UKC

Hammock / Tent Hybrid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mbd 05 Dec 2022

I do a fair bit of wild camping, both with a backpack and with my bicycle. I generally look at maps to determine whether to take a tent or a hammock. However, I have been looking for a viable hybrid for a while now, but none seem to be great choices (Crua, DD, Nightcat etc). So, what I was wondering is: Has anybody else tried successfully to solve this problem?

A couple of key criteria:

- Total weight no more than about 3kg (ie. ultralight is not a requirement; British weather and my comfort matter more to me than saving every gram)

- Hammock must have a bug net

- Requires waterproof ground sheet like a tent

- Needs to be able to be erected without a tree nearby and have the flysheet supported, much like a regular tent

I'd appreciate anybody's input on this. I have a few ideas but before I start to part with cash I am hoping someone has already had a genius solution to the problem. I have no problem blending various bits together. I have a sewing machine and debatable sewing skills. Looking forward to hearing any words of wisdom...

photonician 06 Dec 2022
In reply to mbd:

as someone who has camped a fair bit with a hammock & tarp and in a tent, all I can think is that a hybrid hammock-tent is gonna end up having all the flaws of either shelter and not many benefits. I think the DD Travel hammock can be used as a bivi (having a waterproof bottom layer of fabric) but it is apparently an absolute sweatbox in use, having serious condensation issues and apparenly is a bit flawed when used as a hammock too. 

Have you considered getting a dedicated bivvy bag and trying out some different tarp setups instead when you want to camp sans-hammock? There's various ways to string up tarps using a bike instead of poles, or pitching it so you have some of the tarp acting as a groundsheet: alpkit do a nice summary here... https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/be-tarpsmart . You can also use the bivvy over your sleeping bag in the hammock to add a few degrees warmth.

Something like an Alpkit Hunka only weighs 500ish grams, and lighter (but more spendy) options are available too.  

Post edited at 13:44
OP mbd 06 Dec 2022
In reply to photonician:

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that there is a very real risk of making too many compromises and getting the worst of both worlds. But that also doesnt mean it is impossible. I agree with you that the current offerings just dont solve the problem satisfactorily. I like my hammock and I like my tent. Why cant they be combined? My hammock is essentially a bivi bag without the warmth/waterproofing but that is the job of the tarp. I've ordered some tent poles so I'll have a go with a couple of configuration ideas to use my hammock as a tent. If you like I'll share my findings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...