UKC

deep water soloing travel insurance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbingnoob 27 Nov 2022

Hi,

Does anyone know if any insurance companies cover deep water soloing? I wanted to try this in thailand but can't find any policies where it is covered.

Thanks. 

ablackett 27 Nov 2022
In reply to climbingnoob:

BMC - Rock insurance look like it covers it.

Jakewilson89 28 Nov 2022

Yeah BMC is the best bet. I balked at the cost a few years ago and rang round a few of the cheaper travel insurers that covered climbing, but none of them could cover DWS when it was explained to them. 

Cobra_Head 28 Nov 2022

Just do it anyway and say you slipped?

snoop6060 28 Nov 2022

DWS has been (or at least was not long ago) banned around the krabi / tonsai area of Thailand. Not sure if it’s possible to still do it or not. Nobody was when we were there and a lot of the ropes and ladders to get on the route were in a very bad way. Defo worth checking if it’s still banned if that’s where you’re heading.  

climbingnoob 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Was looking at quotes for insurance. Cheapest i found was £135 (insure and go annual). Admiral do an annual for £36. Crazy how to get rock climbing insurance adds £100 to the policy. Have people done without special climbing insurance in the past and claimed on normal medical by pulling a porky like: "I slipped whilst walking in the hills" or something?

Thoughts? 

climbingnoob 10 Dec 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

thanks for the heads up. well if it's not allowed i'll just try find some locals to do sport climbing with. Any ideas if there's a local group/club I could do adhoc climbing with? Someone vaguely mentioned there's a local climbing community i can meet to climb with in the tonsai area. 

elsewhere 10 Dec 2022

> Thoughts? 

Don't ask about it on a public and archived internet forum before you do it, oops, too late. 

Post edited at 08:58
climbingnoob 10 Dec 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

luckily no one knows me on here. lol. I'm your average noob climber :p

snoop6060 10 Dec 2022

You’ll find someone for sure. I’d just turn up at the crag and ask for a belay. There’s is usually tons of people just sat around at the busier crags. Failing that you can hire a guide for not too much money. 

climbingnoob 10 Dec 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

Do you know if the equipment is expensive to hire out there, and is it safe? Cos i'm going to another country before thailand i don't want to carry a harness and helmet with me too. Hoping I can hire that for the 4/5 days i'll be in Krabi. I found a shop called Railey climbing shop. Any good?

Mlewis 11 Dec 2022

I'm traveling around the islands next week. I don't have any climbing kit but I was hoping to find a guide that might take us out. 

When are you out here, I'll let you know how I get on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...