UKC

Which universities have good bouldering crags nearby? (Europe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TFunny 09 Jan 2023

If you know of any unis with easily accessible crags in Europe I'd love to hear.

In reply to TFunny:

if you mean geographical Europe, then Sheffield.

if you mean political Europe, then Paris

Moacs 09 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

INSEAD is in Font

ste_d 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Madrid ain't bad either

Lankyman 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Bolton College is handy for Brownstones

Andy Hardy 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Grenoble? (But just about any biggish town / small city near a mountain range would do, surely?)

HarryJohnston 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Cardiff has a fair bit to go at across S Wales if you have a car

montyjohn 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Just out of interest, are you picking a Uni based on what climbing is nearby?

Remember Uni is a blink of an eye. You will hopefully climb all your life.

TheGeneralist 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Bayreuth is slap bank in the Frankenjura, Erlangen close, and Nuernberg too. Despite having climbed there for 30 years I've never actually bouldered, but it does have a lot in the harder grades especially.

In reply to TFunny:

Leeds isn't bad, almscliff is very accessible, and then you've got caley brimham etc not too far away. 

Arms Cliff 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny: Innsbruck is pretty well located 😄

hang_about 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

You might want to give some idea of the subject matter you wish to study. 

Doug 10 Jan 2023
In reply to hang_about:

University of Stirling  is very close to Wolfcrag Quarry (& Stirling is well placed for climbing in much of Scotland). But much as I enjoyed my time at Stirling I wouldn't recomend it just for the nearby bouldering. What subject(s) are you thinking of studying ?

TobyA 10 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Helsinki Uni or Aalto University (also in Helsinki) - lots of public transport accessible bouldering all with the city itself and then lots more in the immediate environs. The hardest boulder problem in the world about an hour away to the East.

Lankyman 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Bolton College is handy for Brownstones

To my downvoter: are you from Yorkshire?

In reply to TFunny:

Obviously Paris if you want to be close to Font. Paris 14 Orsay has the famous Toit d'Orsay a short walk away if you're aiming for a thesis in hard roof climbing, as well as a very small bouldering site with circuits. But it's not ideally situated for getting to Font, you'd want to be near Gare de Lyon which is where you catch the train to Font, so Jussieu or Paris Diderot. Those are all excellent universities as well. Still, it's a bit of a trip to get to Font from Paris and then from the station to the boulders but with a bike it would be ok. 

Probably the suggestion of Innsbruck is a good one. Or anywhere in the Alps with good train connections. The app ClimbingAway is very good for finding crags in Europe using a map and you can set the filter to show bouldering only. 

In reply to TFunny:

Forgot to mention that in Germany, besides Erlangen/Nürnberg (FAU) in the Frankenjura, there's also granite bouldering in the Odenwald close to Heidelberg, which is one of the prettiest university towns you'll ever see and has an excellent university. A guidebook just came out for the area last year, see here http://www.bouldern-odenwald.de/

Alkis 28 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

I'll have to "yesbut" that one. For a lot of subjects Uni is not easy. Having an escape that you enjoy doing makes things go much more smoothly.

Slackboot 28 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Newcastle or Northumbria I suppose. Particularly if you have a vehicle.

wbo2 28 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:Oslo.  

Godwin 28 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Maybe check out the bouldering at the University of Trollheim, and I do believe that crack climbing under bridges is now rather in vogue, so maybe try that, as I suspect that is a place you are familiar with.

In reply to TFunny:

Bangor

djwilse 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Moacs:

> INSEAD is in Font

Except that it's a Business School rather than a classic Uni, so no under-graduate programmes just Masters or Executive Education courses. 

mbh 29 Jan 2023
In reply to djwilse:

Grenoble has to be up there. There's (highly polished) stuff in town and it's surrounded by crags, escarpments and mountains.

Robert Durran 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Doug:

> University of Stirling  is very close to Wolfcrag Quarry.

Thanks for cheering me up. I laughed out loud at that. 

mutt 31 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Bournemouth uni is close to Swanage via the chain ferry.

Wicamoi 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

>The University of Stirling is very close to Wolfcrag Quarry

> Thanks for cheering me up. I laughed out loud at that. 

How dare you?

Next you'll be calling into question Crieff's claim to be the capital of European bolt-clipping I suppose?

Pekkie 31 Jan 2023
In reply to TFunny:

Liverpool University (and John Moores and Hope) is handy for local sandstone crags such as Pex Hill, Helsby, Frodsham, Harmer's Wood and the Breck (and many smaller local venues), with intriguing technicality and lots of climbing history.  The pioneers such as Kirkus and Menlove Edwards often only had push bikes and public transport!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...