UKC

Alders approach on skis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 28 Dec 2022

I'm thinking of heading up that way for a peaceful New Year and was wondering if it's worth taking skis for the approach, given the snowy forecast on the 30th? I'm guessing that the estate will clear the access road in short order and that it'll still be a trudge on foot until past the estate at the very least, and possibly a complete waste of time and weight?

Doug 28 Dec 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Can't help with current conditions but many years ago I skied into Ben Alder from the Roybridge/Laggan road starting by the usual route into Binnean Shuas (Ardverikie Wall etc), then via Loch a Bealach Leamhaim & Culra bothy (which was then open). Maybe longer but less likely to be used by estate vehicles.

OwenM 28 Dec 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

I skied from Corrour over Ben Alder and out to Dalwhinne years ago. Managed to ski nearly all the way, no road clearing in those day they just drove over it in their big 4X4's. I've not been up that way for a while but I doubt the snow will be that low, what there is is mostly cosmetic. If you look at the photo's from the ski centres they have a strip of artificial snow surrounded by heather at the moment.  

OP tehmarks 28 Dec 2022
In reply to OwenM:

I was hoping that the 30th might bring something useful. That's now the backup plan I think anyway; about ten minutes after I posted I decided I fancied the idea of heading down the Lairig Ghru and up the NE ridge of Sgor an Lochaine Uaine and in a big loop back over Ben Macdui instead. Will put the skis in the car and judge accordingly when I step out of it!

In reply to tehmarks:

There has been lying snow to road level at Drumochter/Dalwhinnie for the past 3 days.  

OP tehmarks 28 Dec 2022
In reply to Doug:

That looks like a nice option with the advantage of being novel to me; thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...