UKC

2 Weeks in South Africa - Sport and Trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richardlake 12 Jan 2023

Thinking about doing a couple of weeks in SA at some point this year. After a look about at areas to visit, it looks like some time around Johannesburg and Cape Town would get you close to a lot of the major areas for trad and sport.

Is it possible, weather wise, to visit both on the same trip and get good enough conditions? 

Also - looks like a 15hr drive between the two cities. Is it ok to drive between them or better to fly? Have seen some stuff regarding safety of driving at night etc.

Thanks for any thoughts

Godwin 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Richardlake:

This is of interest to me, as I have long wished to visit SA, though as I have fore sworn booking anymore flights, I could have a problem with visiting South Africa .

However to get from Joburg to Cape Town, the train could be a less stressful option than either flying or driving. https://www.seat61.com/SouthAfrica.htm

Jeff Ingman 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Richardlake:

Depends on when you intend to go. It's mid winter in the Cape from end of May to  August with wet and sometimes wild weather. Jo'berg is cold at that time with some overnight frost. KZN has the best winter weather (during our summer) with good trad and sport climbing plus ice in the Drakensberg. Further north Waterfall Boven also benefits from pleasant 'winter weather'

If you don't know which crags you want to visit I suggest that you decide when you're going then assemble the itinerary ...... enjoy, Jeff 

In reply to Richardlake:

We drove from Johannesburg to Cape Town via Bloemfontein, Knysna and Montague, but then we had plenty of time. Didn't see any trouble but maybe we were lucky. 

If I was going back and only had two weeks then I would stay at either Waterval Boven or the Cederberg. Plenty of sport climbing in both locations to fill a couple of weeks

If you want trad and sport then I would probably spend 7 - 10 days in the Cederberg and a few days in Cape Town (Table Mountain)

Post edited at 16:30
 Garethza 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Richardlake:

I wouldnt bother going to both if you only have two weeks. Just stick to one and you should get plenty done. Make sure you hire a car. Note it will take you about a day to get to cederberg etc so you may end up losing a day either side. I would stick with cape town and sample some trad on table mountain which is super classic (take the cable car up and walk down to the crags) and then head to the cederberg or montagu for sport climbing although there are several crags within cape town for sport too.

Cederberg is obviously world reknown but montagu probably has more sport crags I would imagine but it hasnt got any bouldering so swings and roundabouts.. 

I would recommend going around october and the beginning of november as its not too hot and windy around then..  

OP Richardlake 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Garethza:

Thanks, super helpful!

We intend to go either in Spring or Autumn, missing out SA winter if that helps

In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Thanks, that helps!

Dave Garnett 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Richardlake:

I agree with Garethza, I wouldn't waste any of my two weeks travelling between Jo'burg and the Cape (and if I did, I would fly).

I'm biased, but there's more than enough in the Cedarberg, Cape Town, Paarl and Montagu to keep you busy.  There's a new Montagu guide just out too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...