UKC

Blue Mountains, NSW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jay83 29 Dec 2022

I'm in Sydney 1st, 2nd and 3rd February.

I'm on my own. I climb sports at about 5c-6a ie up to 18-19 Australian.

Given the shortness of my stay and the time of year is it worth going to the Blue Mountains for a day's climbing? If so,

Best crags for my grade and shade?

How to get there?

How to find a partner or guide?

I have read the very useful UKC Destination Guide from 2016. Any information would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Tobes 29 Dec 2022
In reply to Jay83:

perhaps take the gamble and see if you can find some folk at the cafes in Blackheath. Does mean committing to going up there without a partner but I managed this once a long time ago. Campsite in Blackheath also so you could stay/check if there’s any climbers there also? Otherwise Sydney climbing walls and the outdoor shops might have notices up? 

one time I just went to a crag with my gear and joined a group (they had odd numbers so were keen) - again that’s quite a gamble if you don’t run into anyone! 

good luck!

Post edited at 17:26
 aostaman 29 Dec 2022
In reply to Tobes:

There are a number of Sydney Facebook forums, people will usually respond. It's still a month away and the real issue is probably rain. They've had a lot this year (and pouring today). The Blueys get even more. I assume you have a car, otherwise it could be very difficult. 

Damo 30 Dec 2022
In reply to Jay83:

This is the main forum, it's quite active and visitors are always posting for partners:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcibm 

It has been a very wet and cool spring/summer but it's starting to dry out and most places are fine now. Just one day is a bit of a gamble though.

You can get a train from Central in Sydney to Katoomba, Blackheath and Mt Victoria, the three main towns for climbing. Beyond Mt Vic the line has been disrupted lately. Some crags can be walked to from the train station but most you need a car.

For those grades, Mt York, Mt Boyce and the Sunbath area near Medlow Bath. Upper Shipley might also be OK and is one of most popular crags in the mountains.

Note that in the Blueys, as in all east coast Australia, many campsites are busy/full nowadays so take into account if you need to do that.

Tobes 30 Dec 2022
In reply to aostaman:

no, I didn’t have a car at the time, I’d take the train up and stay/camp in Blackheath and usually found someone to climb with. I was just visiting the area, I don’t live in Australia. This was a number of years ago btw (early days of fb groups so that wasn’t a resource I used/needed, just the old fashioned method of rocking up and using my Essex charm (!) ; )

Jim Climber 30 Dec 2022
In reply to Jay83:

I used to live in the city and took the train to Katoomba, fairly straight-forward.

I booked a guide from Australian School of Mountaineering, they are based on Katoomba Street (about a 5-10 min slow walk from the train station) http://climbingadventures.com.au/ 

I think they have plenty of independent guides that they use. I roped up with one to climb Sweet Dreams ( https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/sublime_point-9294/sweet_dreams-10... ). Easy climb but ultra-classic, fun day out.

If your stuck for a climbing partner, I would recommend using them.

You can do the commute & climb in a day, but it's worth booking a night in a local hotel and take in the local area.

Katoomba is a nice town to walk around, very laid back. It's about a 30 min walk to Three Sisters, which is a worthy tourist/indigenous attraction.

Hope this helps, PM if you need any more info

OP Jay83 30 Dec 2022
In reply to Jay83:

Thanks everyone- really helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...