UKC

Blocked IP re. 'too much traffic'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 28 Nov 2022

I generally use Startpage on my kindle when I search for a web page. I have for a few years now. For the first time I was blocked by Startpage as it detected too much traffic from my IP address and it thought I might be a bot. A quick 'Recapcha' sorted it out but I am curious as to what the extra traffic was? I did a Google search at the same time to see if they detected anything but it worked fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Luke90 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

On most ISPs, you don't have your own unique IP address, so it's likely that the block was triggered by another user on the same address.

OP Slackboot 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Luke90:

Ah! Ok thank you.

morpcat 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

For the technical details, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Rob Parsons 28 Nov 2022
In reply to morpcat:

It's a good argument for ISPs to roll out IPv6 universally. All modern OSes have long been fully IPv6-aware.

Mick r 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

surprised, I thought most carriers used sticky IP's these days. I've had the same public IP for ages. Also, the website wouldn't have access to all the other traffic from the IP, only traffic directed towards itself, so the suggestion is that the person who had the Public IP before sent a load of data to this specific service, then you picked up the IP and happened to use the very same website?  

Mick

Rob Parsons 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Mick r:

> surprised, I thought most carriers used sticky IP's these days. I've had the same public IP for ages. Also, the website wouldn't have access to all the other traffic from the IP, only traffic directed towards itself, so the suggestion is that the person who had the Public IP before sent a load of data to this specific service, then you picked up the IP and happened to use the very same website?  

No. The point is that the deployment of so-called 'carrier-grade NAT' means that many different people can be simultaneously using the same external IPv4 address. (The end result is analogous to multiple devices within one household simultaneously using the same external IPv4 address, via conventional NAT.)

Luke90 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Mick r:

Also, a lot of websites use services like Cloudflare these days, which serve some of their traffic for them and also protect against things like DOS attacks. In that case, traffic to other sites might still trigger alerts and checks on this one. No idea whether the specific site in question does use such a thing. But it's not uncommon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...