UKC

Climbing Chulilla, Spain First Week of May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MPramer 06 Feb 2023

Hi All,

My wife and I recently booked a trip to Spain for end of April/first week of May.  We are hoping to spend most of our time climbing in Chulilla but we are both concerned that perhaps conditions will be too hot. 

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone here has climbed at Chulilla this time of year and if so, how were conditions?  It does seem like there is ample shaded crags there.  Please let me know.

Thank you,

Max

turtlespit 06 Feb 2023
In reply to MPramer:

We climbed in Chulilla back in March 2019 and spent most of the week in around the Chorreras area, which is in the North facing gorge about a 10 min drive north of the town. It was in shade all day in March, which was a little chilly on some days, but hopefully that means it will be good at the start of May.  

Note that a bunch of routes in this area are around 40m.  Some might have intermediate lower offs, but you'll want to look at a guidebook.

The crags that are walkable from town seemed to be more polished, but we didn't climb many of those. 

Robert Durran 06 Feb 2023
In reply to MPramer:

It will probably depend on your heat tolerance and on the grades you want. Most of the easier crags are sunny and the good stuff in the shade tends to start at about 7a. It was too hot in the sun for me two weeks ago in January and too hard in the shade!

OP MPramer 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hi Robert and Turtle,

Thank you both, very helpful beta.  Yes, I've been scouting Chorrerras quite a bit.  Has a touch of Westerly, so seems like it'll get late afternoon sun.  I'm thinking that zone should be perfect in 70 degree weather.    

Much appreciated

trying.soft 10 Feb 2023
In reply to MPramer:

May temperatures should be similar to October. Too hot in the sun (unless cloudy), and quite decent in the shade (warm/cold depending on wind). 

The highlight of Chulilla is Oasis/Chorreras with 40-50m routes, all in the shade all day. Grades from 6b+ to 7c. It's a 7a-b paradise. 

Near town you have Tio Pepe which provides shade all day and cover from rain (a bit polished but still interesting). All grades

Muro de las Lamentaciones has awesome routes, but gets the shade after 2pm or so (October). ~All grades

Tesoro has shade and sun all day (depending on which wall) and has good routes from 5 to 6b.

Hope that all helps. I would not go without an 80m rope, unless you plan on missing out chorreras/oasis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...