are pretty much the same as me with the uses. I love going for a meal in the evening when I am out of town/in town. My yoga venue is around 10-15 min walk from the bus stop and White Spider climbing is 20 mins walk from Tolworth Station and then a possible walk to my nearest station to my house.  

> Sav

I am wondering who down-voted this post!

Sav

> Thanks. Will have it in mind.

Wondering who down-voted this simple post.

Sav 

It is Petzl not Petzyl.

McHeath 07 Oct 2022

> Wondering who down-voted this simple post.

> Sav 

Honestly Sav, first you leap from toproping Mods to leading Sabotage, and then you need advice about a high-end headtorch for getting back from the pub ... no streetlights in London?

(PS it wasn´t me!)

In reply to McHeath:

> Honestly Sav, first you leap from toproping Mods to leading Sabotage, and then you need advice about a high-end headtorch for getting back from the pub ... no streetlights in London?

> (PS it wasn´t me!)

Hi 

I posted in the thread about mental training and mental strength why I ticked that route.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/walls+training/importance_of_mental_stren...

Pub? I didn't say pub! I don't drink alcohol.

They are no streetlights from White Spider to Tolworth Station and definitely none in Crystal Palace Park where the yoga class venue is - there are the floodlights of the stadium.

I know it wasn't you.

Sav 

Post edited at 01:46
 McHeath 07 Oct 2022

Ok sorry, I stand corrected - good luck with your search! 

In reply to McHeath:

> Ok sorry, I stand corrected - good luck with your search! 

Thank you.

May I ask, what are saying with that winking emoji?

Sav 

McHeath 07 Oct 2022

My way of acknowledging that I've been let into the secret of why you logged Sabotage

In reply to McHeath:

Super cool as baenz.

I've just DM'd you.

Sav on Depot Comp Wall

Post edited at 14:28
In reply to McHeath:

General Stupidofsky KoffKov

It was good climbing with you at The Depot Sheffield on Thurs.

Nasty Nick Cotton from EastEnders  and Jez Quiqley from Coronation Street.

Dave the Rave 16 Oct 2022

Hmmm. Have I offended you in some way? 

Didn’t you like my torch recommendation? 

¿Te llamas David Gould? Si es así, me has ofendido.

Dave the Rave 16 Oct 2022

Not a clue, see ya. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...