UKC

Open street map app?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 03 Jan 2023

Does an app count as gear?

Having had to upgrade my phone my viewranger app no longer works.

I've looked at OA and various options suggested on previous threads, but they're not great.

I don't want routes, I don't want to make friends, I would just like to see some open source mapping data on my phone. I'd rather not pay for what can see for free through a browser anyway.

I still regret the passing of GPSies+

Any ideas?

Ta

GTE

Post edited at 14:05
 elliot.baker 03 Jan 2023
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Organic Maps - exactly what you are after . (at least for iPhone it's all I've found).

You can download as much as you want before hand, but can't import or export GPX files from what I can see. Think you can plan routes if you want to. It's just a very free and very basic mapping app.

For Android, OruxMaps

In reply to elliot.baker:

Basic is right. Ideally I'd like the cycle map layer from the open street map website, 

Hmmm. Considering learning programming to create my own...

Neil Williams 03 Jan 2023

I use OSMAnd (which despite the Android sounding name is also on iPhone).  I don't know if you meant that by OA, but other than it being chargeable annually I don't see much wrong with it.

jimtitt 03 Jan 2023

Locus for something using decent software

In reply to Neil Williams:

Have most of the ones mentioned above installed. Alpinequest (free version) is what I find myself using most. Osmand+ is a clear second, and the paid version is free if you install via fdroid. Orux has a really weird interface that I'm sure is fine if you ride out the learning curve but I didn't. Locus I find flaky and a bit crap. Organic maps is ok but has only very basic features.

r0b 03 Jan 2023

I use Maps.me on Android 

Marek 03 Jan 2023

Locus Map is good in that it gives you total of control over the rendering (you can basically install your own schema).

elsewhere 03 Jan 2023

> Basic is right. Ideally I'd like the cycle map layer from the open street map website, 

OSM Viewer on Android does that for me. There are cycling and walking layers but I don't know if the layers are from the open street map website.

Toerag 03 Jan 2023

Komoot. It has OSM, and open cycle map options.

redscotti 03 Jan 2023

Mapy.cz is perfect for your use. And free.

In reply to redscotti:

Thanks all, I'll look into these 

Ta

GTE

John 04 Jan 2023

+1 Locus.

It has a few different raster's of OSM. 4UMaps is my favorite and it is free to cache for offline use. 

It can add elevation shading to OS also, It looks much better with it. 

Post edited at 12:33
 EdS 04 Jan 2023

Alpinequest worth the pro version. 

My go to abroad. 

Open source maps, you can have point of interest or routes if you want.

It's not over complex and it just works

kylo-342 04 Jan 2023

Iphigénie is good. You can also subscribe to various European mapping services but the open street map is free 

it’s a french app but there are instructions in English

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...