UKC

Half Rope diameter decision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oscar Dodd 27 Nov 2022

Grabbing a set of half ropes. I've found a brilliant deal on a set of 8.1mm half ropes but haven't used ropes that skinny before. Somewhat concerned they'll wear quickly or be a pain to belay with. Has anyone get any thoughts? Cheers

kevin stephens 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

Is the deal good enough to pay for a new belay device? Your current one may be too slick for the skinny ropes

DaveHK 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

What are they? I've used icelines for years summer and winter and they last pretty well.

SteveJC94 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

I’ve had a pair of Petzl Rumbas (8.0mm) for over a year and they still look very fresh. They even stood up well to a week of abuse on the super rough Gneiss on Lewis and Harris. 

OP Oscar Dodd 27 Nov 2022
In reply to kevin stephens:

DMM Pivot so should be fine at that diameter luckily!

OP Oscar Dodd 27 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Lookng at the Fixie Zen full dry, can get the pair for £150. Tempted by the rumbas too...

John Kelly 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

Seems to depend heavily on the rope and rock type - in my experience Mammut ropes appear to be indestructible but Edelrid wear quite quickly.

8mms are perfect for trad 

As someone said higher up the post- buy a dedicated belay plate - DMM Mantis is very good 

midgen 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

I have a pair of the 8.4 Fixe Fanatics and they've been great for the money, very nice handling.

Will Oliver 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

Ive got Mammut alpine classics 8.0mm with a good year and a half/200+ pitches wear and are going well

Mark Kemball 28 Nov 2022
In reply to John Kelly:

> 8mms are perfect for trad 

> As someone said higher up the post- buy a dedicated belay plate - DMM Mantis is very good 

This, I use a bugette.

oldie 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark Kemball:

ATC Alpine Guide is designed for thin ropes. Don't think Bugette is still made?

In reply to Oscar Dodd:

My Edelrid Opus 7.9mm half’s are great. Super light, lovely to clip and use. Some care needed when new and belaying but when you get used to them they are fine (double check your belay device there or there about’s suits the rope diameter, my Petzl Reverso suggests 7.1mm half’s are the lower limit). My regular partners are used to them but I have had some funny looks when I take them out my boot! Lots of care needed on edges. I’ve had mine for 2 years now, and still going strong. Light isn’t always sh**e! 

Post edited at 11:34
 Jamie Wakeham 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

You beat me to it - I have been equally impressed by my Edelrid Apus. They're holding up surprisingly well for such a thin rope, though I do of course take care of them.

They are bloody stretchy though. I fell off a move whilst seconding, probably 20m below the belay, and was a bit shocked at quite how far down I ended up!

Mark Kemball 28 Nov 2022
In reply to oldie:

A quick google, it seems you’re right. I bought my bugette some time ago now.

Toerag 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

What rocktype are you using them on?  The rock here is so aggressive I won't go thinner than 8.5s, longevity is generally proportional to diameter.  Also, I find abbing on skinny ropes hard and dangerous, especially with a relatively slick belay device.

deacondeacon 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Oscar Dodd:

> Lookng at the Fixie Zen full dry, can get the pair for £150. Tempted by the rumbas too...

Where is this deal? 😉

OP Oscar Dodd 29 Nov 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

Rock and run, went for them in the end. Price was too good - even if I only get a year or so out of them it's still money well spent for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...