UKC

Switching energy provider

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jkarran 13 Dec 2022

If I can find a cheaper provider to switch to who'll actually take me on (from an offensively expensive 65p Elec, 17p Gas tariff, Good Energy) is there any downside?

I see some sites (eg Octopus) saying don't switch, hinting I think I may lose the government price cap protection (or the handout?), which seems not to be applied to my existing tariff anyway. I can't find clear information on this.

Others like Ovo appear to still be taking new customers at the capped rate 34p/10p or at least their switching pages are still up and taking data, I haven't actually clicked send yet. Anyone switched to Ovo recently, good, bad, do your smart meters still work properly?

Any other suggestions for a better rate and available renewable deal? I have an EV but charge it at work currently, most of our electric usage is daytime: laundry, cooking and unfortunately some ohmic heating needed this winter as we'll have a newborn by xmas all being well.

Baffled, jk

Post edited at 13:17
 S Ramsay 13 Dec 2022
In reply to jkarran:

Why are you paying more than 34p/10p at the moment anyway? Are you not on a standard domestic tariff which should be capped? I would change to a capped tariff if possible but the fact that you're not currently on one suggests that it might not be possible

OP jkarran 13 Dec 2022
In reply to S Ramsay:

I have no idea! I've emailed to find out and to ask that, I'll see what comes back.

I'd clocked the difference and sort of assumed without thinking too hard it was a case of having/showing the nominal rate (meter/account details) but actually charging the capped rate but that doesn't really make sense and I don't think it's what's happening. It's a fully renewable/offset tariff so I guess maybe has an exemption from the cap except Ovo's very similar offer appears to be capped at 34/10p. I haven't knowingly opted out of a capped tariff, if I have done so it's through misunderstanding or misclicking something.

It's something I've had no interest in until recently, we use very little so the unit cost being a little high was irrelevant to me but now that it is *way* out of step with the norm and our usage is about to go up so it is time to understand and address the problem.

jk

Post edited at 15:09
In reply to jkarran:

What are you daily standing charges?

Utility Warehouse are on this as standard and possibly cheaper if you use them for other services as well.  Can anyone beat that for a variable tariff?

Electric standing charge 41.06 pence
kWh 35.31 pence

Gas standing charge 26.64 pence
kWh 10.29 pence

OP jkarran 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

> What are you daily standing charges?

54p Elec, 33p Gas.

> Utility Warehouse are on this as standard and possibly cheaper if you use them for other services as well.  Can anyone beat that for a variable tariff?

Never heard of UW before but will have a look, thanks.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

Octopus were saying not to switch, as far as I know, as all those on the default tariff of their provider that have the energy price cap applied will not get a cheaper price from anybody else including them. They also have just taken on Bulb customers and that will be a lot of work for them so I’m guessing may have contributed to their web site statement that used to be shown.

If you are on the default tariff and getting the energy cap rate it’s a personal choice if you switch. If you should be getting the cap rate from them and are not, you should complain, and that may prevent a switch or delay switching. 

I’m with Octopus and as far as I’m aware they will take on customers now. I know earlier in the year they were not.

There are of course some that are not protected with the energy price guarantee*. If you are one of those, you should be switching - if your thinking is purely on financial thinking - (assuming your T&Cs permit it) and accept there maybe the usual problems/glitches of switching, and there maybe additional problems with subsidy allocation or whatever (I have no idea about this and how it works).

* The price cap does not apply if:
You’re on a fixed-term energy tariff (ie a tariff with a fixed end date).
Your tariff is exempt from the price cap, for example, some green and special time of use tariffs. 
(Source: Energy Saving Trust).

I glanced at the GE tariffs and their variable (default) tariff does seem to show the tariff rate after discounts are applied which appear around the typical capped 34p / 10p rates. Check what tariff you are actually on and what discounts and subsidy you are getting before deciding on switching merits.

OP jkarran 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks, I have written to them for clarity. Will switch to a capped tariff if GE can't sort me out. 

Jk

Michael Hood 14 Dec 2022
In reply to jkarran:

When the price guarantee came in, I believe providers had to allow free switching from any fixed price tariff to a standard variable "capped" tariff.

I don't know if the "free" bit was time limited, in which case you might have missed it.

OP jkarran 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

Well they got back to me. Apparently they have an exemption from the price cap in order not to damage their ongoing renewable investments. I've never minded paying a small premium for a renewable contract but it appears there are very similar tariffs available elsewhere which are capped and twice the going rate feels like taking the micky as opposed to a small premium.

Edit: their rates are getting capped from Jan 1st. Good news apparently!

jk

Post edited at 17:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...