UKC

Gary McKee - Marathon Man 365

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 awsomal 31 Dec 2022

Gary McKee has just completed his 365th Marathon of the year.

One Man,One Year,One Outstanding Achievement.

In reply to awsomal:

Amazing thing is how little this has been reported given the work put in

Nice to see  a drop of 50K on this page

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/threesixfive

Wimlands 31 Dec 2022
In reply to awsomal:

To think I ducked out of going for a run today because it was very wet…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64134196

unbelievable achievement 

artif 01 Jan 2023
In reply to awsomal:

What amazes me, is he did it while keeping his day job. Most of these endeavours are the full time occupation.

Not to mention we're a similar age and I didn't want to take the dog for a walk in the rain yesterday. 

Post edited at 17:04
 nathan79 01 Jan 2023
In reply to Name Changed 34:

There was a reports back in the summer about two female runners breaking a record for consecutive marathons. At that point I was following Gary McKee on Strava, he was already ahead of them but not even a whisper of his name in anything I read. Really puzzled me.

An astonishing achievement I can't comprehend. As artif says the fact he did it alongside a full-time job is amazing.

mountainbagger 01 Jan 2023
In reply to artif:

> What amazes me, is he did it while keeping his day job.

Yes! I went for a slightly shorter run today but the whole day was spent psyching myself up, preparing soft flasks, snacks, picking a route, hydrating, procrastinating, the run itself (about 3 hours), then uploading to Strava, staring at all the stats on Strava, looking at other people's runs on Strava, stretching, refuelling, showering, cleaning my very muddy shoes, cleaning the flasks out and hanging my wet clothes up. Phew! I'm knackered! Day off tomorrow 😊

gld73 01 Jan 2023
In reply to nathan79:

Been back down in Whitehaven a lot over the last year for family reasons and the weekly local Whitehaven News always had updates on how he was doing. Coincided a couple of my walks to cheer him on when I knew his route and donated half way through the year when I thought his achievement was already pretty amazing. You're right though, not really anything in the national press over the last year, so very glad to see he got the recognition he deserved on the last day of his epic year. Certainly spurred me into donating again last night! How he managed to avoid injury when putting his body through that I'll never know, never mind how he managed to motivate himself to go out for that distance every single day in west Cumbrian weather...!

ro8x 01 Jan 2023
In reply to awsomal:

Very impressive and he’s clearly harder than a coffin nail! 

Wimlands 01 Jan 2023
In reply to gld73:

No doubt about it …if the sh!t hits the fan and you need someone beside you you’re going to hope it’s Gary McKee

artif 02 Jan 2023
In reply to nathan79:

I guess the lack of reporting might be due to the bruised egos

Its going to be pretty tough to beat and puts all the other charity marathon runners under a bit of pressure to do better. 

wbo2 02 Jan 2023
In reply to artif:

> Its going to be pretty tough to beat and puts all the other runners under a bit of pressure to do better. 

Tom Briggs 02 Jan 2023
In reply to awsomal:

It’s not even like he was running a flat course each day. The overall elevation for the year was over 100,000m. Bonkers. Love the fact that he seemed to be out the door every day at 8am. Apart from in the summer when it was really hot and he started at 7am. Total monster!

Dr.S at work 02 Jan 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

> No doubt about it …if the sh!t hits the fan and you need someone beside you you’re going to hope it’s Gary McKee

What does he actually do at the plant? Security or a Homer Simpson type role?

GDes 02 Jan 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I'm not sure exactly, but a friend of mine knows him and said that on a few occasions, due to shift patterns, he did an evening marathon one day, and a morning one the next. Two marathons in 16 hours. 

Phil1919 02 Jan 2023
In reply to awsomal:

Do we know anything about the times he was able to do?

mountainbagger 02 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil1919:

> Do we know anything about the times he was able to do?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1740339

All the marathons are logged on Strava. Haven't looked through all them (!) but between 4:15 and 4:30 seems the norm for the recent ones.

Edit: a few earlier ones were under 4 hours. Now and then a few were around 5 hours. As it's so hard doing one every day I imagine he had to adjust the pace to settle on something sustainable. I.e. going sub 4 every day wasn't going to work.

Edit again: although looks like more than half were sub 4, so really impressive and not a flat route either!

Post edited at 21:50
 Phil1919 03 Jan 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

Ah thanks. Yes impressive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...