UKC

Christmas Quiz???!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Parsons 13 Dec 2022

Do we have one [a quiz] yet? As a grumpy sociopath I struggle with Christmasy things - Christmassy? - but this is about climbing, so it's different. I suggest something along the lines of MP's long-running 'Spot the Climb' competition - or whatever it's called - whereby the successful guesser supplies the next image; but easier! Here the smug and correct respondent only has to come up with a new question, rather than a photograph - great news for those of us whose climbing history is still only recorded in slide form! I'll start:

Which well-known Manchester climber - I'm guessing at Manchester specifically, but thereabouts - was 'eaten' by his portaledge on 'The Trip'?

Clues will eventually become available if required, but only after a lot of hard cash into MR boxes. [You're a trustworthy bunch, so don't let me down!]

Ian P

Post edited at 02:19
 Wimlands 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

A wild guess to get us going. Pete Boardman?

OP Ian Parsons 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

No. Sadly, when Pete and Joe died in 1982 portaledges were still somewhat in the future. There were certainly prototypes around and I think that Mike Graham's Cliff Dwelling was commercially available - albeit to order and with a waiting list - but for most people hammocks were still the order of the day. Good guess, though.

Having said all that; the event in question actually occurred in 1980 - but the offending item was most definitely homemade!

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Black Nick?

In reply to Neil Foster:

'Morning Neil. No.

Hmm. Two guesses; this is going better than I expected! Perhaps I should have called it Easter Quiz. Time for a clue, perhaps.

In case anybody hasn't worked out where one would have been most likely to encounter any sort of portaledge in 1980 the location is Yosemite Valley. 'The Trip', much like 'The Corner' and 'The Gates', is a familiar abbreviation of the route's full name - and in this instance might be said to be the same colour as a recent ex-president. While clearly reasonably fine standing in aiders or hanging in a harness, when on level ground our hero's progress at the time required the assistance of crutches.

Edit: Probably should have mentioned El Cap, although that's clearly the most likely venue.

Post edited at 16:08
 Steve Clegg 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Strappo?

In reply to Steve Clegg:

Hi Steve. No. I'm starting to think that this might be too obscure. Do you know which route it is?

Steve Clegg 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

TT?

In reply to Ian Parsons:

Yes, the route was/is obvious, but I think you might have pitched your opening question at a level unreachable by this audience…

🙂

Steve Clegg 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Neil Foster:

No sh*t Sherlock! Who’d have thunk it??

In reply to Neil Foster:

Yes; Steve's correct. I'd whittled the choice of questions down to this one or "How hard is Three Pebble Slab" - and went with the easier option! Or so I thought.

john arran 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Neil Foster:

> I think you might have pitched your opening question at a level unreachable by this audience…

You're a diplomat, Neil!

bouldery bits 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Charlton Chestwig.

In reply to bouldery bits:

I thought he was from Yorkshire!

Ok - another clue. He shares a surname with another well known climber from the same region.

In reply to Ian Parsons:

Hank…. 🤔

In reply to Neil Foster:

No; both roughly the same generation but, as far as I'm aware, unrelated.

Steve Clegg 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Evans?

In reply to Steve Clegg:

Rice Kemper….?

In reply to Steve Clegg:

> Evans?

No, Steve - but he made the second ascent of what was probably one of Al's hardest routes.

And "no" to Neil.

Post edited at 20:13
 jon 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> No, Steve - but he made the second ascent of what was probably one of Al's hardest routes.

Well Al seconded Jim Moran on the FA of Barbarossa... is that what you mean ?

In reply to jon:

No; I mean FAs that Al led. And it's not that one near Test Case.

Misha 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Brian Hall?

OP Ian Parsons 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Misha:

No.

I notice that the other "well known climber from the same region" with the same surname has climbed with at least one of the current respondents to this thread!

Looks like it might be clue time again. Pursuing the 'namesake' angle: that person also happens to share a first name with one of the posters on this thread.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

What, 'Wilder'....?

Post edited at 11:32
In reply to Neil Foster:

Wilder? I was absolutely livider!

craig h 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I do love a cryptic Parsnips quiz

Hope you are keeping well? And will put my thinking cap on.

In reply to craig h:

Hah; Mr Biceps! Good to hear from you, and welcome aboard.

It didn't start out cryptic but is possibly heading that way. [Caveat: I should probably look up 'cryptic' to see what it actually means.] I just assumed that there would be a few people out there who knew the story. Perhaps somebody should give Steve Monks a call; he was leading the next pitch at the time [#5 in old topos, I think]. Apparently looked down to see a red, thrashing mass after the ledge had done a venus flytrap impression and engulfed its occupant.

David Alcock 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Well, pseudonyms aside, first name is Ian or Steve. 

David Alcock 15 Dec 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

Or John or Neil. Sorry John and Neil, it's late, but such a beautiful night. 

Post edited at 05:06
OP Ian Parsons 15 Dec 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

Correct. This is the other climber with the same surname, of course - not the actual 'portaledge fodder'.

