UKC

Yoga vs Pilates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 24 Nov 2022

Which should I do? Not expecting to become a better climber, just looking for something to help improve flexibility, posture, general wellbeing (or at least slow down the rate at which all three are deteriorating). Or, is the real answer Yogalates? 

freeflyer 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

Pilates. You can always graduate to yoga later if you want extra challenge. I resisted for ages but now don’t miss a session.

Removed User 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

I think yoga girls tend to be younger, pilates is more grandma orientated but I don't know how you roll obviously...

Post edited at 20:06
 mondite 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

There isnt a simple answer.

yoga in particular has so many different variations that give very different results. Bit like going "climbing" and having a choice of going up everest or doing autobelay session.

Pilates, as I understand it, is in theory more structured but in practice instructors vary massively as well.

Personally I have ended up with yoga mostly due to a couple of really good instructors but if I moved elsewhere might well end up doing pilates instead.

Best to go along and try a few to find a type which suits you.

PaulW 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

I do both, i think they complement each other well. For flexibility, posture and general wellbeing I would try yoga.

there are as many different sorts of yoga as there are of climbing. Do your research, some might be more what you are after than others.

Rog Wilko 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

Reformer pilates is absolutely marvellous. I have an hour 1 to 1 session every 2 or 3 weeks at the moment. I come out feeling 10 years younger. I don’t know why it is so little known. Expensive but worth every penny.

climbingpixie 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

> Or, is the real answer Yogalates? 

That's essentially what I do. I go to a yoga for runners class and it's a mix of yoga (mostly hatha but some yin and vinyasa) for flexibility/balance and pilates type stuff (planks, boats etc) for strength and conditioning. It's very functional, aimed at people who want to use yoga to improve their general physical capabilities rather than at people who want to be good at yoga. No omming or any of the woo that you get with some classes either!

Toby_W 24 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

Back problems or you just want incredible core strength and to be better at everything because of this, Pilates.

General strength and flexibility and feeling amazing afterwards, yoga.

Pilates was hardest for suffering, yoga for the surrounding distractions.

Good luck

Toby

kevin stephens 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Toby_W:

> Pilates was hardest for suffering, yoga for the surrounding distractions.

Yes, I overheard some women saying that at the yoga session I went to

stubbed 25 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

If you were a menopausal-age woman or anyone with back niggles I'd say pilates without a doubt. It has totally changed my body since I started it after a back problem. Skiing, running, walking & strength all totally improved (almost as if I'd never had children...)

Yoga - good for relaxation & flexibility

neilh 25 Nov 2022
In reply to ripper:

Done both.

Its the teacher which is critical. Finding a good teacher is the path to improvement and enjoyment. So try a few tatser classes with different teachers and then settle on somebody who ticks your boxes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...