UKC

Buzz - to infinity and beyond!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 21 Jan 2023

Lucky old bugger, not only does he get to go to the moon, live to a ripe old age of 93 (and counting) and now bags his 4th trophy wife!

(I say trophy, but at 93 anything is a trophy!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64359316

Removed User 21 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Top Boyo!

nathan79 21 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

I was thinking about him the other day that he was dead, them I saw this tale this morning. Some life.

In reply to nathan79:

Yes, what an amazing life. Surely one of the richest in experience on this planet (as well as hundreds of thousands of miles away from it.)

Lankyman 22 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

He's over the moon about it

In reply to Lankyman:

I sure he'll be having a honeymoon...

Jamie Wakeham 22 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

I was in the car when the news yesterday started the final piece with the words 'The former astronaut Buzz Aldrin...' and my heart utterly sank.  But no, he's just carrying on being Buzz.

I think, post apocalypse, the last of humanity may well be Buzz and Keef Richards...

profitofdoom 22 Jan 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I sure he'll be having a honeymoon...

All these astronaut puns are Apollo-ing 

Buzz Aldrin, what a hero, Korean war and everything. I really don't want to read his orbit-uary 

ThunderCat 23 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Although I'm pacifist, think violence is the worst way to solve a problem etc etc etc, the video of him tw@ing a moon landing denier who called him a liar made me smile. 

Ridge 23 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I was just about to mention that, absolutely brilliant!

graeme jackson 23 Jan 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

There's not much about his new wife on wiki - she looks to be in her late 40's. He's a lucky auld bugger. 

seankenny 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Yes, what an amazing life. Surely one of the richest in experience on this planet (as well as hundreds of thousands of miles away from it.)

Strong disagree. He did a truly amazing thing, but it was one thing that took up less than a decade of his life all told, and was followed by depression and alcoholism. In his book Michael Collins is very clear in his book that the Apollo astronauts were lucky - right place, right time - and took the opportunities bestowed on them by the unique combination of the Cold War and American wealth. I’m not even sure we can compare the “richness” of lives with intense peak experiences to those with a very different tenor, seems kind of reductive to me.

Luke90 23 Jan 2023
In reply to graeme jackson:

The BBC article says she's 63, so I reckon she'd probably be pleased with your guess.

OP wilkie14c 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Luke90:

I reckon there’s more chance of the moon being made from cheese than that being her own face

Post edited at 16:04
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2023
In reply to seankenny:

didn’t he do lots of far more important and interesting (in his opinion at least) work on research into sub orbital docking before and after Apollo 11, or am I wrong ? 

Rob Parsons 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> didn’t he do lots of far more important and interesting (in his opinion at least) work on research into sub orbital docking before and after Apollo 11, or am I wrong ? 

'Sub orbital'?

His doctoral research - done in the early 1960s - was all about orbital docking and rendezvous.

Edit: thesis available at https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/12652

Post edited at 21:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...