Having bailed following the ledge incident our hero returned to the route a few days later - with another climber from the South West, Steve having returned home - and completed what I'm fairly sure was the first British ascent.

Fellover 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Rowland Perriment

In reply to Fellover:

Very close. Perriment was from the South West, not Manchester.

Fellover 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Dennis Carr?

In reply to Fellover:

We have a winner! With much relief I can now pass the baton; I'm sure you'll be better at choosing a reasonable question than I was!

Fellover 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Oh dear I didn't realise that winning meant I'd have to do the next one! That was definitely a really hard one, normally I back myself to get Yosemite based trivia, but I only solved this one by finding an old UKC thread where you had posted the answer back in 2014, with the promise of an interesting story about it, glad it finally came out!

Fellover 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Fellover:

A slightly easier one then: Which Australian climber made the second (reported) ascent of the Stanage girdle traverse along with Pete Whittaker?

john arran 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Ben Cossey, I believe.

In reply to Fellover:

> with the promise of an interesting story about it,

Hah, yes; I'd forgotten that I referred obliquely to it back then.

It started with Steve Monks. He'd had a good season out there - notably soloing a route on The Diamond on Long's Peak [Casual Route, I think - but not that common 42 years ago], putting up what was back then a hardish new route [Auntie Gravity 5.11d] in Yosemite's Lower Falls area, and making what was possibly the fastest solo at the time of Half Dome's Regular NWF. An El Cap nailing wall would obviously be the topping on the cake. To this end he recruited a well known climber from Liverpool [hah - another excellent quiz question there!] and set off up Tangerine Trip.

For whatever reason this first attempt ground to a halt very quickly and Monksie was soon prowling Camp 4 in search of another victim. Dennis had been hobbling around for some time, unable to climb, while an ankle injury took much longer to heal than expected. Steve pounced. While free climbing wasn't an option this didn't matter on The Trip; there pretty much isn't any. Steve was able to persuade Dennis - who was possibly quite amenable anyway - that standing in aiders for a few days wouldn't be a problem and off they went.

At some point somebody in Camp 4 had been selling a homemade double portaledge, which Steve had bought. Rather than steel or aluminium, the frame consisted of some sort of large-diameter fibrous tubing. As far as I'm aware Dennis was recumbent on the ledge at the hanging belay at the end of the route's original fourth pitch - a long, descending rightwards traverse beneath a prominent diagonal roof - belaying Steve as he nailed the  following immaculate pitch that diagonals back up left above the roof; one of the frame poles 'popped', others followed suit, and our man found himself abruptly cocooned in red nylon. At which point the attempt ended.

Steve left Yosemite shortly thereafter - but Dennis's appetite had clearly been whetted by the discovery that he could actually climb despite the ankle. The very experienced Rowland Perriment showed up around then; they teamed up and topped out a few days later. As I mentioned earlier I think that this was almost certainly the first British ascent.

I've just heard that in the following years Steve actually went back on the route solo - presumably successfully. Later, in October 1994, it was soloed by an American whose name, if I recall, was Dave. At the time I think it was thought that this was probably the first solo ascent; possibly not, then.

Post edited at 17:42
 Fellover 15 Dec 2022
In reply to john arran:

Yep, spot on. Your turn now!

john arran 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Fellover:

> Yep, spot on. Your turn now!

Ok, one from personal experience.

Which well-known British climber's unfortunate mishap led to my being invited, by the late José Luis Pereira, to attempt the first free ascent of the south-east Face of Cerro Autana in Venezuela?

Edshakey 15 Dec 2022
In reply to john arran:

Leo Houlding?

john arran 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

> Leo Houlding?

Got it in one. Leo had smashed his ankle up in Patagonia only a month or two beforehand, when I found myself in Caracas (with Anne), having returned from our first abortive attempt on Angel Falls and with time on our hands.

Turned out to rather fortuitous, as I'd known José Luis from time in the US 15 years earlier, and the Autana climb ended up being among the most fun, and hardest, big wall adventures I've ever done.

Was awful when I heard that José Luis had died later that same year 😢.

Over to you now ...

Edshakey 16 Dec 2022
In reply to john arran:

Rather fortuitous indeed!

Alright then, this shouldn't take too long:

What route did Niall Grimes bail off while being belayed by Olympian Kelly Holmes?

Edshakey 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

Right crag, wrong route...

jon 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

> Right crag, wrong route...

That's narrowed it down a bit, then

OP Ian Parsons 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

Presumably this was the occasion - just in case anybody hasn't found it yet:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/dame_kelly_holmes_rises_to_the_bmcs_c...

Doesn't seem to offer any clues - except that it might be somewhere near The Coign. Fortunately I have no idea!

Edshakey 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I think I probably was (although that's not where I got it from so can't be 100% sure). It was on a podcast where he describes it, in an intro to reading a story about a trip to Greece...

Sean Kelly 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> We have a winner! With much relief I can now pass the baton; I'm sure you'll be better at choosing a reasonable question than I was!

Dennis Carr the'brickie'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...