UKC

Remote crags with easy routes Northern England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 13 Nov 2022

Evening all, 

Thinking of a night or two in the hills,  and was wondering if anyone could recommend a crag / set of crags that's a bit of a walk in,  with some low grade easy stuff, and ok for wild camping. Oh, and also on dog friendly land. Was thinking of maybe some remote crag in the lakes / yorkshire dales or pennines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 

Andy Hardy 13 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I always fancied going here:  Henhole Crags 

DaveHK 13 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I always fancied going here:  Henhole Crags 

That was my first thought. There's not loads there though and College Grooves is definitely the highlight. 

alan moore 13 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Might still get away with Combe Gill and Gillercombe at this time of year. Pavey and Gimmer as well with a camp at Stickle Tarn.

pec 13 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

There's actually a little wooden bivi hut quite close to Hen Hole, about half a mile away, on the Pennine Way. We stayed in that when we climbed there. Also the approach described in the guidebook is very long or requires written permission to drive nearer. It's simpler and quicker to walk in from Cocklawfoot to the west on the Scottish side (about 1.5hrs), though the drive may be longer depending on where you're coming from. And finally, be aware there are adders at the crag, you wouldn't want to get bitten that far from  help.

In reply to Frankie Boy:

The obvious crag in the Lakes that ticks all your requirements is Pillar. Esk Buttress would be another with a camp in Upper Eskdale.

OP Frankie boy 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Actually that was one of the crags that came up as o was scanning through guides, but i know nowt about it but i reckon i might give it a go. 

In reply to alan moore:

I've five s but at gimmer and pavey n but never been to gillercombe or combe gill so will have a look at that. 

In reply to pec:

Thanks,  I'll have a look.  I've never been up there because of the walk in, but oddly it never crossed my mind when i thought about a walk in with a camp spot

Slackboot 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I camped and climbed there for a week in the late 70's.  We did every route in the guide book. I felt like Walter Bonatti or Hermann Buhl that week. Never saw a soul.It was such a great feeling being young and fit. 

In reply to Frankie boy:

There's always Laddow if you wanted the easy option.

Rog Wilko 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Nights are very long for camping at this time of year! In our younger days Mrs Wilko and I did a memorable weekend on Pillar. We walked in from Honister via Mose’s Trod. It makes access with a minimal amount of climbing. Some great easy routes on Pillar Rock.

Lankyman 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankieremoter.Your profile hints that you're south of England based? Would Wales be closer for you? There are remote places in the North Pennines and Dales but camping (especially with Bonzo) might be problematic due to all the grouse and sheep issues. It's also dark early and pretty variable weather right now. The Lakes is good for what you want but a lot of the remoter stuff is high up and slow to dry. I've bivvied below Pillar Rock and camped near Esk Buttress but it was in the summer.

In reply to Frankie boy:

Just to add to Lankymans reply The Henhole isn't a winter crag it faces North and a particular type of very slippy igneous rock.

johnt 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

No it doesn't - it faces South (Peake's buttress on the other side of the burn faces North)... however i agree, it isn't really a winter climbing destination - lack of visitors ensures a good covering of lichen... 

OP Frankie boy 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

I'll have to check my profile, am actually based in Skipton, although it can often be quicker to head south or west given the road systems.

I really like the idea of the Pennines or Swaledale or such, but yes, the dog is the thing I was concerned about, there's plenty of land even round here that's not open to dogs.

J.upton94 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

I know people have wild camped plenty at Lord's Seat and  Simon's Seat. Although not massively remote.

Healaugh (Crag Willas) Feels completely remote with short easy routes, and I don't think there will be too many issues outside of shooting season. 

Post edited at 08:42
 iainJ 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Have you considered the Henstone Band?  There is only bouldering, though it's fairly remote with a 1.5 hour walk in.

DaveHK 18 Nov 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Not really remote is it?

Lankyman 18 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

And the farmer doesn't like dogs there

olddirtydoggy 19 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

It's been a while but the slog up the hill in the dark with a rack and tent seemed to go on forever. Perhaps a daylight hike with just a rack would have left me remembering the experience differently. The hike straight back down in the morning in pouring rain wasn't quick either. You're probably right.

DaveHK 19 Nov 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> It's been a while but the slog up the hill in the dark with a rack and tent seemed to go on forever. Perhaps a daylight hike with just a rack would have left me remembering the experience differently. The hike straight back down in the morning in pouring rain wasn't quick either. You're probably right.

Are you sure you're thinking about the right place? Twistleton is about 500m from the road.

Lankyman 19 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Are you sure you're thinking about the right place? Twistleton is about 500m from the road.

I'm intrigued as well. It's probably one of the last crags I'd think of for a wild camp - rocky ground everywhere, no water (except what you could carry) and not much level ground apart from the very exposed moor above the upper tiers.

Mark Eddy 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Buckbarrow; Steeple; Bowfell; Esk Buttress are a few Lakes crags that come to mind. None of them will be suitable for climbing at this time of year, but could be okay by mid-spring if there's a mild and dry period.

olddirtydoggy 20 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes, the point I was making was that due to the weather and the size and weight of the packs we were carrying, it made the memory seem as though the walk in was longer than it actually was. You are quite right on reflection, Twistleton isn't remote.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...