UKC

Access to Allt 'a Mhuillinn from the distillery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doughobbs 05 Dec 2022

Just curious - anyone know if this path is public accessible through the distillery? looking at the various OS maps the 1:25 shows a path stopping at the distillery and the 'standard' map on the OS maps site shows a path going nearly to the road.

I've drawn a red line just above the path(s) on the map screenshots

Fredt 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

On the OS maps app, there is a 'Country Walking Magazine' route, called "The North Face of Ben Nevis, Highland" which, from the road, goes through the distillery on that path.

jasonC abroad 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Certainly used to be accessible, I used a few times both going and coming back but a long time ago.

Martin Bennett 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

That was a usual approach way back when we used to creep into a warehouse building at the distillery and doss for an early start next day, but I'm talking about 40 years ago and more. It still shows on footpathmap.co.uk 

r0b 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Open Streetmap suggests there is a way through

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/56.83481/-5.07241

abr1966 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

Yep that's the old way before the north face carpark....the alternative was further along the road and over the golf course. It's still possible but probably not as clear as it used to be...

DaveHK 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

It's a while ago but I think there's a little path that goes round the outside of the distillery buildings to their north that you can take to avoid any hassle going through the distillery. It's beside the burn on its south side.

Michael Hood 05 Dec 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Surely you want to go slowly through the distillery on the way back 😁

hutchymh 05 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

There is a path there however its pretty poor, it joins onto the vehicle track next to the smelter so you'd be better (and quicker with easier parking) starting from just over the railway bridge from the new industrial estate roundabout.

Rich W Parker 06 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

There is a path but it’s unbelievably boggy. If heading up from the NF car park is going to be difficult (it could get very busy this winter - due to forestry operations and the closure of the upper ‘guides’ car park) you can park in the North Road retail area and walk past the smelter up steep gravel roads to the Allt a Mhuilinn intake. 

Yanchik 07 Dec 2022
In reply to doughobbs:

I walked that path in July this year with my son. We came out through the distillery with no problem at all. I can't remember what the boundary looked like, but it was easier than many public footpaths down here in Staffs where landowners are trying to pretend there isn't a right of way. 

It was boggy - some sections of path through a little watermeadowy area with duckboards. On the wrong day it would be a proper PITA to get through. 

Once at the distillery the aroma was .... magnificent ! 

Y

Nathan Adam 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Potentially less hassle to go up from the Visitor Centre/Achintee than via the Smelter, especially if climbing with a bag on. Be intrigued to see how busy the hill gets this year with the top car park being off limits now. 

Before I could drive or climbed with people who did, I used to walk from town up by the Smelter and all the way back home again. I didn’t do it too many times before I realised it was a massive pain and is only of use for desperate students! 

Rich W Parker 09 Dec 2022
In reply to Nathan Adam:

Smelter is longer but less ascent. If I were heading for the wee Brenva face I actually might consider parking at Steall, short but brutal!

OP doughobbs 21 Dec 2022

I've thought that also!

OP doughobbs 21 Dec 2022

Many thanks for this info - yes that's a concern I had given what is going on with NF carpark area at the moment (also curious about other/the old ways up t'hill!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...