UKC

Dearth of public comments in Logbooks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 16 Dec 2022

Has there been a change to the default settings on personal logbooks? I'm used to reading folks' anonymised route comments as they show up in the Winter Conditions pages  - a useful guide to local conditions on specific routes. This season I haven't seen one comment yet, despite a few significant looking ascents.

Mike-W-99 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

I can see plenty of comments no problem.

There used to be a bug/feature where it would also show comments from folks whose logbooks were hidden.

OP Basemetal 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> I can see plenty of comments no problem.

In this year's water conditions pages? I can see, eg. "3 ascents" etc, but no comment tags.

ConorC 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

If you're using the night mode theme the comments icon is pretty much invisible but is still there.

TobyA 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

My theory is that people don't leave comments on routes when they know they weren't in proper condition! You climb up a stream gully now full of ice bosses and icicles that you can actually swing your tools into an pull on - you leave a comment like "really good fun - more ice than I expected!" You climb up frozen turf and hook rocks next to that stream gully where the water is still flowing, but still claim the winter tick - funnily enough, no comment left. This is why although lots of winter routes were recorded in the Lakes over the week, quite a proportion had no comments on them.

Either that, or they just fear the wrath of Jamie B, late of this parish, and ending up on "The Black Watch" wall of shame (yep, I've been there!)  https://www.facebook.com/groups/637053827195556

Post edited at 15:35
 Mike-W-99 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

Great gully buttress for example. An essay on route finding etc

Tom Briggs 16 Dec 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> My theory is that people don't leave comments on routes when they know they weren't in proper condition!

Or maybe those who were prepared to take a punt and actually go and look, don't want to make it easy for everyone else?!

OP Basemetal 16 Dec 2022
In reply to ConorC:

> If you're using the night mode theme the comments icon is pretty much invisible but is still there.

SORTED! That was it... now I can see the icons. Thanks Conor!

I thought the icons were white last year.... no? I've lived in Night Mode since t became available.

TobyA 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Both are possible but I'm still putting my money on more of the first option. ;⁠-⁠)

I did see some pics from Great Gable and that looked really good.

Rob Jarratt 16 Dec 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Not everyone does that . A couple of years ago I did Wilderness Gully 1 after a dusting of snow, but I ticked it as a summer ascent, even though it was late December, because really it was just a wet scramble with snow on the rocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...