UKC

Moving fence with / without planning permission

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Durbs 06 Dec 2022

There seem to be a fair few experts on planning so thought I'd ask here

Basically, there's a patch of our front "garden" which is nothing but an annoying patch of lawn which needs mowing and never gets used. 

It abuts our drive which is higher and sloping - probably 1.5m where it joins the garage, 50cm where it ends.

My idea is to bring the current side-gate/fence forward, from parallel to the house, to just short of the (unadopted) road. We can then put the trampoline there - freeing up space in the back-garden, and actually putting that patch of front garden to use.

On the below link, removing the yellow line, and putting in the red one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWiLrP4Y_cjtn5uqiGi1IlZY833cxShS/view?usp=... 

Does this need planning permission? 

Ridge 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

Unless there are any restrictions on your property regarding what you can and can't do, (common on newer properties that don't let you fence 'open plan' gardens etc), as long as it's entirely on your property, doesn't affect the boundary, doesn't obstruct traffic visibility and isn't excessively high I don't see why you'd need planning permission.

Might be worth talking to the neighbours first though.

Godwin 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/fences-gates-an...

Possibly/ probably.

Do not piss of your neighbours.
I would sound out the your neighbours, if they are not bothered, just do it, if the council are that fussed, they will tell you.
Getting planning is a right old faff, as they will want scale drawings and money. I recently did it, but knew I would be selling the house within a few months, and did not want any hassle.

OP Durbs 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

Sorry yes, forgot to add - have mentioned to the neighbours and they don't care

Snyggapa 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

I'd just do it. Worst that will happen is that you have to put it back, but if no-one cares then I would consider this very unlikely

-edit- my reading of the planning portal link above is that you can just do it anyhow, unless you are in a conservation area. In which case I would still probably just do it..

Post edited at 11:38
 hang_about 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

Freehold or leasehold? Our house is leasehold and it has a set of restrictions over what can, and cannot, be done (including a ban on keeping chickens!).

jkarran 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

Assuming the neighbours are relaxed I'd just do it given the worst that can happen is you'll eventually have to put it back how it was.

jk

Richard Horn 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Ridge:

I looked into this for my old house, if a fence is on your road boundary, or a side boundary that comes close to your front boundary (cant remember the exact distance), then you are limited I think to a 1m high fence, a 2m high fence needed planning permission. Ironically you can grow a 2m high hedge without planning though... 

elsewhere 06 Dec 2022
In reply to hang_about:

> Freehold or leasehold? Our house is leasehold and it has a set of restrictions over what can, and cannot, be done (including a ban on keeping chickens!).

When I had a Victorian tenement in Glasgow, I was forbidden from giving piano lessons or having a brewery, distillery, steam engine, air engine, boiling whale blubber and singeing muslin. Plus a lot of other Victorian industrial processes.

I still have no idea why singeing muslin was a thing back then.

Post edited at 13:58
OP Durbs 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Richard Horn:

>  Ironically you can grow a 2m high hedge without planning though... 

Yeah, I'd spotted this odd loophole - sadly I'd want more security with access to the back garden and/or kids escaping* on to the road than a hedge can provide. 

*My kids I hasten to add.

hang_about 06 Dec 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I just Googled singeing muslin - apparently used in yarn production. Google seemed to think I was after single Muslims though.....

The chicken ban was because, during the war, there were hundreds of chickens on the site. I think people got clucked off.

Dax H 06 Dec 2022
In reply to hang_about:

Our old house was a freehold but there were still covenants in the deeds that were writtedin 1890.

It was a back to back mid terrace with a small front yard, we had to maintain a dwarf wall with iron railings on top, couldn't keep cattle or pigs in the 15 foot by 6 foot yard, couldn't turn the house in to a brewery and my personal favourite, couldn't turn it in to a pox clinic. 

Ridge 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Friends have moved into a property where they are forbidden to store Bull semen.

Big Steve 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Im not allowed to have prostitutes or brew strong liquor in my house on the Wirral

Wingnut 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

I'm not allowed to perform sales by auction (maybe best to keep quiet about my ebay acount), must not expose any clothing or other articles in or upon the building (time to embrace naturism, then), and I must place rubber insulators under all pianos.

I am also not allowed to do anything that would "affect the reputation of the building as a high-class block of residential flats". The only thing that could possibly make this building more of a semi-derelict dump than it already is would involve a bulldozer ....

Ridge 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Big Steve:

> Im not allowed to have prostitutes or brew strong liquor in my house on the Wirral

I'm not allowed prostitutes in the house either, but that's nothing to do with covenants in the deeds.

In reply to Wingnut:

> must not expose any clothing or other articles in or upon the building

You don't seem to adhere to this...

In reply to hang_about:

Don't Google miniature pianist then!

Wingnut 08 Dec 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

I don't have lots of rubber-insulated pianos either ...

jkarran 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Our old house was a freehold but there were still covenants in the deeds that were writtedin 1890.

My late 20s terrace is similar: From memory, specific types of livestock banned, no planform changes to the front, no billboards/signs, no brewing, no bottle shop. I think there were a couple more too. Interesting to see what issues concerned (presumably) the council (as landowner and approver) at the time.

jk

Ben Callard 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Durbs:

I'm aware of a recent case where a fence was put up at the end of a front garden in an area where the front gardens were all open/low fences and they were asked to take it down by the council. It's definitely worth checking.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...