UKC

Peter Dale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 11 Feb 2023

Has anyone climbed at Peter Dale? I saw recently the Peak Bolt Fund had done some rebolting there last year, and I think I've walked past the cliffs in the past but never gone and had a look at them close up so didn't notice the sport routes. Neither the UKC page or the BMC RAD entry have much info, and I don't own the Peak Limestone North guidebook - if anyone has been there, is it hard to find what's what? One of the easier sport route is mentioned on UKC as having no hangers or a lower off, is that possibly one that got rebolted?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/beta.

In reply to TobyA:

I haven’t climbed there since 1993 when I did some early repeat ascents with Big Sid. I’d be interested to know if any routes have been rebolted .

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

According to the UKC listing quite a few of the better lines were rebolted in 2022. I was involved with the original development back in 1984, it is a pretty minor venue thb.

Chris

OP TobyA 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks Chris and Chris.

I'm sure the better lines are the harder lines - most of which are too hard for me! So I was wondering if the rebolting covered the easier lines also.

I will go over there for a wander at some point and have a look! I'm thinking about buying the Peak Limestone North guide, although I only really need it for the esoteric stuff like Peter Dale. I guess it's pretty out of date on many of the bigger crags and between Rockfax and Gary's site I don't really need it for them anyway.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 11 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Don't bother buying the guide for that because it didn't make the cut. Find the link to the esoteric crags that didn't make the guide here.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/peak-limestone-nort--web-support

Offwidth 12 Feb 2023
In reply to kristian:

Cheers for the link kristian...  35 lines with trad from VD and sport from F5+....who knew?

OP TobyA 12 Feb 2023
In reply to kristian:

Thank you! I remember finding that pdf previously Kristian, but had forgotten I had downloaded it somewhere! :⁠-⁠) Getting forgetful clearly. 

Reading the descriptions of the "sport routes", not many bolts and "wires useful" seems a bit of a theme. Clearly not an overlooked low grade paradise, but I shall still go and have an explore on a sunny spring day.

mark20 12 Feb 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,

The UKC descriptions are up to date with which routes have been re-bolted. The plan is to re-bolt the remaining decent routes in the Spring (Nissed as a Pewt, Wilson's Pride, Ecole D-Escalade, Tree Pruner, Buckweed Bertha).

Then updating all the UKC descriptions and making an updated photo topo. And add some lower off tat on trees for the better looking trad lines (Drunk and Disorderly).

There will be some cleaning to do, and removal of old bolts. If you want to get involved drop me an email. 

Mark (PBF)

UKB Shark 12 Feb 2023

By the way if anybody reading this would like to support the Peak Bolt Fund with a donation that would be very welcome as the fund is currently low following the recent purchase of a new drill and large bolt and rings order.

Bank details: Peak Bolt Fund 544134 50061704

https://paypal.me/PeakBoltFund?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB

Thank you, Simon (also PBF)

In reply to TobyA:

I often walk the dogs down Hay Dale and along Peter Dale. There’s sometimes a herd of cows down there, but they tend to be inquisitive rather than a problem. The herd contributes to the whole mud bath vibe during the rainy season but the rest of the year it’s another lovely Derbyshire dale. I haven’t bothered taking a rope down there, but have found loads of shady bouldering spots for the summer on pretty solid limestone. Never been challenged by anyone about climbing, except for the usual ‘why are you carrying a bed?’ from walkers.  I think with rebolting it will be a nice venue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...