UKC

Chamonix summer season jobs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aidan Campbell 24 Jan 2023

Hi, I’m currently on a gap year and was thinking about doing a summer or spring season in chamonix, I was wandering if anyone had any post brexit tips and or companies that offer jobs around that time for climbers? Any other places in France that do this sort of work would work aswell.

ianstevens 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Aidan Campbell:

Do you have and EU passport or not? If not I suspect* you'll find it very difficult to get any kind of working visa for a summer job-type thing. No visa = no work of course.

*I'm not familiar with the French system explicitly, but in the EU country I am in this would be impossible.

Post edited at 08:33
 Mark Eddy 25 Jan 2023
 gooberman-hill 25 Jan 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.

mcawle 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Mark Eddy:

That link in particular refers to working abroad for a UK company. Probably also worth checking out the overview which basically states that to work for a local company you will in most cases need a job offer/visa: https://www.gov.uk/working-abroad

Timy2 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Aidan Campbell:

just turn, plenty going on in Cham...

Mark Eddy 25 Jan 2023
In reply to mcawle:

Yeh, that's why I linked to it. Trying to gain employment with a French or any EU based business will likely be a nightmare. Looking for a UK based employer is more likely to give a positive outcome

mcawle 25 Jan 2023
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Ah I see what you mean.

As far as I know, pretty much anything that isn't a business meeting or conference will need a visa, although I'm not up to play with French immigration/employment rules.

OP, one option might be to find a UK company that is offering remote work, where you are still working for a UK company/client (not a French one) and simply work remotely whilst you are there. Again I'm not familiar with the details in France, so yiou'd need to check, but it might be acceptable so long as 

1. the company/client is not based in France

2. you are not doing business with individuals or businesses in France

3. you don't remain in France (or potentially Schengen) longer than your visa

4. the primary purpose of your trip is for an activity that is permitted on your visa, e.g. climbing/hiking if you are on a tourist/visitor visa

Post edited at 12:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...