UKC

Netflix - Aftershock and the Everest Earthquake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbEdclimb 09 Oct 2022

Anyone else been watching the recently released Netflix documentary on the aftermath of the 2015 earthquake in Nepal. Really interesting watch and some pretty horrific (if not also incredible footage). 

Two things however have stuck out for me from Episode 2 & 3 (while also accepting that this is Netflix so some parts may be cherry picked/sensationalised to some extent).

1: The US climber in Camp 1, even after the earthquake has struck and despite having heard over the radio about mass destruction and casualties down at basecamp, he still wants to push on and climb Everest because he wants to get his moneys worth....

2: The Israeli trekkers in Langtang valley thinking it a good idea to break into an apparently locked box and taking the money from it back to the surviving villagers and then being shocked that they are upset... whether they were bringing it to them or stealing it, not sure, but even the thought that this is a thing to do is crazy. Not to mention subsequently being surprised that the villagers don't take this well and a fight breaks out. 

Just thought that these two moments showed a basic lack of understanding/ common sense/decency 

Enty 09 Oct 2022
In reply to climbEdclimb:

Just watched E1 and E2. The Israelis FFS!
In a situation like that why on earth would you break into a locked box??
And do you think the woman was really dead before they covered her in blankets and left her? Not a chance.

E

Slackboot 09 Oct 2022

Those things aside the actual footage of the avalanche cloud heading for base camp was well scary! 

65 09 Oct 2022
In reply to Enty:

You and the OP have put me off watching it. Aside from there being enough bad shit going on in the world, if there's one thing that doesn't need feeding it's my ever worsening view of so-called humanity.

OP climbEdclimb 10 Oct 2022
In reply to Enty:

was certainly a little unsure about that - I think what surprised me more is there seemed to be quite a few of them but only one person was picking up the woman (and they said they were ex-military so thought they might have some knowledge around transporting a casualty as a group).

Although very easy to for me to say this when being shown 5 mins on Netflix compared to actually being there - but it doesn't paint them in the best picture.

Also actually only just finished episode 3.... the fact they had a way of communicating with the outside world, kept that to themselves and just tried to organise their own rescue, while also requesting that whoever came to rescue them brought a gun was just inexcusable.

OP climbEdclimb 10 Oct 2022
In reply to 65:

Can't blame you for not wanting to watch and I certainly wasn't expecting a cheery documentary given the subject however in it there are some elements that also shows what's great about humanity. 

But... some of the interviewees, their decision making and justification certainly tips the scales to making this a more 'frustrating' watch. 

Enty 10 Oct 2022

Just finished E3. What a bunch of absolute tw**s those guys were.

E

David Alcock 11 Oct 2022

A strong watch. I'd say, ignore the tw@ts - why waste breath on them? - and let the courage of everyone else be the main subject.

I wept a couple of times. One was selfish, the other was true. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...