UKC

Smart Work Appropriate Boots/ Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ned taylor 04 Nov 2022

Can anyone recommend me a pair of smart, work appropriate boots or shoes? Still with 'outdoor' credentials. Quality build, decent sole/ tread, walking comfort, water resistance/ proofness etc
Probably plain Black as far as possible.
My current Salewa approach shoes are nearing the end of their life, and I've got a new job involving plenty of traipsing around Manchester combined with office work, so ideally I'd like to kill two birds and get one new pair of boots/ shoes that will do the job of shorter countryside hikes as well as urban/ office life.
I'd stick with Salewa, but they go pretty big on their outlandish designs.
Thanks.

In reply to ned taylor:

I see lots of doc martens or blundstones Chelsea boots at work if something like that might fit the bill. 

Harry Jarvis 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

You could do worse than look at the Ecco range. Not cheap, but some possible options for you there. 

Doug 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Can you get Mephisto shoes in the UK ? they have a couple of models which might be suitable

OP ned taylor 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Cheers all. I suppose I was imagining something from a more 'outdoor' background; Scarpa/ TNF/ Sportiva etc..
But you're right, perhaps I ought to consider something more like a chelsea boot. Can't remember the last time a purchased any footwear that didn't come from a climbing/ biking/ hiking brand.

My main desire is just to keep warm and dry feet, well insulated from the perma-wet of Manchester pavements.

Graeme G 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Brashers? I’ve never worn them so can’t comment. But I’ve be seen them in Tiso and sound like they might fit your needs.

Harry Jarvis 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

> Brashers? I’ve never worn them so can’t comment. But I’ve be seen them in Tiso and sound like they might fit your needs.

I thought Brashers as well, but having looked on their website, it seems they are not available in black. If brown is acceptable to the OP, I'd certainly second this suggestion. 

midgen 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

+1 for chelsea boots. I have some Sorel Madson leather ones that are brilliant for dealing with the winter weather while being quite smart.

Toerag 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> I thought Brashers as well, but having looked on their website, it seems they are not available in black. If brown is acceptable to the OP, I'd certainly second this suggestion. 

Me too, as that's exactly what I wear for work - 'smart casual' dress code.

Wingnut 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

>>doc martens

I always used to wear DM boots back when I had to wear suit trousers for work. They polish up nicely, but still keep deepish puddles out.

Fatclimber 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Toerag:

I had planned to do this as well (Brashers), but found they did just not fit (too narrow), so if you go this route, try them on first.

Post edited at 18:17
 Guy Hurst 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

A friend has worn Brasher shoes at work for many years but reckons the last couple of pairs he bought were nowhere near the same quality as the earlier ones. Not as comfortable, poorer materials and less hard wearing.

F. W. Tyson in Ambleside have a good range of smart/outdoor shoes by the likes of Mephisto and Lowa. They also sell online, and the prices aren't too outrageous.

Paul at work 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Which Salewa approach shoes are you currently using?

There are a few designs that are a bit duller that the normal salewa bright. Try https://www.salewa.com/en-gb/mountain-trainer-2-mens-shoes-00-0000061371?nu...

AlanLittle 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Timberland might be another one to look at - they don't only make big yellow lumberjack boots, thy also do chelsea boots and other things that in my experience are reasonably robust but also reasonably smart.

Forest Dump 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

DM Chelsea Boots will look smart for a year, and good enough for casual / pub for another. Pretty weather / puddle proof as well.

But, if you've got used to cushioned trail runners/hokas etc then you realise they're not that comfy for long days. That can be mitigated by a pair of Enertor insoles

Morty 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Sealskinz socks and cheap shoes from Shoe Market. 

You're welcome.

Fraser 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

I know I'm often banging the Decathlon drum,  but I have an older version of these which are black and grey (not fluoro!) and have been excellent for about 4-5 years now. Very waterproof & comfortable with good traction but they're also very warm, which isn't always a good thing:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-mountain-hiking-shoes-mh900-...

Babika 04 Nov 2022
In reply to Robbo1:

£170 for work shoes?

You are Rishi Sunak and I claim my £5

angry pirate 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

I have dabbled with Scarpa's "casual" range for for in the past along with Brasher (which never lasted long) and DMs,  but the best for me is Clarks outdoor range.

I've had a pair of their goretex-lined "outdoor range" shoes (admittedly in brown) for about five years and , bearing in mind I'm a teacher and spend all of my day on my feet) they are still in pretty decent nick. They are a huge improvement on their general range which would last me about six months.

When these eventually die, I'll replace them with the same.

matt1984 04 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Simple anwser - Arcteryx Aerios FL Mids. Tick every box you want.

I wear these for work and site visits (architect) in the winter. They're bombproof, dress up/down easliy, and are very well made. Absolute bargain below: 

https://www.facewest.co.uk/Arcteryx-Aerios-FL-Mid-GTX-Mens.html?Product_Att...

Post edited at 23:41
 Ridge 05 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

This has to be the most middle class UKC thread ever!
I wear a cheap pair of black shoes from the local outlet centre, in bad weather I wear some black DM look a like boots from the outlet centre, and anything worse I wear my issue safety boots.

Levy_danny 05 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

I have a pair of Mephisto rainbow which I wear for work a lot but we have smart casual dress policy and I don’t think you could dress them up with a suit, otherwise I would probably be looking at a pair of red wing iron ranger. Bit of a break in period but they’re good year welted so could potentially last decades if you treat them right. I wear redwing 875 as well but again they’re on the more casual side. Quite pricey but hand made and bomb proof. 

Tringa 05 Nov 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Perhaps something from here - https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/

Dave

wercat 05 Nov 2022
In reply to ned taylor:

Aku Pilgrim (black)

sample offering https://www.trekitt.co.uk/footwear/boots/aku-pilgrim-fg-gtx-black__35409

proved stable carrying a significant load on very steep terrain

Post edited at 10:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...