UKC

Running lumbar packs / bum bags / belts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 13 Oct 2022

I was inspired by the wildcamping / running article recently to want to try a running bumbag thing, I've been using a decathlon 10L vest for a few years but like the idea of my shoulders being unencumbered.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/fastpacking_-_without_a_pack-748814

The chap in this article uses the Sierra Designs 7-10 (and somehow magically gets a full camping set up in there!). I was thinking of getting one for general long runs, but wanted the larger one so I could put hoodie/baselayer, waterproof coat/trousers etc.. Maybe even use it for hiking as well just to feel a bit lighter on my feet.

I've had a look around on websites like ultralight outdoor gear and can't see anything quite the same in terms of size (that includes two bottle pockets etc.) Reviews seem pretty decent and say it doesn't bounce around etc.

Has anyone got experience running with these type of things, what are they like? I've never used one before and £55 is quite an investment for a jump into the unknown.

wbo2 13 Oct 2022
In reply to elliot.baker: Personally hate them and much prefer a vest

plyometrics 13 Oct 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

You won’t go wrong with one of these: https://theomm.com/product-tag/waistbelt-6/

OP elliot.baker 13 Oct 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

oo that does look good and capacious (if that's a word!), and the hip belt looks nice and wide. But it lacks the outer compression straps of the Sierra Design one, which you can also use to stow stuff on the outside.

I'll do a bit of research into it, thankyou!

Edit: i take it back the OMM has compression cord!

Post edited at 13:09
 Forest Dump 13 Oct 2022

I have a Raidlight tube / wide belt type affair sub divided into a few pockets. Capacity wise it took a fair bit but has a tendency to slip which was worse with certain short materials 

Ridge 13 Oct 2022
In reply to wbo2:

> Personally hate them and much prefer a vest

Ditto. If you're carrying minimal race kit and no water, a belt is great.

Running with a load of gear and water bouncing about at hip level? Not for me, although I suspect running style plays a big part.

Lowe Alpine Mesa 6 Litre Beltpack works pretty well and is relatively bounce free compared with the older models.  Usually carry Sol bivi, hat, gloves, basic first aid kit, map, compass, bit of food, headtorch and 500ml drink (soft flask or "flat" Inov8 flask) internally.  The compression straps will stash a minimal run jacket and you could probably squeeze really minimal overtrousers in the compression strap loop on the underside.

My hill runs runs are only about 20k max but find this bumbag very comfortable.  Certainly pleasant having a condensation free back (!) although I do sometimes wear a vest to carry more fluid in hotter weather.

Cheers 

plyometrics 13 Oct 2022

It’s a great pack. I’ve run the Lakeland 50 twice with the waist pack, cramming all the required kit into it. Never struggled with it being an encumbrance. It’s very comfortable.

The main benefit for me is the speed with which you can access stuff on the move, particularly when you’re cold. A quick whizz round to the front and you’re straight in there. Indeed, I’ve been caught out in the fells with a race vest with super cold hands, unable to unbuckle the chest strap to get it off my back!

Vests have their place, but there we’re over 400 people running the Langdale Horseshoe race on Saturday, the majority of whom were wearing waist packs; so I’d argue they can’t be that bad!

maxsmith 13 Oct 2022
In reply to Ghastlyrabbitfat:

I second this recommendation for the Lowe Alpine Mesa 6.  I recently bought the old model on ebay for a tenner and cut out all of the internal pockets and superfluous straps etc to bring the weight down to just over 200g.  Haven't bivvied with it yet but could easily fit a minimalist sleeping setup in there.  As above the external compression straps are useful for carrying extra stuff.   

I bought the bag as a cheap way to see if a big bum bag worked for me and I'm really sold on it.  I've tried a running vest once and didn't like the feel of the shoulder straps..

shuffle 13 Oct 2022

I've got a very old larger bum bag that I sometimes use for walking, but wouldn't fancy running with it due to bounce.

I think a small bum bag works well when carrying basic kit and have a Rock and Run one that I use a lot, but I definitely prefer a vest when carrying more. I'd be tempted to try and borrow a larger capacity bum bag before forking out £55 for one. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...